• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

USB Cooking

Carrot Top

I've also seen USB coffee warmers as well.

However, you're neglecting the next big heat source ... notebook computers that get so hot that you can actually get seriously burned if you use them on your lap. Some manufacturers have even stopped using the word "laptop" in favor of "notebook" for this reason. I'm guessing a notebook hot enough to burn you would make some interesting-tasting scrambled eggs.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

A notebook is not going to cut it. The most power you can get from USB is a measley 5 volts DC with Minimal amperage.

However, using a desktop computer, there is a ready-made 12 volts DC from the power supply. With a beefy (no pun intended) power supply, the 12V rail can be rated at 3 amps or more. They sell cigarette lighters that you mount in an unused drive bay that use this voltage, like they have in cars.

So the thought is, if you are extremely careful of the amperage load, you can use any portable cooking thing out there, except microwaves, which would just be silly. The little coil of doom used for heating coffee in a cup is possible, and the travel oven that Alton Brown discovered in Dining on Asphalt may be used. After that, who knows?

And all the USB drink chillers are is a aluminum heatsink and a fan. Maybe someone can tell me if they are worth the effort, but my hopes aren't high. Some may be using some captive freon in a copper tube creating a heat pipe, but the claim that it instantly chills to 45 degrees is a bit specious to me.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I have seen a cupwarmer that's USB-powered.

So I could have a drink cooler on my right and a drink warmer on my left. All I need now is a small blender to make pina coladas in the middle of it all and I'll be set. :smile:

I'm guessing a notebook hot enough to burn you would make some interesting-tasting scrambled eggs.

Slow-scrambled eggs are the best, it is true, but someone would have to invent some sort of thing to cook them in for easy clean up. Maybe plastic wrap-scrambled eggs/sous vide? :rolleyes: Just lay the notebook upside down, put the plastic wrapped eggs on top and poke at them now and then with your fingers to scramble them nicely till done. :raz:

Here is more information about the USB grill, along with a helpful Google translation!  :biggrin: 

This seems to be a follow-up to a failed attempt to boil an egg using USB power.

Fascinating site.

And I think Google translations needs to win a humor award of some sort. :biggrin:

So the thought is, if you are extremely careful of the amperage load, you can use any portable cooking thing out there, except microwaves, which would just be silly. The little coil of doom used for heating coffee in a cup is possible, and the travel oven that Alton Brown discovered in Dining on Asphalt may be used. After that, who knows?

And all the USB drink chillers are is a aluminum heatsink and a fan. Maybe someone can tell me if they are worth the effort, but my hopes aren't high. Some may be using some captive freon in a copper tube creating a heat pipe, but the claim that it instantly chills to 45 degrees is a bit specious to me.

Yes, in practical terms it does seem a bit nutty if one actually stops to think about it.

But who would want to do that? :wink:

P.S. Besides the travel oven that works in a car, I've also come across (by the same line of manufacturer) refrigerators and slow-cookers.