• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner

Mano

I'm picking up a friend at Newark Airport 6 a.m. on Memorial Day and driving to the Dream hotel, which I believe is on West 55th. We'll be spending the day in the city catching up on almost 20 years.

What breakfast, lunch and dinner recommendations do you have? I'm sure we wouldn't mind taking a cab or subway someplace, but walking distance of a mile or two is fine. Nothing fancy and I'll probably be leaving before 5 p.m. to Philly, so dinner may not happen.

Thanks!

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

price range?

type of cuisine?

About $10-15 for breakfast and $20-25 for lunch. I'm up for any type of cuisine. In fact, I look at any trip to NYC as an opportunity to try something new and different. But it doesn't have to be.

My sister just recommended Saphire, an Indian place around B'way and 60th. "Good, not great, but it's a nice place." She also mentioned Jean George (sp?) Cafe' Artiste and O'Neals. According to her, there's lots of cafe's in that area.

Edit: I just checked the Jean George website and their prix fix lunch is $45. Excellent, I'm sure, but a little pricy.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Keep in mind that because it's a holiday, many restaurants will be on a weekend (brunch + dinner service) schedule, so hopefully that doesn't mess up your plans.

The Bar Room at the Modern is great, but doesn't Danny Meyer close some of his sit-down places on holidays?

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I think a lot of restaurants may be closed for Memorial's day, that's a pretty big holiday.

Most ethnic restaurants will definitely be open.

If open I'd heartily recommend Bar Room for lunch or dinner.

Another great lunch would be over at Daisy Mae's at 45th and 11th. While you're over there you can check out where your tax dollars are going and do your best Village People impression!

8 am – 5 pm Public visitation of ship in Manhattan Pier 90, 50

St & 12 Ave/West Side Hway **Note: Lines may cap as early as 3pm to ensure all visitors have toured the ships before 5pm when the ships close.**

8 am – 4 pm Navy Seal Static & Challenge Display Pier 90, 50

th St & 12th Ave/West Side Hway

If you're up for something different, you're a block away from 2 best-of-class Japanese restaurants, Sugiyama and Yakitori Totto. You should call and check their hours. Your proximity is a great asset for Totto; you can put your name down at open and then go back to your room and take a load off. Give them # @ the hotel and they'll call you when it's ready.

On 9th avenue there are a slew of great restaurants. There's also Tintol for Portugese tapas across Times Square.