• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kalik beer in New Jersey?

jb_973

Does anyone know if/where I can pick up a case of Kalik beer in New Jersey?

I first tried Kalik about 8 years down in the Bahamas, and had it again on a recent trip to the Keys. A quick bit of googling shows that there's a place down in Maryland that sells it, but a 150 mile drive is a little far to pick up a case of beer (no matter how nice it is!)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason: where in Maryland is it? I will be down there this weekend for a friend's wedding, and if it's not too far from I-95, I can score some. I've wanted to try Kalik since I read about it in one of Jimmy Buffett's books.

I've found the best way to track liquor retailers is to call the importer and get their regional distributors, then call them and find out which stores in the area distribute it.

Beeradvocate.com is a very good source for liquor; they've helped me track down some nice Belgian beers in the past. Sign up, ask around, and see what transpires. They're like Egullet but for beer.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

MJP: The place is called State Line Liquors - they're just off I-95, in Elkton. They have it listed on their website, however you should give them a call.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.statelineliquors.com/beer.php?p...CO,%20CARIBBEAN

I did a bit more hunting, and found the following page -

http://www.brewpalace.com/BeerDetails.asp?...30&BeerTab=Beer

I just shot off an email to Star Brand Imports, the US importer of Kalik. Let's see what they have to say.

Anyway, if you're in that part of MD, you should definitely pick some up. It is a nice lager, especially as the temperature warms up outside!

I heard back from Star Brand Imports - they confirmed that it is only currently available in Florida and Maryland. Next time I'm visiting friends down in Delaware, I will have to take a detour!

I'll bring some back, where are you located?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

An update!

MJP, the superstar eGullet poster, came to my rescue. I am now in possession of a six pack of these beauties. He was down in Maryland over the weekend, took a detour to State Line Liquors on the way back to pick up a few bottles for himself, and very kindly picked up an extra pack for me. Many, many thanks, MJP!!!

I can't wait until the weekend to fire up the grill, cook something appropriate, and wash it down with one or two of these...

gallery_19431_4718_133341.jpg

Yikes, keep those clear bottles out of direct sunlight or you will wind up drinking one skunky lager.

Oh yeah - they were on the table for two minutes (for the picture), then straight in the fridge. No one wants skunky lager!