• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Sausage Market

Bockwurst, bauernwurst and pinkelwurst at Schaller & Weber (2nd Ave. at 86th).

Yorkville is a good wurst destination, because you have Schaller & Weber and the Yorkville Packing House (1560 Second Avenue at 81st Street) within an easy walk of one another. Don't confuse the Schaller & Weber mass-market products, available in many grocery stores, with the Schaller & Weber in-store experience. The store itself is a real old-world German butcher shop with excellent sausages. Yorkville Packing House is a smaller-scale Hungarian operation, also excellent.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I like the chorizo from Spain by Palacios...available in mild and spicy. Despana on Broome St. is a good source for this as well as other Spanish sausages (and jamon), but the chorizo is carried in other locations around the city (Agata comes to mind, but probably a number of the other "gournet" markets carry it as well).

You can't do much better than Faicco's and Esposito's for pork sausages of all types.

The newest whole foods has a huge selection of house-smoked sausages, as well as uncooked wursts and the like.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

When mentioning Esposito's, are references being made to the Esposito's on Court St. in Brooklyn or another one elsewhere? The one on Court Street is my favorite destination for Italian sausages of all types.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Years ago I used to by fresh (not cured) Mexican style chorizo at a Spanish market up here in Syracuse. The owner, who was Puerto Rican, was procuring it at some sort of wholesale market in the Bronx. It rocked. A former collaegue of mine, who was raised in the Yucatan, pronounced it to be as good as what she cooked with at home before coming to the US.

That Syracuse market is long gone - my best guess for a Manhattan supplier would be that place out on 10th Ave that has the killer taqueria window in the back of the store (help me out here - what's the name fo that place?).

When I lived in the NYC area it was only a ten minute drive to Ironbound. At that time I bought both my dried and cured chorizo from the Seabra's market on Ferry Street in Ironbound.

I've only gotten cold cuts from them but I bet Salumeria offers some of the best house-made sausages in the city - look at the variety alone

http://www.salumeriabiellese.com/retail.html

You may very well be right, but not because it has such an incredible variety. That only necessarily means that one can purchase many different types of sausage. The best of any particular variety may yet be somewhere else. By no means am I arguing against your conclusion, just the argument used to support it. :smile:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I'll chip in with my two cents... Salumeria Biellese is one of the best producers of sausage and cured pork in the City. Their guanciale is the best, and funkiest I've had anywhere in the US. They're the supplier to many of the best restaurants in the City, and I'm not sure how much retail business they do. It's great that they do retail business at all, as that makes it possible for us to have access to these same amazing products. All their sausages are first rate, but one of the things that makes it special is that they offer sausages like cotechino that most other shops do not. If there's anyone else in the City making hard-to-find sausages like zampone, I'm not aware of it.

--

I've only gotten cold cuts from them but I bet Salumeria offers some of the best house-made sausages in the city - look at the variety alone

You may very well be right, but not because it has such an incredible variety. That only necessarily means that one can purchase many different types of sausage. The best of any particular variety may yet be somewhere else. By no means am I arguing against your conclusion, just the argument used to support it. :smile:

It would have been closer to my original intent had I written "look at their variety, too". My conclusion was based primarily on what I've sampled, heard and read about them, but that they offer such a large variety means most likely they have the turnover to support it and the expertise to craft such an array, assumptions which might not be weighed heavily but should be considered...

It would have been closer to my original intent had I written "look at their variety, too". My conclusion was based primarily on what I've sampled, heard and read about them, but that they offer such a large variety means most likely they have the turnover to support it and the expertise to craft such an array, assumptions which might not be weighed heavily but should be considered...

No doubt.

Twitter - @docsconz

Just looking over the topic, I don't think Faicco's got enough play. They really do make some excellent stuff.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

No, I don't really know, because I don't buy them to take home.

I walked through the really big market recently and looked at their selection, though. The place is called Deluxe, and it spans the block between Mott and Elizabeth in between Hester and Grand.

Michael aka "Pan"

There's a Chinese-sausage shop on Hester St. between Chrystie and Bowery (north side) - don't know the name, but the selection is vast and they run around $5-$6 a pound...all the sausages are hanging from hooks in the ceiling - kinda reminds me of a nice, little Italian sausage shop.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I noticed the other day that the market in Grand Central has a very wide selection of sausages. I've sampled none of it so can't comment on quality but I was very impressed by the breadth.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 1 year later...

Central Market in Austin just started carrying their stuff. I'm definitely going to check out the shop next time I'm in the city.

There's a Chinese-sausage shop on Hester St. between Chrystie and Bowery (north side) - don't know the name, but the selection is vast and they run around $5-$6 a pound...all the sausages are hanging from hooks in the ceiling - kinda reminds me of a nice, little Italian sausage shop.

Do they actually make these themselves? Is it major improvement over the sausages you can buy from the Chinese supermarkets? I sure hope so, as so much of that looks to be cheap and mass-produced.