• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doritos X-13D

branch

Sorry, if they want me to try a mystery flavor it should at least have a sale price.

Maybe if I do a Memorial Day thing ...I will get some but, really the ketchup and mustard too huh?

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It appears that this is a "name the flavor" promo

Doritos X13D Web Site

You make up a name based on clues provided by the oh-so-handy clue generator (I suppose you coudl also rely on your tastebuds in a pinch). Submit it and if you're one fo the lucky 100 chosen you get a tears supply of Dorito's and the... ahem... "opportunity" to test and provide comments on newly developed products.

Yeah right. Pay me for my time and we have something to talk about. But their campaign works thuis far - I'm not even a Dorito's fan but I'm off to look for a bag on my way home tonight.

dude, those things taste exactly like a MCDonald's cheeseburger. The beef, onions, cheese, ketchup and mustard all together.....it's the weirdest thing!

I grabbed a bag last night - just had to try them. I'll admit to being biased or predisposed to this assessment by virtue of having seen this thread... but a fast food cheeseburger is EXACTLY what these chips taste like!

Check out the ingredients list - which includes ... (this is from memory so it's not exact)

wheat powder, beef extract, cheese powder, tomato, mustard and onion powder

Uhhhh.... that would be a bun with meat and cheese plus a dollop each of ketchup, mustard and onions.

And I don't even like the taste of fast food cheeseburgers but I like these chips - not enough to buy them regularly (not that I buy any Doritos regularly) but I'll take them over salsa, ranch and many other flavors - anytime.

dude, those things taste exactly like a MCDonald's cheeseburger. The beef, onions, cheese, ketchup and mustard all together.....it's the weirdest thing!

specifically a MCDONALDS cheeseburger?? just curious..you know, the special sauce thing and all that.

specifically a MCDONALDS cheeseburger?? just curious..you know, the special sauce thing and all that.

A McDonald's cheeseburger doesn't have Special Sauce. I think maybe that's a Big Mac?

The label hint is "American Classic" would imply cheeseburger to me but the inclusion fo ketchup, mustard or pickles seems a stretch. I mean... really... how many people - apart from those taking the default standard cheeseburger at a fast food joint - actually put ketchup and mustard and onions and pickles on a burger? Two out of four condiments maybe but all four?

I bought a bag today. Way too pickle-y. I had to give them to my kids.

They remind me of the cheddar pickle crisps I had in the UK.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

The label hint is "American Classic"  would imply cheeseburger to me but the inclusion fo ketchup, mustard or pickles seems a stretch. I mean...  really...  how many people - apart from those taking the default standard cheeseburger at a fast food joint - actually put ketchup and mustard and onions and pickles on a burger?  Two out of four condiments maybe but all four?

The typical "cheeseburger deluxe" I get when ordering one at a diner has all of the non-liquid items plus lettuce and tomato, and there's always a bottle of ketchup at the table. I do note, however, that in this part of the country, mayonnaise often takes the place of either the ketchup or the mustard; however, I grew up putting both -- and no mayo -- on my burger, and I do that still.

However: The pickle usually takes the form of a dill spear rather than waffle or straight hamburger slices, so I guess your incredulous post holds, because in such instances, everything else goes on the burger while the pickle goes with it.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I went looking for them today, no luck. Must be a limited rollout. I told my kids about them though, and they can't wait to try them!

I forgot the big mac had the special sauce..I haven't been into/through a Mickey d's for 20 years or so. Had a bad experience and said to hell with em.

A McDonald's cheeseburger is the first burger that came to mind, lol. I have had some RIDICULOUS pregnancy cravings involving all things McDonald's, so I kind of have it on the brain. :raz: I only ever get the little cheeseburger (and little fries) which come with meat, cheese, ketchup, mustard, onions and pickles on it. Good grief, I'm hungry!

I saw these the other day and was intrigued to say the least. Now I have to try them.

(she says as she is running out the door to the store)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

It tastes like a cross between a cheeseburger and a hotdog

Perhaps you're picking up on the mustard flavorr and the pickle notes might remind you of relish? I'm not getting hot dog from these. And although I got really sick of dill pickle flavored potato chips after a couple handfuls I have a higher tolerance for X-13D.

And why bother coming up with another name? I like X-13D....

People thought I was nuts! I ran all over looking for these things, curiosity got the best of me I guess. And WOW, they do taste like cheeseburger! How strange is that!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

While visiting my family in San Diego this past holiday weekend, I spotted them in the store and bought a couple bags.

On first taste, the reaction of two members of my family was "Dill" and my reaction along with my mom was "Mustard". My mom said they reminded her of those mustard pretzels that Snyder's of Hanover makes.

I was disappointed there wasn't a "meat/steak" flavor in the chips.

It's not likely I will buy them again.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is this a product test limited to specific areas of the country?

I have yet to spy these on the shelves of any Philadelphia supermarket.

Try a differeny kind of shop, I'm not seeing them in grocery stores but am seeing them in big chain gas stations.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

MarketEl? Im near Philly and I see them all over including inside Philly, when I went to Center City last week.

Should I be looking in Wawa instead?