• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tabatchnick's is no more?

markk

I was just about to drive to Tabatchnick's in the Millburn Mall on Vaux Hall Road (where Syd's used to be) and I thought to call them before I went. The phone's disconnected. I eventually got the number of the Drug Fair that's on the other wing of that strip mall, and was told that Tabatchnick's closed up, as did the bakery and the kosher deli.

Does anybody know any more about this? Is there still a Tabatchnick's making soup somewhere?

Talk about a shock!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

From an EG thread last summer:

There was an article in todays Star Ledgar about the Milburn Mall and Tabachnicks and Sonny Amsters Bakery closing down.  It did mention Syd's as well (not closing).

There is a sign in the storefront where Syd's used to be for "Five Guys: Famous Burgers and Fries".  Appears to be a franchise, with locatons already in NJ.  Anyone know anything about them?

They are out of the Washington DC area and are spreading very rapidly. Just opened one in Center City Philadelphia.

Have not been to any yet but the hamburgers are supposed to be very good.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

The outpost in Center City Philadelphia has been open for a year or more. Burgers are considerably better than any other chain's I've tried, and the french fries are very good. That's probably because they are cooked to order and don't spend time waiting under the heat lamps, as well as basic quality of ingredients.

Still, I'd rather have a good appetizer store and superlative hot dog emporium than another chain burger joint, no matter how decent the burger.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report