• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet foodstuffs @ Home Goods, Marshalls, et al.

CaliPoutine

Whenever I go to the States, I head right for TJ Maxx( Winners in Canada), Home Goods, Marshalls, etc. As soon as I enter the store, I make a beeline for the gourmet foods section. I make it a rule to only buy stuff that is on clearance. My goal is to get a big bang for little money. Here is my latest haul from my trip to Florida( I spent a few days in Michigan too).

Do you buy food stuff at these places? Whats a favorite product?

gallery_25969_665_506306.jpg

Never tried these before, but at 3 bucks each, they seemed like a good deal. I have a breakfast catering job next month. I'll serve this with muffins.

gallery_25969_665_224638.jpg

gallery_25969_665_258785.jpg

These oils were a great find. I first discovered them at a TJ Maxx years ago and I love them. I paid full price the first time I bought them. They dont expire until July 08. The bbq sauce was 2.00 and contains NO high fructose corn syrup. The charlie trotter sauce was 1.00.

gallery_25969_665_209626.jpg

I have tons more pics if anyone is interested.

I always tend to check out the home good section 1st when go to these stores too! A few of my purchases have been:

Dave's Insanity Sauce (that stuff is wicked hot!)

Nielsen Massey vanilla extract

Fini balsamic vinegar

Sarabeth jam

(I tend to get more cookware and gadgets than foodstuffs, I guess)

You've got some great finds! And you're smart to check the expiration date. For some things, I wouldn't care too much, but I once bought a bottle of rancid walnut oil- yech. :wacko:

I used to pick up an occasional food item in my local TJ Maxx or Marshall's when I was based in norhte Jersey. Since returning to Syracuse in 2003 I have continued to scan the shelves but noticed an absence of known quality brands. I'll guess that this change is not chain-wide but perhaps they are shipping the bette stuff to more upscale markets?

All I'm spotting locally appears to be mundane stuff with fancy packaging and average quality - and none of it carries any brand name I've seen in Wegmans or in specialty food stores.

All I'm spotting locally appears to be mundane stuff with fancy packaging and average quality - and none of it carries any brand name I've seen in Wegmans or in specialty food stores.

Sadly, that is my experience, too. I have never seen anything with Charlie Trotter's name on it (or anyone else that I have recognized). But they do (once in awhile) have some great deals on Le Creuset and bath towels!

I used to pick up an occasional food item in my local TJ Maxx or Marshall's when I was based in norhte Jersey. Since returning to Syracuse in 2003 I have continued to scan the shelves but noticed an absence of known quality brands.  I'll guess that this change is not chain-wide but perhaps they are shipping the bette stuff to more upscale markets?

You know, come to think of it, since I moved to Ithaca last fall, I haven't bought anything food-like from TJ Maxx or Marshalls. All of those food purchases I made were from when I lived around DC. :hmmm:

I go to those stores all the time for random cookbook finds but have never bought any of the gourmet food products - is it generally safe - ie hasn't gone bad, stale, etc? what kind of stuff would you stay away from buying?

hehehe--I just had a super score at Marshall's--two 7 oz boxes of Lazzaretti Amoretti--on clearance--for $3 each!!!

That's way cheaper than Pepperidge Farm!!!

I told myself i was buying them for that amoretti cake, but i just finished eating the first box and opened the second one......

and i agree about there being some not so good food items at these stores--but you can usually tell whether they are just packaged to look good or are actually good.

I sell a lot of gift baskets at Christmas and buy all the special items at marshall's.

Cali--those honey preserves look delish0--I'll have to look for them.

Zoe

No TJ Maxx or Marshall's here, but we do have Ross, where I sometimes find fancy condiments, teas, and chocolates. They rarely have the same brands twice -- I think they're overstocks.

I also shop a local discount chain, PriceBusters, for Lazzaroni amaretti cookies in bags (instead of individually paper-wrapped) -- cheeeeeap!!!! -- Walkers shortbread, and Nutella (about half the price of supermarkets).

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I used to pick up an occasional food item in my local TJ Maxx or Marshall's when I was based in norhte Jersey. Since returning to Syracuse in 2003 I have continued to scan the shelves but noticed an absence of known quality brands.  I'll guess that this change is not chain-wide but perhaps they are shipping the bette stuff to more upscale markets?

That's been my take as well.

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one with this obsession! Not just TJ Maxx, but I frequently go to Tuesday Morning and pick up these kinds of things. I buy alot of the fruit syrups they have that are always on sale! I use them in making mead, or flavoring desserts. I have picked up the various oils that they always have and also the cookies! I use the cookies for pie or cheese cake crusts.

I always check out the kitchen ware in these stores too. I have gotten a lot of good deals! The best: a block of Henckels Twinstar plus knives for $48!!

Hmm! This might be a good day to go shopping!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Nice to see I have company. The food shelves at Marshall's have kept me in great jams and preserves for years. With "best by" dates a year or more out. I almost felt guilty yesterday buying Casa Guilia Pera Williams preserves at an Italian grocery store. Almost. (Still a better bargain than at the downtown upscale grocers.)

edited because best buy doesn't sell jams, well, not that kind.

Edited by hsm (log)

...but perhaps they are shipping the bette stuff to more upscale markets?

Now..........see.........this is what I'm finding as well. Nothing that I recoginize, nothing that really intrigues me and I always have the nagging suspicion that the stuff they had WASN'T stuff *I* wanted. And I would think being in southern LA county/almost Orange County my market would classify as upscale.......?

I have found some tremendous buys on cookware, gadgets, utensils, serving pieces, plates and stemware, but I've always stayed away from the actual foodstuffs.

Maybe I need to take a closer look??? :hmmm:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

...but perhaps they are shipping the bette stuff to more upscale markets?

Now..........see.........this is what I'm finding as well. Nothing that I recoginize, nothing that really intrigues me and I always have the nagging suspicion that the stuff they had WASN'T stuff *I* wanted. And I would think being in southern LA county/almost Orange County my market would classify as upscale.......?

I have found some tremendous buys on cookware, gadgets, utensils, serving pieces, plates and stemware, but I've always stayed away from the actual foodstuffs.

Maybe I need to take a closer look??? :hmmm:

I lived in Long Beach( for 10yrs) before I moved to Canada. You're right, I never really found anything great foodwise in Ross or Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

The best stuff I've found has been in Ann Arbor, MI.

..... All I'm spotting locally appears to be mundane stuff with fancy packaging and average quality - and none of it carries any brand name I've seen in Wegmans or in specialty food stores.

You know, come to think of it, since I moved to Ithaca last fall, I haven't bought anything food-like from TJ Maxx or Marshalls. All of those food purchases I made were from when I lived around DC. :hmmm:

Is there actually a TJ Maxx or Marshall's in Ithaca? There wasn't when I lived there in the early 90's but then again - the mega development on Rte 13 was just a twinkle in developers' eyes back then :rolleyes:

If you get up to Syracuse for higehr end and specialty foood products (or for other reasons) you really should check out Lombardi's Imports as well as the new Place called Vince's Imports that his brother opened recently out in North Syracuse. Not only is the selection excellent - far better than Wegman's for Italian specialty items (an area where Weggie's falls very short) but their prices are very competitive. They tend to be cheaper than the large grocery chains for meats and cheeses (not to mention that fantastic fresh Italian sausage that they make in-house).

..... All I'm spotting locally appears to be mundane stuff with fancy packaging and average quality - and none of it carries any brand name I've seen in Wegmans or in specialty food stores.

Is there actually a TJ Maxx or Marshall's in Ithaca? There wasn't when I lived there in the early 90's but then again - the mega development on Rte 13 was just a twinkle in developers' eyes back then :rolleyes:

If you get up to Syracuse for higehr end and specialty foood products (or for other reasons) you really should check out Lombardi's Imports as well as the new Place called Vince's Imports that his brother opened recently out in North Syracuse. Not only is the selection excellent - far better than Wegman's for Italian specialty items (an area where Weggie's falls very short) but their prices are very competitive. They tend to be cheaper than the large grocery chains for meats and cheeses (not to mention that fantastic fresh Italian sausage that they make in-house).

Yup, there's a TJ Maxx and a Tuesday Morning on Triphammer, in a shopping center across from Pyramid Mall....

Thanks for the recommendations and link! I tend to be passing through Syracuse for business travel, but one weekend, I'd like to make a bona fide food venture up there with cooler in tow. Until then, I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled on the home goods store shelves and in Wegmans (Weggie's :raz:).

• 3 weeks later...

Crystallized ginger slices. Which I am nibbling on right now. :smile: Which are very good. :biggrin:

They are staving off the hunger as I stare in admiration at the coppery-glaze over deep forest green Umbrian terra-cotta bean pot I also got there today for the grand price of fourteen dollars and ninety nine cents. :rolleyes:

It is going to be filled with veggies and beans and onions and garlic and

maybe even some cinnamon and crystallized ginger*

for a medieval tasting sort of thing

(if there's any left by the time it hits the oven :raz: ).

Grazie, TJ Maxx.

Jams and Preserves - Sarabeth's is good.

Maple syrups galore

Stroopwafels

Different oils

--------------------------

When they have them I buy the store out of...

King Leo's Pepermint Sticks for my dad. Found 7 boxes in Pico Rivera last week!

King Leo's Key Lime Puffs for me. Found 4!

Fralinger's Salt Water Taffy for my dad.

Maybe they're not gourmet but it seems Marshalls and Ross are the only places I can find them and I refuse to pay Vermont Country Store prices and shipping for them.