• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Skins

Jack Sprat

I've always been confused about this, both at home and out at restaurants. Sometimes it's euphoria, getting so much flavor and texture by combining the fish with the skin in a single bite. Other times I feel like I'm shortening my life by 10 minutes with every bite I take.

Is it good to eat the skin? Is it bad? When is it appropriate and why?

I love skin, especially on certain type of fish. My favorite currently mackeral that has been salted and grilled over goals. The skin becomes really crispy. Not exactly like potato chips but pretty darn good. Oh yeah, the rest of the fish is good too.

As with so many other things, I like it and don't give a rat's ass if it's healthy or not. :)

Having said that (again, like so many other things) I don't eat it often enough to be an issue.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My favorite currently mackeral that has been salted and grilled over goals.  The skin becomes really crispy...

Oh man, I loves me some grilled sanma!! It's pretty much available all year long (frozen), but fresh-caught autumn sanma with nicely toasted skin... :wub:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

At some noodle shops and hot pot places in Hong Kong you can buy small bags of fried fish skins. It's intended to be eaten after being dipped briefly in the hot broth so it absorbs the flavour of the soup but still stays crunchy. I sometimes buy it just to snack on. I'm not sure if it's unhealthy, but I tell myself that I'm getting a good dose of Omega-3 fatty acids which balances any bad effects of eating deep-fried food.

A good bit of salmon skin rolled in a maki, or the crispness of a kingfish where the skin's been quickly fried, and then turned over to let the flesh braise in olive oil........

And why would it not be healthy? Are they worried about the subcutaneous layer of fat? But fish fat is generally not considered a health risk.

The reason why it is considered unhealthy is because mercury tends to collect in the skins of fish. (Similarly, if you eat non-organic potatoes, you should always peel them before eating, because the pesticides collect in the skins.)

Mercury contamination is a really big issue with a lot of fish (the big culprit on this is Salmon, which is also one of the most-consumed fish), so much so that there are warnings from the FDA about certain fish and ingestion, especially by pregnant women. Mercury only builds up in the system; it can't be expelled or reduced, and it is poisonous to humans.

Having said that, most of us probably don't eat enough fish skin to matter much. I mean, an average serving of fish in a restaurant might be 6 oz., and of that weight probably less than half-an-ounce is from the skin, and most of us don't eat fish every night anyway.

But if you do eat a lot of fish, I would advise against farmed Salmon - it seems to have the worst problem with mercury contamination. But I would advise against farmed Salmon for a whole host of other reasons, ranging from its destructive farming methods to the relative insipidness of its flesh to eat.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

When it's crispy yes. When it's non-crispy and rubbery, no. I make an exception for sushi.

I totally agree! I love crispy fish skin, like on fried tilapia or milkfish.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I've always been confused about this, both at home and out at restaurants.  Sometimes it's euphoria, getting so much flavor and texture by combining the fish with the skin in a single bite. Other times I feel like I'm shortening my life by 10 minutes with every bite I take.

Is it good to eat the skin? Is it bad? When is it appropriate and why?

Fish fat is good for your health, so eat the fish skin with pleasure and without guilt! I always do.

Michael aka "Pan"

I’m not sure about the health issues but on a gastronomic level it depends on the type of fish and how it's cooked. For example, perfectly crispy skin is delicious on pan-fried Salmon or Bass. Though it does have to be cooked just right.

In Chinese cooking where we steam a lot of fish, Salmon and Bass skin is not particularly tasty. However, there are other types of fish skin that lends itself to the steaming method. I love the thick gelatinous skin on steamed Turbot, I prefer it to the flesh. When it is spanking fresh the slimy, slippery quality of it is a real treat especially the skin around the fringes of the fish. Often in western cookery, Turbot is filleted and skinned or if cooked whole then it’s just the flesh that is served to you. I always feel cheated when it’s served this way – I want the skin!!

I buy the flat pointy end of the salmon because it has the highest skin-to-meat ratio. When it's hot out of the oven and crispy... :::shiver::: ... that's perfection.

What are your best ways to achieve the perfect crispy skin?

I live in an apartment and don't have a grill, so I rely on the grill rack and broiler, which doesn't always achieve perfection.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Whenever I use a moist method to cook fish such as steaming, I always remove the skin and crisp it up separately as a garnish. I heat up 2 cast iron pans and salt and oil the skin well. Drop the skin into one pan and immediately place the second one on top before it has a chance to curl. Let it go for 3 or 4 minutes and you get this:

436028709_b823b9ce77_o.jpg

PS: I am a guy.

I love crispy fish skins sprinkled with a mixture of ground chilis (cayenne and pasilla being my favorites), salt and a wee bit of sugah. Wash them down with an ice cold, lemonfied lager. Oh my yes.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Hi,

I love, love, absolutely love crispy fish skin. I fry fish skins and sage leaves in butter to garnish the fish....

I always scale my fish, but is that really necessary?

Tim

Hi,

I love, love, absolutely love crispy fish skin.  I fry fish skins and sage leaves in butter to garnish the fish....

Tim

mmm...fresh sage (and minced garlic, sometimes w/ sauted pancetta) is my favorite way to stuff whole trout--then I fry them in olive oil until the skin is crisp.

flabby skin is as appetizing as it sounds.

I think it's better to just broil or roast the skin on a rack. It's fatty enough without adding additional oil.

The only skin that I dislike is swordfish. It tastes like nothing and has a sandpaper-like texture.