• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican butcher shops

I have been blessed with several Mexican butcher shops in my area and have found the quality to be great and the service excellent.

An added bonus is the butcher shop I go to makes and sells homemade tacos .50 cents apeice. :biggrin:

Has anyone else tried their local etnic markets?

Chicks dig wheelguns.

Oh, yes. Where do you live?

When I lived in Chicago, I frequented the Rogers Park Fruit Market which happily added a meat counter soon after I became a customer. My husband's favorite cut of beef is the skirt steak, and they had them, bountifully! And inexpensively. You never knew what you'd find in the case: calves' feet, goat heads, etc. Ox-tails, you bet. Trays of pre-packaged chicken feet.

Greek owned, they catered to a Mexican, South American, Caribbean, Indian, and African clientele. And white folks like me.

Where I live in northern Vermont, I'm lucky to have a butcher around the corner who will do special orders. But to buy chicken feet, we'd need to commit to such a quantity that made it impracticable. And skirt steak is a rare find.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

We have a great carneceria in the next town over (1 hr) - a family from LA. They have the best selection of any meat in the region, and the best carne asada I've ever had. What I like about them is that they know how to butcher like in the good old days - they get the animal and cut it up and use every piece. They even gave me freshly butchered suet last year for mincemeat.

Chicken feet are the secret ingredient to making killer broth. I get mine from the carniceria too... that and fat back. Which, if the butcher doesn't speak a lot of English, I get by pointing at my back and saying "puerco lardo". He laughs, we understand each other.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Yup, stock.

Vermont needs a Mexican butcher shop!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

I love my Mexican butcher! he is so wonderful and will cut about anything I want whenever I want it! not to mention his carne asada is to die for!!! I have tried for ages to figure out what he puts in it but one thing I can not pin point...anyway for $3/lb for premarinated perfectly cut meat ready for a flash grill ...well I can not complain!

the nicest thing about this butcher is he believes in pork having fat! I am so offended by "the other white meat" and its lack of flavor and texture that I only buy my pork at Asian or Hispanic markets anymore ...sometimes lean is NOT better in my opinion!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

There is a carniceria in a town about 30 miles from here which we stop at whenever we go that way. The pork is to die for. The butcher told us that the owner selects the meat himself.

No cryovac stuff from Sysco here.

Yes, and they have the deli with lovely tamales.

We have a great carneceria in the next town over (1 hr) - a family from LA.  They have the best selection of any meat in the region, and the best carne asada I've ever had.  What I like about them is that they know how to butcher like in the good old days - they get the animal and cut it up and use every piece.  They even gave me freshly butchered suet last year for mincemeat.

The carniceria in our town is the only place would give suet for mincemeat too! They also earned my undying love when they minced the meat for me! They also make the best chicken and beef (we don't eat pork) tamales, we buy them 2 dozen at a time and eat them for days.