• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

seeking special Chinese sweets or other food gift

Heading up to Richmond/Vancouver this weekend and looking for some Chinese sweets or related food item that I can bring back to the States. Especially hopeful for something that isn't available across the border here in Seattle - or something that is simply done much better in Richmond/Vancouver.

In addition to the items, if you have specific suggestions on the best place to buy them, that would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks, all!

What about some Chinese snacks? There are a few stores in Aberdeen (I like "Taiwan Kwong Leung Hing" on the 2nd floor, near the parking lot entrance) that carry Chinese/Asian snacks in bulk, such as:

- tiny spring rolls (smaller than your pinky finger) filled with spicy dried shrimp & shrimp roe

- dried cuttlefish

- multiple types of preserved plums

- vegetarian duck gizzard (if you don't know what this is, I know it sounds totally weird, but I highly doubt you'll be able to get these in many places in Seattle, if at all)

Pork and beef jerky from Bee Kim Heng, without question.

4194 Fraser Street

604-875-8688

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks for the suggestions so far. No ideas about sweets? Anyone?

We just had a few products that contained meat confiscated at customs after returning from Japan. We weren't trying to sneak them in... just didn't realize that something like furikake had meat in it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. No ideas about sweets? Anyone?

We just had a few products that contained meat confiscated at customs after returning from Japan. We weren't trying to sneak them in... just didn't realize that something like furikake had meat in it.

When you say 'sweets' - do you mean candies? I don't there is anything made locally, but Richmond does have a large selection that is sourced from Asia. I think a wander around Aberdeen Mall or Parker Place would land you a large baskets of candies.

If you mean cookies or cakes - there is Michelle's in Ricmond and Vancouver. There cookies, sponge cakes, and breads travel reasonably well - especially if you are coming up by car.

Although it seems you're set on mooncakes or the like, from the website of the Department of State.

Poultry, pork, milk, butter and cured cheeses (Cheddar, etc.) and eggs are permitted entry. However, all such products must be in packages clearly marked with Canada (or the U.S.) as the country of origin. If there is any question as to the country of origin, the product will be denied entry. Pet food with meat by-products is not admissible as traveler's baggage.

So beef and lamb are definite no-nos, but you can get some really good cha siew bau or other dim sum-like items to bring back, as long as they are labelled properly. I would much rather have dim sum than mooncakes, personally (but the gift isn't for me!).

I didn't even know that mooncakes were sold at this time of the year!

Frozen dim sum & the like lead me to think of "tong yuen (Cantonese)/tang yuan (Mandarin)". Hon's sells black sesame filled ones (and maybe some other types). However, they don't come in nice packaging like mooncakes would.

I thought I read about moon cakes or something similar sold year-round, but after looking through many threads back many months, I can't find the information.

I wasn't really considering anything "perishable" as I don't want to think about refrigeration, etc. - but after all these great suggestions, I might have to re-think that!

There's a dessert stall in the food court in Aberdeen Centre. I think it's called Tim's or something. It's the one closest to the Fairchild offices. They make those "Chinese Waffles" (Gai Dan Tsai or "Little Chicken Eggs") and other sweet Hong Kong and Macau snacks like "Egg Rolls" and those thick Almond cookies, I think.

Not sure about mooncakes. Maybe you can try Maxim's in Chinatown. Or even T&T. They may sell the mini-versions year-round with or without the egg-yolk centres as "Chinese Chess Cakes".

Tim's has great gan dan tsai! Unfortunately, they're only good while they're hot, so they won't travel well :sad:

If you wanna go for Taiwanese sweets/baked goods, try Mega Bakery at Continental Centre in Richmond.

For mooncakes, you can check out the Taiwanese style ones. They tend to be smaller and with a thicker crust. I usually get mine from Ihua (41 & Dunbar), or Da Chia (Macdonald & 24th), but I'm sure they're available in Richmond also.

at the Richmond Night Market http://www.findfamilyfun.com/richmond-night-market.htm

there is usually a man there making dragon beard candy it is fun to watch him make it and he packages it nicely so you can take it home

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet