• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aprons: Do you use one?

annecros

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I posted earlier I had put it on over my head.  I have the pinafore on now but I confess I could not replicate my success.  This time I stepped into it and looped the straps over my shoulders.  Don't tell.

There is a problem with the apron though, at least for me.  It is not as long as I had hoped.  It does not quite reach my knees.  I'm thinking about what to do.  But I have to say lovely material, workmanship, and color.

Edit:  though looking at the picture the pinafore sits on the model about where it sits on me.  I guess it's working as intended.

which color did you choose?

i got natural in a size regular.  i liked all the colors and it was hard to pick just one.

Edited by lindag (log)

4 hours ago, lindag said:

which color did you choose?

i got natural in a size regular.  i liked all the colors and it was hard to pick just one.

I too got natural in regular but I asked for longer straps.  I'm not sure I really received longer straps.

Edit:  does the bottom reach your knees?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Haven't tried mine on yet but I doubt it will, I have pretty long legs.

I was tempted to buy the charcoal color but figured it would show all the flour all the time.

I've been busy wrestling with my sewing machine the last couple of days.

I asked Rustic Linens how to tell whether the apron I received actually has extra length straps.  I measured and it does.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I asked Rustic Linens how to tell whether the apron I received actually has extra length straps.  I measured and it does.

I love that they'll make individual modifications.  Unusual in today's world.

• Like 1

I like aprons, and have several (including that Rough Linen pinafore, I like it for summertime and it's super comfortable, but am anxious that it's just not durable and also, sigh, the staining in non-bleachable pale is more than I can take.).   I actually recently decided that I just couldn't buy anymore until a couple get so stained they're ready for the rag pile.

My main thing is that they be lightweight, I feel like heavier cottons feel like real weight on my neck after awhile.  Those cross-back aprons are supposed to mitigate this, but with the exception of the pinafore which just slips on, I can't deal with cross-back straps that have to be tied.  

I like the saturated colors at Hedley & Bennett, and they make nice gifts; but the price point can start to feel crazy for workhorse aprons.  That said, they do list the weights of their aprons, which I find valuable.

Someone was looking for a longer apron, I have one by "AOSbySosa" that was on clearance at "Kitchen Art & Letters".  It's made of tablecloth material and is very stain resistant, but since it looks kind of fancy I ended up cutting off some of the length to make into more of a dress apron.  

I totally understand the negative association with our moms and grandmas in the aprons.  For whatever reason my mom and grandma wore housecoats instead of aprons, which I guess are conceptually like chef's jackets except longer and more flouncy and just awful, especially the plaid ones, and which I found relentlessly hideous and somehow connected (at least on my mom's part) to this incomprehensible refusal to use the dishwasher, and also the unmistakable mark of general domestic misery.  I would never go near a housecoat if my life depended on it. 

But I put on an apron almost as soon as I walk in the house in the evening, every single day.  Funny.  

• Like 8

Cream of Wheat, I reckoned, was splendid occasion for my new pinafore.  Being errant Cream of Wheat can burn like napalm.  (And I did burn my tongue but that is another essay.)

Anyhow -- there must be a deterministic method for putting on the apron.  Really.  Has anyone solved the puzzle?  I spend several minutes before the mirror, or perchance more than several, placing my arms in random places.  Often as not with results that would baffle Houdini.

Even if I eventually get the apron on, it is not clear how I do it.  I almost wish I had chosen a more traditional kitchen garment.

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker,  coming at it from the back, I put the arms through first (specifically through the bottom opening of the pinafore straps-hole), and then slip the middle hole over my head holding the tops of the the pinafore straps.  For what that's worth . . . .

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SLB said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,  coming at it from the back, I put the arms through first (specifically through the bottom opening of the pinafore straps-hole), and then slip the middle hole over my head holding the tops of the the pinafore straps.  For what that's worth . . . .

I also hold the apron with the back facing me.  I hold the straps where they cross in the back and put my head through into the opening in front of that cross, then stick my arms through the sides. I feel like I need to make a video as it's easy to do but hard to describe!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also hold the apron with the back facing me.  I hold the straps where they cross in the back and put my head through into the opening in front of that cross, then stick my arms through the sides. I feel like I need to make a video as it's easy to do but hard to describe!

Your description is good, I can easily see you putting it on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

You are a genius!  Tonight it took me only seconds!  (Don't know yet if the success is repeatable.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 1 year later...

I finally started wearing my Rough Linen pinafore apron this week...It’s been hanging on the back of a chair all this time.

i love it!  Now I’m going to wear it all the time...not having a strap across the back of my neck is a must,

I just ordered a second one in white.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, lindag said:

I finally started wearing my Rough Linen pinafore apron this week...It’s been hanging on the back of a chair all this time.

i love it!  Now I’m going to wear it all the time...not having a strap across the back of my neck is a must,

I just ordered a second one in white.

As much as I like it, I hardly ever wear my pinafore.  To much effort to put on and I'd be afraid I'd spill something on it.  However the Rough Linen napkins I ordered at the same time you'd have to pry out of my cold, dead, greasy hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I just wear old clothes.

My daily uniform is jeans and sweater or t-shirt.    Not jeans, sweaters or t-shirt I might wear to a casual gathering.    When, like last hour before a dinner party, I have to man the piano in concert clothes, I wear an apron.   Or more usually a chefs' jacket or smock.

eGullet member #80.