• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rubs for Smoking Grilling Meat and Fish

snowangel

So, over on the Butt and the Brisketbeef shoulder -- think smoking, not just grilling folks -- topic, there's much talk of rubs. There's even talk about rubs on Bacon that's been brined before the dry rub.

Me, I'm a fan of a nekked butt, but I want a rub on my brisket (I've never smoked a shoulder, but Pam's inspiring me).

What is your rub of choice?

Do tell all, and if your rub recipe is your own, do add it to RecipeGullet. Me, I've sort of been stuck on Klink's Dry Rub, but I could be pursuaded to try something else for the meat I'll smoke this coming weekend.

Do you rub just before putting the slab o meat on the smoker, or do you do in in advance by a coupla days?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Having unwrapped raw meat lolling around my fridge is one of the few things that scare me in the kitchen so I only rub about an hour before it hits the fire.

I usually use paprika, onion and garlic powders, kosher salt, oregano, black, white and cayenne peppers and pehaps a touch of thyme.

Sometimes I have it made up in a shaker, sometimes mixed in a bowl and sometimes I just pile it on a layer at a time.

For ribs I will also take some of the original rub and mix with brown sugar and pack that onto the cooked ribs for the last 20 min...sprinkled with cider vin.

I have discovered that my standard isnt so great when oven roasting meats in the winter...overpowers without the smoke

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I usually rub mine down the night before smoking... In a pinch I have rubbed it down about an hour before smoking and it still turned out good. Just make sure to pull it from the fridge at leat an hour before you're going to put it on the grill to let it come up to room temp. Happy smoking..

I like a good rub. It adds another dimension to the crispy pulled pork bits, and seems to make the ribs go even better with the sauce. A little chili/paprika/onion power/what-have-you makes pulled pork sing. And a brown sugar concoction makes my the Memphis-style ribs (and my tummy) very happy.

The wrong rub, however, can hurt an otherwise great barbeque. I'm probably in the minority here, but the pepper on the famous "Divine Mr. Brown" overhelms it all.

We always have a supply of Memphis rib rub, from Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible. A very similar recipe is available here (click). Besides being great on ribs, it makes a nice marinade for grilled chicken. Just mix the rib rub with oil and lime juice and marinate the chicken in a ziploc bag.

When the weather is good for grilling -- like tonight -- I'll often: stop to grab a flank steak, some bok choy, cucumbers, shiitake, plump shallots, maybe a tomato or two if they're decent; prepare a basic dressing with kecap manis, lime juice, fish sauce, some mint, cilantro, black pepper, and salt; and make a rub for the flank steak that's along these lines:

1t cinnamon

1T roasted red chile pepper

1T black pepper

1T sugar

1T salt

1T ground galangal

While I prepare the coals, I let that rub soak into the scored steak at room temp, and then grill it up with the whole shallots and mushrooms all getting charred. Rest, slice, serve with jasmine rice.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

A thought I just had in the kitchen. I have found that it's important to be sure all ingredients are ground to the same size grains. I just made this rub and didn't really do that as well as I should have done. As a result, the turbinado and pepper tended to fall to the bottom of the bowl while I was applying the rub to the ribs. I appreciate the texture of a crunch of peppercorn more than most, but with meat that's going to be jostled about, consistent granularity is more important, I think.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Just make sure to pull it from the fridge at leat an hour before you're going to put it on the grill to let it come up to room temp.  Happy smoking..

Susan, if I recall correctly, you're a big fan of not letting the meat come up to room temp when you smoke. Am I remembering correctly?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Just make sure to pull it from the fridge at leat an hour before you're going to put it on the grill to let it come up to room temp.  Happy smoking..

Susan, if I recall correctly, you're a big fan of not letting the meat come up to room temp when you smoke. Am I remembering correctly?

me neither. Not for smoking. I learned that from the Col Klink eGCI class on smoking. A cold meat takes a bit longer to cook and takes on more smoke and flavor. In any other instant, like direct heat grilling steaks or chicken..., I always let it come to room temp.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog