• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

storing vegetables in the fridge

mcohen

for optimal cooking, you need to use the best possible ingredients. but, along with buying the best possible ingredients, you need to store them properly or else what's the point.

i don't know if anybody else runs into this problem, but when i store my veggies in the fridge, in the crisper in plastic bags, water condenses in the bags and so the veggies spoil faster. so, why is it recommended to store them in plastic bags then?

and, what do you do when you don't have anymore room in the crisper?

for optimal cooking, you need to use the best possible ingredients. but, along with buying the best possible ingredients, you need to store them properly or else what's the point.

i don't know if anybody else runs into this problem, but when i store my veggies in the fridge, in the crisper in plastic bags, water condenses in the bags and so the veggies spoil faster. so, why is it recommended to store them in plastic bags then?

and, what do you do when you don't have anymore room in the crisper?

I use plastic bags with perforations in them. You can purchase these. Most stores have them.

When I don' t have any, I make some holes in solid bags to tide me over until I can buy veggie bags.

In the crisper you may find you don't need bags at all. This will depend on the fridge quality.

sounds like you're shopping at one of those supermarkets with overactive misters. The advice to store things in plastic bags in the crisper is good. but you need to make sure the stuff isn't waterlogged when you get it home. if there is a lot of moisture on the surface, stick a dry paper towel in the bag. it sounds contradictory, but you want moisture INSIDE the vegetable, not OUTSIDE (on the outside it quickly leads to breakdown, as you have found).

I give the veggies a really thorough shake in the market if they are wet. I also find that except for root vegetables, storing in the white store plastic bag and not compacting in to the bag yields a better result than leaving them in the thin clear plastic bags which tend to cling and contribute to moisture driven rot. Another thing I have been trying to do is analyze when I will realistically use the vegetable. If it is from Sunday's farmers market and won't be incorporated into a meal until Thursday, for instance, I often blanch it to preserve the goodness versus having a limp formerly lovely vegetable to work with on Thursday.

sounds like you're shopping at one of those supermarkets with overactive misters. The advice to store things in plastic bags in the crisper is good. but you need to make sure the stuff isn't waterlogged when you get it home. if there is a lot of moisture on the surface, stick a dry paper towel in the bag. it sounds contradictory, but you want moisture INSIDE the vegetable, not OUTSIDE (on the outside it quickly leads to breakdown, as you have found).

You took the words right out of my keyboard. Want to make compost? Keep it damp.

I do the paper towel wrap inside the plastic bag if there's any doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

the strange thing is that happens to groceries i buy outside the supermarket chains, such as at a farmers market. and, i'll wipe and dry them before putting them in a new bag. and, yet, there will be all this condensation inside the bags the next day. i really wonder if it might related to the fridge, but i don't really see how that would be possible.

i'll wipe and dry them before putting them in a new bag. and, yet, there will be all this condensation inside the bags the next day. i really wonder if it might related to the fridge, but i don't really see how that would be possible.

sounds odd, only thing i can think of is that maybe they're getting too warm. that could cause condensation to form on the inside of the bag.

I use plastic bags with perforations in them. You can purchase these.  Most stores have them.

When I don' t have any, I make some holes in solid bags to tide me over until I can buy veggie bags.

In the crisper you may find you don't need bags at all.  This will depend on the fridge quality.

so, what's the purpose of storing food in plastic bags with perforations? seems like by storing the food in such a way it would defeat the purpose of even putting them in plastic bag in the first place.

I use plastic bags with perforations in them. You can purchase these.  Most stores have them.

In the crisper you may find you don't need bags at all.  This will depend on the fridge quality.

so, what's the purpose of storing food in plastic bags with perforations? seems like by storing the food in such a way it would defeat the purpose of even putting them in plastic bag in the first place.

It is about getting the right amount of humidity. The perforated plastic bag just gives a little more control. This may not be necessary depending on the quality of your fridge. The paper towelling idea works well too.

Hi all --

I very highly recommend the green Evert-Fresh reusable produce storage bags (which you put your produce in and then store in the crisper of the fridge). I found mine in Whole Foods, but have seen them at other markets too. They apparently have some kind of mineral built into the plastic of the bags that neutralizes /absorbs some of the gases given off by vegetables that cause them to ripen. All I know is that they keep my produce fresh WAY longer -- something that is critical for me when the garden starts producing in spades. I've kept zukes in these bags for nearly two weeks and they still look great and have real snap to them... They have worked miracles for me with cukes, broccoli, lettuce... I've attached a link to them below which has some product information on them... No affiliation with the website, as I bought mine in a brick and mortar store, but I do know these bags work! (Note that the bags indicate that you are supposed to dry the produce off as much as possible before putting it in the bag, so it seems that water is the enemy of fresh-staying vegetables across the board)...

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/evertfre...edium-p-27.html

Emily

Hi all --

I very highly recommend the green Evert-Fresh reusable produce storage bags (which you put your produce in and then store in the crisper of the fridge).

Emily

I concur with Emily. I have been using the Evert-Fresh bags for several months now, and I have noticed a considerable improvement in the shelf-life of my veggies. They don't sell them in stores where I live, so I searched online and found them for sale at the lowest price here.

I would recommend the medium and large bags. I find that the small bags are not as useful. These bags can be rinsed and re-used.

I, too, use the Evert-Fresh bags. I only have the small ones as I put scallions, mint and other herbs in them. I find that they at least double the life of vegetables. Scallions, for example, will last for two weeks instead of the usual four days.

I use a variety of the fresh bags mentioned above. The brand I have is Tellfresh. They are a marvel, I have found that I can keep my lettuce 2 weeks longer than I used to be able to.

My local farmers' mkt sells its lettuce in perforated bags. I rinse them out & re-use them for other produce. Works very well.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845