• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Herme Ispahan Masterclass

Fibilou

Caterer and Hotelkeeper (industry mag here in the UK) did a 4 page special with the Great Man last week, with a photographic feature on the Ispahan recipe, including ratios of fresh/dry eggs, drying time and everything. So here is the recipe (I really hope this passes the copyright test) for 21 x 55mm cakes:

390g ground almonds

390g icing sugar

145g fresh egg whites

5g carmine colouring

5g strawberry colouring - make this all into a paste

380g granulated sugar

95ml water

145g old egg whites

2g egg white powder - make a merginue italienne and mix with almond paste - beat in 1/5th and fold in the rest. This gives a dropping texture. Using silicone paper pipe out your 55mm circles, 1cm apart. Tap the underside of the tray with your free hand, leave in a warm place until the surface is smooth and no longer sticky - if not the surface cracks

Bake at 165c until crisp and easily removed from the paper.

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

The filling base is a buttercream made with creme anglaise, meringue italienne and butter:

Anglaise

180ml milk

140g yolks

140g sugar

Merignue

125g whites

15g sugar

250g granulated sugar

75ml water

Whisk together with 750g soft butter, if it separates do not worry as it will come back to a smooth emulsion. Add rose syrup to finish

Put the pastries together with raspberries and chopped lychees; refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.

Edited by Fibilou (log)

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

I had this once and i was trying to figure out what essence or fragrance it was but i notice from the recipe that there is not any fragrance essence in there.

To me, It did have a faint lychee fragrance.

Anyone has any idea?

And pardon me for asking this...what is carmine colour and strawberry colour?

I am not exposed to fancy baking stuff, pls advise.

Thank you

iii

I had this once and i was trying to figure out what essence or fragrance it was but i notice from the recipe that there is not any fragrance essence in there.

The instructions for the filling say to add rose syrup to finish, and the filling also contains lychees. I assume canned, since you can't get fresh lychees all year round.

The instructions for the filling say to add rose syrup to finish, and the filling also contains lychees. I assume canned, since you can't get fresh lychees all year round.

When he demonstrated this macaron for my pastry class, we used frozen lychee puree from Boiron.

Also you'll want not only some rose syrup but also some rose essence to bump up the aroma.

Sorry, don't have much time at the moment...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Well, while we're at it, my question:

Fibilou, for the filling do we make up the Italian meringue, then fold it into the creme anglaise, then whisk the whole lot with the butter? 

Thanks!

Ah -ha...i only went thru the ingredient lists...

Thnks.

( by any chance, i sent you an email...have you got it?)

iii