• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Geh Rahn Jjim Recipe

Yes, you must have a stone pot. THe recipe is simple. The ratio to eggs and water is 2:1 (2 parts water to 1 part egg). Plus a little salt. Whisk it all up, cook in a pot and serve hot and bubbling. You may garnish with chopped chives or scallions if you like.

I showed this in my food blog.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Thanks for your response.

Its so good that its hard to believe its so simple. Is it baked or stovetop? If stovetop, can you use electric? If baked, what temp? Was it on your adobo and fried?

It cooked over the stovetop, over medium to low heat. When the eggs start bubbling, you take it off the stove because the heat in the stoneware pot is enough to cook it all the way. I have gas stove (always had all my life) and have seen almost all korean restaurants cook it this way. Never seen it baked or cooked on an electric stove.

No, it wasn't on my adobo. Adobo never has steamed/baked eggs on it. Though Adobo eaten in breakfast with garlic fried rice always has a fried egg on the side.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

hate to say it, but I do this in the microwave. I break two eggs, add a bit of water, some soy sauce (this is the salt), tiny bit of sesame oil, and then mix in some scallions. I have also steamed it, but I never do it directly on the stove top, because I like my eggs moist and wet. I bet it would be good if you mixed in some oysters or clams

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I cook it very differently but will try out the stove top method.

for each egg, i add table spoon of water. (doesn't need to be exact). I then some times add stuff to this. What ever I have on hand. My favorite additions are pickled brined shrimp, chopped scallions, blk pepper, bits of ground pork, and/or sardines.

I then steam them on the stove. while steaming I stir it two or 3 times to distribute ingredients evenly. It also makes the cooking go faster.

My kids love this stuff.

Soup