• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

Moderators merged threads.

If I'm doing anything serious, the apron will usually come out. The primary advantage of an apron, for me, is that it gives you the ability to strap a side towel to your... side. It's also helpful in keeping you clean, but I don't often get food on myself when cooking. Baking or pasta making is another story -- anything with flour demands an apron.

All of this is for "back of house" work. There are a lot of beautiful high-end aprons out there that I find attractive but would never buy because they're impractical to clean. Leather... denim... waxed canvas... gorgeous stuff that you either can't launder or wouldn't want to (denim). Useless materials for the cook. Front of house? Bartenders? Sure. Perhaps if you're a woodworker or a barber or a bladesmith, something like that might be useful. But I'd hate to wear one while cooking. 

btbyrd

btbyrd

If I'm doing anything serious, the apron will usually come out. The primary advantage of an apron, for me, is that it gives you the ability to strap a side towel to your... side. It's also helpful in keeping you clean, but I don't often get food on myself when cooking. Baking or pasta making is another story -- anything with flour demands an apron.

All of this is for "back of house" work. There are a lot of beautiful high-end aprons out there that I find attractive but would never buy because they're impractical to clean. Leather... denim... waxed canvas... gorgeous stuff that you either can't launder or wouldn't want to (denim). Useless materials for the cook. Front of house? Bartenders? Sure. Perhaps if you're a woodworker or a barber or a bladesmith, something like that might be useful. But I'd hate to wear one while cooking. Just look at the girl in the OP. She's not cooking in that apron. She's not even really making tea in it. That's an apron for the duckfaced to take Instagram selfies in. It's a lifestyle accessory, not a kitchen accessory.