• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fourex and Victoria Bitter in NY/NJ metro?

MJP

I studied in Australia for a semester in '02, and I miss the taste of Fourex and Victoria Bitter, which I was told were Queensland's beers of choice. Does anyone know a place where I can get them?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I studied in Australia for a semester in '02, and I miss the taste of Fourex and Victoria Bitter, which I was told were Queensland's beers of choice.  Does anyone know a place where I can get them?

I would try BierKraft in Brooklyn, to start.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Does anyone know a place where I can get them?

I don't think either one is "officially" exported from Australia to the US currently.

VB is a product of Foster's and, for a time, was available in the US (as an "oil can" and in bottles IIRC) but I can't remember whether it was contract-brewed in Canada (like Fosters) or came from Aust. Can't say I've seen it recently but, then, I don't look for those sorts of beers.

Castlemaine XXXX was, for a time, (late 80's - mid-90's ?) contract-brewed for the US market by Coors (it was mostly found at Outback Steakhouse) but I think that contract ended as well.

Not a lot of beer imported from Australia to the US- the only ones I bother with are Cooper's. Many of their "industrial light lagers" (even those mis-named "bitter") seem to come and go in this market, other than Foster's (which, ironically, is much bigger in the US and Europe than in it's home country).