• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rapberry puree

David J.

I made raspberry puree according to "Artisan Chocolates" where Andrew says to blend raspberries and sugar, then put the mixture through a "fine mesh strainer".

Just how fine a strainer would you use?

The first time I used a standard kitchen strainer and it passed the little seeds which ended up in my pate de fruit. This time I used a "Gold" mesh coffee filter and it caught the seeds, but pretty much caught everything but the juice too. I ended up tossing a fair amount of pulp and I don't know if that was intended.

The strainer doesn't have to be any finer than a tea strainer. I've used several types of standard mesh strainers and they all work fine without passing seeds. However, with some styles of mesh, it's more difficult to clean up the seeds afterwards.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I really like using a chinois or china cap like this one:

http://www.pastrychef.com/EXOGLASS-CHINOIS_p_14-853.html

They tend to be expensive but I have seen them at garage sales before or maybe ebay.

I don't have one right now... I used to use the one at our commissary kitchen so I will be keeping an eye out this year.

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

I've been looking at a chinois before for this sort of thing. Now the food mill looks like a great idea since it seems to be designed for making puree, but I'm still wondering about the tiny raspberry seeds making it through the disc. Does anyone have any experience with this that they can report?

I have a cheap food mill, and I'm sure the seeds would go through it.

I use a fine mesh strainer that has a double layer of mesh. Something like this:

http://www.chefsresource.com/cia-5-mesh-strainer.html

I have to use a spatula or a spoon and work the puree through the strainer, but it's not too bad. I don't feel like I leave a lot of pulp behind, and my puree is a great consistency.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I think that I'm going to look for an extra fine mesh chinois with wooden pestle.

The trick will be finding the proper model as a bit of web searching has uncovered quite a few. Some reviews state that the mesh in some particular model isn't up to removing small seeds and one product description actually mentioned raspberry puree and a triple mesh: http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=873

It looks like I would have to find a pestle to fit it though as non is pictured.

Does anyone have a favorite?

My fine mesh strainers would make it too time consuming to push the stuff through. I just use a regular strainer that you can get at the big grocery stores in the kitchen gadget aisles. None of the seeds get through.

But is there an easier way to get it pushed through? I just mash it through with a spatula.

But is there an easier way to get it pushed through? I just mash it through with a spatula.

I use the same technique. It really doesn't take that much effort, at least for the quantities I deal with.

The only double mesh strainer (not chinois) I have is a complete *pain* to clean up the seeds later. I'm fairly sure I will still be picking out the seeds years from now....

I only use my single mesh strainers now.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I use one of these with the "berry" screen unless I'm doing a really small amount. It holds a lot and it's not any more difficult to clean than any other piece of kitchen equipment.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have a Rosle food mill and the finest blade on that is perfect for all fruit purees including raspberry. And it's a hell of a lot easier to put purees though that than to have to force them through the chinois.

I use one of these with the "berry" screen unless I'm doing a really small amount. It holds a lot and it's not any more difficult to clean than any other piece of kitchen equipment.

Point taken about trapping stuff in multiple screen strainers!

I managed with my gold coffee filter and a spatula but it required more time and effort than I like. I was also concerned that it eliminated every bit of pulp leaving only the juice and that it might be wasteful.

So far this canning device seems to be a real contender for speed and ease of cleaning.

I have a Rosle food mill and the finest blade on that is perfect for all fruit purees including raspberry.  And it's a hell of a lot easier to put purees though that than to have to force them through the chinois.

Kerry are you saying the seeds puree and don't need to be strained out cause they're pulverized?? I should look this up this Rosle...but I'm tired...right after a nap I will...

I've been looking at a chinois before for this sort of thing.  Now the food mill looks like a great idea since it seems to be designed for making puree, but I'm still wondering about the tiny raspberry seeds making it through the disc.  Does anyone have any experience with this that they can report?

I used a food mill for fruits like raspberry with the smallest disk available and it was able to catch the seeds. Does your food mill come with different size disks?

I have a Rosle food mill and the finest blade on that is perfect for all fruit purees including raspberry.  And it's a hell of a lot easier to put purees though that than to have to force them through the chinois.

Kerry are you saying the seeds puree and don't need to be strained out cause they're pulverized?? I should look this up this Rosle...but I'm tired...right after a nap I will...

I didn't describe that very well. The blades (aka plates) are the strainer parts. One of the plates available for the Rosle has very small holes and will strain out the raspberry seeds. No pulverizing occurs.

Here is a picture of the mill with it's various plates.

For an easier (relatively) way of straining with plain old strainer, use a small ladle to force the puree through rather than a spatula. You can run it around in circles and it does a pretty good job.

I didn't describe that very well. The blades (aka plates) are the strainer parts. One of the plates available for the Rosle has very small holes and will strain out the raspberry seeds. No pulverizing occurs.

Here is a picture of the mill with it's various plates.

Oh Dude, I'm getting one of those!! Thanks

Dump the pureed berries into the toe of a pair of pantyhose, then squeeze the puree into a bowl and throw away the seeds... sooooooo easy. Gloves are recommended tho'. :biggrin:

Di

Oh my gosh! I never thought of using pantyhose! I'm going to try it next time!

I found that the labor involved with pureeing fruit it's actually cheaper to buy the puree from napa purees. it's not as emotionally satisfying, and certainly not as fun as using (blushing) pantyhose.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe