• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My October Trip

grace3

I will be in Paris in October with a friend who will be a first timer to Paris. We will be staying in a ParisPerfect apartment in the 7th. Arriving Oct. 15 and departing Oct. 25. This is what I have planned for evening dining..very open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I have a first timer with me.

15th-Le Petit Trouquet

16th-La Cerisaie

17th-Au Petit Tonneau (my traveling companion will have been on a 1/2 day trip to Epernay)

18th-Open..I had Chez l'ami Jean. I have looked at his place a number of times. I think yes and then decide no. Laidback's recent comments have again turned me off to it.

19th-I have Taillevent reservations

20th- Le Florimond

21st-Les Fables des la Fontaine. I have communicated with Catherine Constant.

22nd-Les Papilles..we will have been on a minivan day trip to Fontainebleu,Barbizon and Vaux le Vicomte

23rd-Carte Blanche

24th-Le Clos des Gourmets

All comments are very much welcomed!!

Joan

I will be in Paris in October with a friend who will be a first timer to Paris. We will be staying in a ParisPerfect apartment in the 7th. Arriving Oct. 15 and departing Oct. 25. This is what I have planned for evening dining..very open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I have a first timer with me.

15th-Le Petit Trouquet

16th-La Cerisaie

17th-Au Petit Tonneau (my traveling companion will have been on a 1/2 day trip to Epernay)

18th-Open..I had Chez l'ami Jean. I have looked at his place a number of times. I think yes and then decide no. Laidback's recent comments have again turned me off to it.

19th-I have Taillevent reservations

20th- Le Florimond

21st-Les Fables des la Fontaine. I have communicated with Catherine Constant.

22nd-Les Papilles..we will have been on a minivan day trip to Fontainebleu,Barbizon and Vaux le Vicomte

23rd-Carte Blanche

24th-Le Clos des Gourmets

All comments are very much welcomed!!

Joan

Let's try to keep the conversation focused on food :smile:

I think your list looks pretty good as well. With so many restaurants in Paris it's hard to come up with a perfect list. I would also keep my options open as you never know what new places will open between now and October.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I have a philosophical objection to your list. Two, actually, neither of which are unique to your plans so I'm not picking on just you.

First, since you have an apartment, I think you should pick one day to go to one of the markets cook your own dinner. Seems a shame to go all the way to France and not enjoy that part of its culinary culture (assuming you like to cook) and, with all the charcouterie, pastry, cheeses and so on available you can concentrate on a couple of dishes and still knock out a multi-course feast with only a modest effort. On my too-rare trips to France, I can't wait for my day in the kitchen. The Rue Cler market is right there in the 7th and I'm sure there are other, possibly better spots nearby if you know which day to look.

And, second, I think you should cancel one of your reservations and spend an afternoon/evening wandering around town drinking wine or aperos and waiting for the magic to happen, in the form of some charming side-street bistro that no guidebook lists (if there are any left that someone hasn't cataloged :wink: ) which won't serve the best food you eat on this trip but which will somehow be one of you favorite memories when you return home. I notice you have Au Petite Tonneau on your list -- I found that restaurant completely by accident (though it is in a guidebook or two) and consider it one of the great moments of my last trip through the City of Lights.

Sure make some reservations. But also set aside time to let Paris happen.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I have a philosophical objection to your list. Two, actually, neither of which are unique to your plans so I'm not picking on just you.

First, since you have an apartment, I think you should pick one day to go to one of the markets cook your own dinner.  Seems a shame to go all the way to France and not enjoy that part of its culinary culture (assuming you like to cook) and, with all the charcouterie, pastry, cheeses and so on available you can concentrate on a couple of dishes and still knock out a multi-course feast with only a modest effort.  On my too-rare trips to France, I can't wait for my day in the kitchen.  The Rue Cler market is right there in the 7th and I'm sure there are other, possibly better spots nearby if you know which day to look.

And, second, I think you should cancel one of your reservations and spend an afternoon/evening wandering around town drinking wine or aperos and waiting for the magic to happen, in the form of some charming side-street bistro that no guidebook lists (if there are any left that someone hasn't cataloged :wink: ) which won't serve the best food you eat on this trip but which will somehow be one of you favorite memories when you return home. I notice you have Au Petite Tonneau on your list -- I found that restaurant completely by accident (though it is in a guidebook or two) and consider it one of the great moments of my last trip through the City of Lights.

Sure make some reservations.  But also set aside time to let Paris happen.

Thanks, Busboy....We do have 2 evenings open at the moment..Taillevent is our only lunch reservation and then the one evening that I was so-so about l'ami Jean. I had thought about just letting that be and see what we might come up with.

As far as doing much cooking...it is not really my thing..at home or away. My fellow traveler does enjoy cooking, so she may want to!

I appreciate your input.

Joan,

I don't have a problem with anything on your list. Since I know your proclivity for high-end type restaurants, be aware that Les Papilles has a very limited menu but I loved it the 2 times I went. I am sure you know, but if your friend doesn't care for seafood Les Fables is totally marine. I love Ginette Boyer and her Petit Tonneau but the decor has been described as shabby/chic for about the last 30 years, so don't expect Taillevent, Meurice type plush, just honest classics prepared with care from quality provender. If you can switch your meal at P'tit Troquet from dinner to lunch you will almost have the place to yourself. At dinner it is still very good, but is almost always packed, and you will not get nearly as much of the lovely Dominique's attention.

I am glad to see you venture out to a few pedestrian or "routine" places instead of your usual exclusive gourmet line up.

A very safe bet is to follow the "Talbott Trail". I know you will give us some excellent feed back upon your return.

Joan,

I don't have a problem with anything on your list. Since I know your proclivity for high-end type restaurants, be aware that Les Papilles has a very limited menu but I loved it the 2 times I went. I am sure you know, but if your friend doesn't care for seafood Les Fables is totally marine. I love Ginette Boyer and her Petit Tonneau but the decor has been described as shabby/chic for about the last 30 years, so don't expect Taillevent, Meurice type plush, just honest classics prepared with care from quality provender. If you can switch your meal at P'tit Troquet from dinner to lunch you will almost have the place to yourself. At dinner it is still very good, but is almost always packed, and you will not get nearly as much of the lovely Dominique's attention.

I am glad to see you venture out to a few pedestrian or "routine" places instead of your usual exclusive gourmet line up.

A very safe bet is to follow the "Talbott Trail". I know you will give us some excellent feed back upon your return.

Laidback,

The 2 little ones from your travels...Au Petit Tonneau and Les Papilles are evenings when either both or one of us has been on a day trip..thought it would be easy. Re Le Petit Trouquet..it is arrival day..lunch would probably not work. Thought my friend would enjoy it for first evening..."Fables" should work fine..that is the evening that we were hoping you, Pat and Karen could join us. Will see how that works out.

We do have time for some changes along with the one open evening..

Thanks for your input....

Joan

FWIW, we always reserve at Les Papilles for the evening of our arrival day.  It guarantees us a predictable if simple angst-free first night meal with darling welcome and service.  Not shabby wine, either.

You might have a good suggestion for our first evening. We can certainly switch it around!

Thank you,....

If you're going with a first timer, how about Jules Verne?

If you want to put in another top end restaurant, I'd go for Le Bristol.

Have a great trip.

Jules Verne has never appealed to me..for whatever reason!

I do enjoy Le Bristol and also Les Ambassadeurs. I don't want to overdo on her first trip...just enough to bring her back again and again.......

Thanks....

On our five open nights for a trip in July, we have reserved Taillevent, Drouant, Le Dome, and Les Clos des Goumet. That's what I came up traveling with newcomers to Paris, including one who is not very adventurous food-wise. Nobody suggested a place for the fifth night, so I'm following your topic.

On our five open nights for a trip in July, we have reserved Taillevent, Drouant, Le Dome, and Les Clos des Goumet.  That's what I came up traveling with newcomers to Paris, including one who is not very adventurous food-wise.  Nobody suggested a place for the fifth night, so I'm following your topic.

Carslbad,

I would suggest that you add at least one from the "Constant" group...Fables, Violon, Chez Constant or the new one Cocottes to your list.

Enjoy.......

Thanks, grace3. Violon is high on the list. The last time we went there in July, they were virtually empty and were serving only one set menu. If they are serving as usual, we will probably go there. The new format looks great.