• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Skate

chocklateer

I have a lovely piece of skate in my freezer that I need to consume soon!!! Only, I'm a little short of a)knowledge of the best way to cook it b) ideas for a yummy but simple(flavours-wise) preparation.

Thanks for your help!

D.

you could eat it korean style, which is raw with lots of gochugaru (chile flakes). If you eat it this way, it'll be really crunchy because of the cartilage - you don't remove it in this preparation

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I used to serve it very lightlyly dusted w/ s & p and flour then pan seared and topped w/ a browned butter, chopped scallions and sesame seeds sauce. I love the texture of skate, so delicate.

Steam it with black bean, soy, shaosing, garlic & spring onion.  10-15 mins depending on the thickness of your skate.

I usually use the above method suggested by APPS411 but this sounds great. Have you ever had it served this way in China, or did you adapt this recipe on your own?

Steam it with black bean, soy, shaosing, garlic & spring onion.  10-15 mins depending on the thickness of your skate.

I usually use the above method suggested by APPS411 but this sounds great. Have you ever had it served this way in China, or did you adapt this recipe on your own?

All my Chinese relations cook skate this way, my mother included where i first learned it from (of course). I think it's just as nice this way as the French Black Butter method which is also delicious. Try it, see what you think.

Skate is a funny fish, it goes off quite quickly. If i buy a fresh piece i always try to cook it straightaway. It seems to noticeably go off even in the fridge during the course of a day.

Its funny.. Until about a couple of years ago skate was just a garbage fish that we just throw back after a day of fishing in the tri-state area. I still catch enormous amounts of skate but i am too skeeved out to filet them. They are delicious though.

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

You can start it off by pan frying it, then finish it in the oven. It is often served with a brown butter. Just warm some butter until it starts to turn a golden brown (be careful not to let it burn) and pour it over the fish when you are serving it. I think it's a delicious fish.

A while back, I made Stake wing roated with Sichuan pepercorn, leeks and asparagus. Topped with spicy Sichuan pork , which people seemed to like. The original post can be found here. You don't need to use all the same ingredients, just use what you have around for the sauce.

gallery_21049_162_39081.jpg

I second brown butter, but I also like adding capers, croutons, and lemon juice (and maybe some parsley). This sauce with sauteed skate is one of my favorite fish preparations of all time.

I second brown butter, but I also like adding capers, croutons, and lemon juice (and maybe some parsley).  This sauce with sauteed skate is one of my favorite fish preparations of all time.

Marinate it will coconut milk, yellow curry, salt & pepper, minced garlic, and ginger then wrap it in banana leaf before throwing it on the BBQ grill.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

This may seem dreadfully low brow here, but I enjoy skate cut into nuggets, dusted with seasoned flour and fried. Soaked the skate wings in milk overnight but that was it in the way of preparation. Nice sweetish taste reminiscent of scallops IMHO.