• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Fish and Seafood Markets in NOLA

Where do you get fish and seafood in New Orleans?

I often shop at the Big Fisherman, although the selection tends to be small. The Crescent City Farmers market has always been a reliable source for shrimp, and recently they added a vendor who often has fresh black drum. A few months ago I discovered the Westwego shrimp lot. The prices were cheaper than anything I'd seen elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure that I could have struck an even better bargain that I did.

Where else are people buying seafood and fish?

I raised this question recently at a party. One friend suggested "that guy who parks his truck in the empty lot on Claiborne Avenue that's across from the gas station and just before I-10." I've never seen this guy, and I'm not 100% sure where he's parking. Everyone else at the party, however, seemed to know exactly where this guy parked his truck. IN fact, they'd all bought shrimp from him before. He can't be the only guy in a truck with shrimp.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Drive south towards Houma, there were always trucks and coolers on the side of the road with fresh shrimp, crawfish, and fish, as well as satsumas and other veggies on that stretch between Boutte and Houma. I've even bought crawfish boudin from one of these folks that was outstanding.

In the metro area proper, I think that Hong Kong Market on the Westbank on Behrman Highway has the best/freshest/most diverse offerings, especially in finfish. It regularly carries stuff I never see anywhere else, with lots of gulf species (as opposed to Whole Foods' global fish sourcing). I've also patronized Capt Sid's and Shaffer & Rusich in Bucktown, although the offerings vary widely. Sam Perino's on W'bank Expressway in Westwego (okay, it might be Marerro, I'm not sure where the line is drawn) has turtle, fish, crabs, crawfish, etc.

A bit farther afield, Luling/Boutte has several seafood markets with good offerings...Bayou Bounty (my fav for crawfish, a good source for wild Belle River swamp crawfish), Zeringue's (good source for wild Des Allemands catfish), Hebert's/Irene's (lots of different things, from turtle to oysters by the sack to crawfish, shrimp, etc).