• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Early Bird Special

Mussina

I agree that the "early bird" phrase has gotten extremely hackneyed by overuse. My suggestion is already in your question...

How about "Early Arrival Offering" or "Early Arrival Price Fixe Menu" or "Pre-evening Price Fixe Special" ?

(and I do get more burned out than the usual person on the "early" references as it is my family name on my mom's side!)

We are planning to offer a prix fixe menu for early arrivals and would like to describe it as something other than an "early bird special".  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The excellent Hammer and Pincers in Leicestershire uses the term First Service Menu. Sounds a bit jargony but beats Early Bird anyway.

Mussina, where are you located? In many larger cities, "pre-theater" works.

Also, I think "twilight" is a nice word. And in baseball, they use "twinight," for double headers that fall along the day-evening divide -- that's kind of a cool word too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

First-seating

Thanks everyone!! "First seating" was exactly what I came up with after reading the first service suggestion. It implies "get out of your seats at 7:00" ever so subtly. I love the pre-theater recommendation as well and wish we had a theater but being in the country (Connecticut) the only theater is our local high school. :wink:

Also, being a bball fan (hence my screen name - my favorite pitcher - love that knuckle curve) I also like the twinight idea. Maybe that is something for the fall when it gets dark sometime before 9:00.

Thanks again.

Edited by Mussina (log)