• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time poster's thoughts on Atlanta

Norm357

I am a courier here in Atlanta and a fairly new client of mine is a produce vendor at the Atlantas Farmers market that provides fresh produce to some of Atlantas finest restaurants. As such, I have been in some of Atlantas finest kitchens and it has been an eye opening experience. Some observations.....

MIX in Decatur. Nice place and spotless kitchen. The Chef is a down to earth guy that curses like a sailor. I like him a lot.

Sweet Low Down on peachtree downtown. My favorite kitchen in the City. Chef Jones always feeds me. This is not an option. He demands it. It is great eating in the kitchen with all the hustle and bustle going on around you.

Seasons 52, several locations. I will never eat here. The staff treats people like me like crap.

The Renaissance Buckhead. I have no idea why the Health Department has not shut this place down. Nasty with a capitol N!

Emerils Atlanta. Nice place. Emeril is a nice guy. His staff (kitchen anyways) are great.

Eugene. Atlantas finest restaurant. Chef Hopkins is a very nice guy..

There are many more kitchens here that I have been in. If there are any questions about a certain restaurant here just ask.

Chicks dig wheelguns.

How strange that I see this thread 5 seconds after a conversation w/a friend about going to lunch this week. I'm not in Atlanta, but the situation is similiar. Another friend of mine who used to work for a supply place regularly delivered to resturants in town and gave me great detail on the cleanliness of the various kitchens. Some times I wish I didn't know these things, as I just turned down lunch at a small place that he totally dissed when it was owned by another chef just a few months ago. I told her I'd have to have him check to see if the kitchens been cleaned before I venture in. I guess this is a variation of 'sins of the father'..in this case it's 'sins of the previous owner'...

Norm357:

Great to have a view from "inside." Thanks. Would it not be great to have someone like Norm reporting from every venue?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Sweet Low Down on peachtree downtown. My favorite kitchen in the City. Chef Jones always feeds me. This is not an option. He demands it. It is great eating in the kitchen with all the hustle and bustle going on around you.

Great post. I don't live in Atlanta, but you made me want to drive over just to try this place. Of course, I'm going to want to eat in the kitchen, just like you. I think I'll try telling him I'm a dear friend of Norm's and see how far that gets me.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Great post. I don't live in Atlanta, but you made me want to drive over just to try this place. Of course, I'm going to want to eat in the kitchen, just like you. I think I'll try telling him I'm a dear friend of Norm's and see how far that gets me.

Bring him 600 lbs of produce and I bet he will. :biggrin:

Chicks dig wheelguns.

Chef Jones (Patrick) is a very good friend of mine and I know he runs a tight ship. He won't tolerate anything but spotless.