• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Boqueria Stall Project

That is very exciting! What is the basis of the name Pazzta 920? The Pazzta is fairly intuitive (I think), but what of the 920?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That is very exciting! What is the basis of the name Pazzta 920? The Pazzta is fairly intuitive (I think), but what of the 920?

Easy :biggrin: , it's for the stall number, 920 - 921.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Looking good, Silly. When's the grand opening?

This Sat the 30th. By all means stop by if you like.

I'll certainly try to, thanks. Good luck!

Very Cool and Buenas Suerte! We arrive in Barcelona on Monday afternoon so we'll visit you when we hit the market next week. Who should I ask for? Roberto

sockster,

remember that most of the market is closed on Monday, save for the stalls in the front which are more oriented to tourism these days.

mar,

we'll be there for a long time, hopefully, so there should be plenty of occasions.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

I'm typing this sitting in our stall, in the Boqueria market. Pretty much everything is in place, plus or minus a few details.

We just finished lunch and are about to start producing what should be the first batch of stuffed pasta, to be sold tomorrow morning... I am a happy man.

I'm typing this sitting in our stall, in the Boqueria market. Pretty much everything is in place, plus or minus a few details.

We just finished lunch and are about to start producing what should be the first batch of stuffed pasta, to be sold tomorrow morning... I am a happy man.

Fantastic! What is the first batch going to be?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Fantastic! What is the first batch going to be?

Today we're making both veal ravioli and eggplant pansotti (triangular ravioli).

Great news. I'm sure I speak for many here in saying that -- if you can hand a digital camera to a by-stander while you toil! -- I'd love to see the production in process.

Now that you're about to open, can you share with us some of the business information? What is your price range? How does your supply chain work? Who's staffing it?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hey Silly

Congratulations on the opening of your stall. I'm not sure exactly when I will be back at the Boqueria, most likely some Tuesday or Thursday when they send me again with the driver from elBulli to do the weekly shopping there. I'll let you know a few days before. If not then in early October when I leave Spain I will go by Barcelona for a few days so I will definitely go by then. Good luck.

IMG_4520b.jpg

Chris, to answer your questions:

The plain pasta, such as spaghettis, are in the 7-10 euro range per kilo, depending on the ingredient( plain egg, beetroot, spinach, squid, saffron, pumpkin, etc.)

The stuffed pasta (ravioli, pansotti, etc) is in the 15-18 euro range, also per kilo and also depending on the filling, and it can go above these prices for things like Xmas specials, like foie ravioli.

We also have a lunch menu, for a price that will be around 6-7 euros, for a bowl of pasta, a drink, a piece of bread and either a starter (ie we're making gazpacho now) or a dessert. We haven't started serving the full thing yet, as we need to adjust the logistics of our main product, the pasta itself.

As for the supply chain, we have the best produce we can ask for, coming from the market itself. Most of the ingredients we use, save for flour and some cheeses, are not 50 feet away from our stall. We can daily adjust our production accordingly, and offer the freshest products right at their peak. We're so lucky to have the opportunity to do so, as I think there are very few establishments (save for high end or product oriented places, of course) who can do this. In a way we are doing market cuisine, from within the market!

A successful opening gathering yesterday evening for the privileged invited few, and the even-more-privileged blagging many. It was great to meet Silly Disciple and chat about their ideas and prospects. There'll be no problem getting customers if they continue to give away such delicious free wine, but I suspect it won't form the basis of a very stable business model. Anyway, the stuffed pasta was coming out great - I'll be interested to see how they keep up with the volume there - and there were some nice variations in the long stuff: cuttlefish ink, beetroot (one of my favourite tricks too, that one). The stall also looks even more striking than the photos suggest: those fabulous tiles really do stand out. So good luck to Silly, Pedro and the boys, and I look foward to renewing a bit of England/Argentina rivalry with them on the football field, with many days of pasta-based refuelling.

No photos because, well, I haven't got a camera. But there were at least a couple of journos there, so expect coverage soon...

I'll endorse what Dan said: thanks very much to Silly and Pedro for the hospitality. The pasta was first class and they certainly proved that they have the ability to keep it coming when demand is high!

Best wishes for the future of the stall; I'll certainly be going myself when I treat myself to some complex carbohydrates and I'll spread the word of the good things that you are doing as well as I can.

• 1 month later...
Hi Silly:

Do you have a menu in English online?  I will be in Barcelona in Oct. and will stop by your stall.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Since we change our menu following what we find fresh in the market every week we don't keep an updated menu online, although perhaps we should.

On any given day we will have three or four different types of plain pasta (as in not stuffed), like egg, tomato, spinach, squid ink, beet root, whole flour, etc.

Then for stuffed pasta we usually have at least one meat filling (it might be pork or veal), one or two seasonal vegetable options, and one special.

For instance, now we have a Butifarra (Catalan sausage) with mushrooms and onions ravioli, a spinach and Ricotta ravioli, a beetroot and goat cheese panzerotti, and an eggplant and Pecorino panzerotti.

We also have at least three home made sauces to choose from, as well as soup and an alcohol-free sangria.

Also, we do have the daily menu in English in our stall, so do stop by when you visit the Boqueria, I'm sure you'll find something you like. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this thread through from the beginning. I adore your wonderful market, but since I only get to barcelona every couple years I'm e-mailing dear friends there to alert them to your stall. I know they'll love your pastas.

I would just like to add my congratulations to Silly and also a big thank you. My wife and I were in Barcelona in June, a couple of days before he was due to open. I called in to say hello and he very kindly spent some time giving us both advice and directions on where to eat during our stay. We had a great time with a very memorable meal at Abac amongst other highlights. Life has been very busy since we got back and I'm ashamed at how long it has taken me to get round to thanking you Silly. The stall and samples you had out that day (it was the Friday just before you opened I think) looked fantastic.

We will definately be returning to Barcelona!

Ken

• 11 months later...