• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish & Chip Batter

Cookwithlove

OLD FASHION OR ENGLISH FISH AND CHIP BATTER

Anyone have a better recip than mine for english fish and chip?.

12 tbsp flour

1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda

seasonging

Mix well and gradually add beer depending upon how thick yoy want the batter to be.

Thanks

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Very cold beer helps, some people are using club soda instead, and some are going lighter by using rice flour...

enjoy

I want to fry something, maybe Monday is onion ring day

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'd forget the bicarb. In my experience thin, golden crunchy batter is best achieved with flour and liquid only. (I prefer soda water to beer in this situation only!)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Harold McGee recently published this in the NY Times, adapted from Heston Blumenthal. It yields an unusual but amazingly crisp batter - that stays crisp far longer than standard ones. It evidently has to do with the alcohol.

1 1/4 cups white rice flour

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups vodka

1 1/4 cups lager beer