• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn relish

lmarshal1

I love the corn relish sometimes served with a chicken breast or a chop at restaurants. I'm experimenting with my own recipe for it: a can of whole-kernal corn (drained), a can of black (or small red) beans (drained, rinsed), a couple teaspoons of pimiento, a quarter cup of chopped onion, a half cup of chopped sweet green or red or yellow peppers, ground black pepper, some parsley and basil, and a vinegar/sugar/oil dressing (just a quarter cup total) or even bottled Italian. Does anyone have a recipe? I love this sort of thing...any marinated bean and/or corn salad/relish. Thanks. LKM

Edited by lmarshal1 (log)

My typical corn relish starts with fresh ears of corn, red, green and some kind of hot peppers, onions and garlic. I like to blister the ear of corn on the stove top and then blacken the peppers. Sweat an onion, then add garlic, corn kernels, diced peppers which were seeded and skinned. Extra flavor enhancers in the form of chili powder, lime juice and or cilantro can be added in addition to salt and pepper.

gallery_6878_3484_24004.jpg

One of the favorites around here is from an old Minimalist (Bittman, NY Times) column-- take corn kernels put them in a hot skillet and sort of brown them and then add whatever you want. We favor scallions and jalapenos. I'll have to dig around and see if I can't find the article and what other sorts of combinations he recommends.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Equal parts fresh basil, fresh tomatoes and fresh corn is a great combination. Then accent with about 1/4 part red onion and 1/4 part green onion. Olive oil and a touch of champagne vinegar.

For a southwestern tinge, use fire-roasted tomatoes (the canned muir glen are great) and cilantro in place of the basil.

a favorite around this house is a can of corn, black olives (chopped), parsley, red onion, tomato (chopped), and then some kind of favoring..depending on what I am eating, if a Latino dish, then it's chilli powder, cumin, salt, pepper. Or sometimes just plain vinegar.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 11 months later...

If you have access to fresh or frozen field peas (pink eyes, lady peas, white acres), you can make a wonderful relish of the cooked/cooled peas mixed with fresh corn, sweet (Vidalia) onion, red bell pepper, cilantro, olive oil and lime juice. It's one of my favorites for summer potlucks. You can use it as a relish or serve as salsa with chips, or as a sidedish salad.

I don't like spicy hot things, so my relishes tend to be sweet or sweet-sour. What's most important is that you use fresh corn, not canned or frozen, for the superior crnchy texture. It can be supermarket corn if you buy the super sweets whose sugar turns to starch so slowly.

Cook the corn on the cob, cool, then slice off the kernels. Combine with celery, tomato, peppers, cucumbers and green or white onion, all diced, and some herbs if you like. Parsley is nice. Dress with a few tablespoons white wine vingar and sugar, and sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate overnight.

Before serving, drain and toss with a T. or two of mayonnaise just to mellow out the flavor and give it a little body.

I like to serve soup with good bread and this or another relish.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

BarbaraY: I got a kick out of your story. Thanks. I especially like a cold vegetable salad in hot weather.

Onrushpam: I like the idea of using fresh peas. I'll try that.

CKatCook: I've always been an olive hater until the last few years, and your addition of chopped black olives to the corn sounds tasty.

lkm