• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In the US, hard cheese is better than soft

Fat Guy

John, I've tried about 2/3 of those cheeses, and with the exception of the blue cheese from Rogue Creamery (which I would not characterize as a soft cheese),

They certainly aren't hard cheeses even if they are not quite as soft as gorgonzola.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think terms like "sensational" and "revolution" are overstatements.

Have you had Zingerman's burrata? It is as good as any I've had in or from Italy. I stand by my statement.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I've had pretty much the full line of Zingerman's cheeses. Two years ago at the Heartland gathering we took a tour of the Zingerman's creamery and did a bunch of tasting, and also purchased a number of cheeses. I liked the people there, but it was clear to me that they were in a learning phase, not a competitive-with-Europe phase. Maybe their cheeses have improved so much in two years that they're now in the same league as the Europeans, but it seems incredible.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've had pretty much the full line of Zingerman's cheeses. Two years ago at the Heartland gathering we took a tour of the Zingerman's creamery and did a bunch of tasting, and also purchased a number of cheeses. I liked the people there, but it was clear to me that they were in a learning phase, not a competitive-with-Europe phase. Maybe their cheeses have improved so much in two years that they're now in the same league as the Europeans, but it seems incredible.

Most of their cheeses are very good. The goat and regular cow's milk cheeses are not as good as most of their European counterparts. The Lincoln Log is very good, but drier and not quite as flavorful as a good Boucheron. The Fior di Latte and Buratta though are truly excellent.

Twitter - @docsconz

I really know nothing of US cheeses, but up here in Canada, I've had some Canadian cheeses (both hard and soft) that compare very favourably to imported cheeses (there were a couple soft, ripened goat cheeses in particular that stand out, unfortunately I forgot which farm they came from - but they were incredible - I think the Chef and I ate up half the restaurant's supply ourselves).

Obviously the variety isn't quite there yet, but the scene is getting better by the day. I also don't think we (or the US) need to use the French or anyone else as a model - those cheeses are great, but I think local producers can produce excellent, unique cheeses without needing to copy anyone.