• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing homemade Caesar dressing

bobmac

I got sick of store brands with all the additives, so I made my own, including a raw egg. How long is it safe to store it? (And, yes, I've already been told not to use a raw egg.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

I got sick of store brands with all the additives, so I made my own, including a raw egg. How long is it safe to store it? (And, yes, I've already been told not to use a raw egg.

I've done a day or two and have not had issues. Just a quick whisking to re-combine the ingredients. And have used regular raw eggs. But if you want, you can get in the shell pasteurized eggs from some grocery stores.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Good Rule of Thumb for any egg product, whether cooked or raw, is three days. Much beyond that and you are asking for trouble.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Instead of using a raw egg, I'd recommend coddling your egg--boiling it in water for about 45 seconds. This will add to the safety of your dressing without compromising flavor.

That being said, I wouldn't save a homemade Caesar dressing for any more than 3 days tops.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I'm not sure that 45 seconds is long enough to reach 160F, the considered safe temperature. I boil for 5 minutes, the yolk is still runny and the white has somewhat set but this does not affect any usage in dressings or mayo and in 15 years we have never had a problem.-Dick

I'm not sure that 45 seconds is long enough to reach 160F, the considered safe temperature. I boil for 5 minutes, the yolk is still runny and the white has somewhat set but this does not affect any usage in dressings or mayo and in 15 years we have never had a problem.-Dick

When making a Caesar, 5 minutes is way too long for your egg. The idea is using a slightly boiled egg vs. a completely raw egg. No, it's not 160F, but it's safer than raw and still very usable for a Caesar.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I do coddle my egg for my dressing, but I know it's not going to make a difference safety wise. Still, I'm not worried. I can get in the shell pasteurized eggs, but for me, it seems silly to buy a dozen of them when I only need one for the dressing. If I needed a lot of eggs that were not going to be cooked (to make some egg nog, maybe?), I'd get some. Then use what's left for mayo or whatever.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"