• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Cabinets

davebr

A bar was just recently built in my house. The cabinets are new and stained. Before I pour any wine, I have to rinse out the clean glasses because they smell way too much of wood. Handing someone a slightly wet glass is getting to be embarassing. What do I do?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

It definitely sounds like your stain never dried properly. Do you live in a humid area, or is the bar in a finished basement where it's very humid? If so you might want to set up a dehumidifier and some fans and open those doors up for three or four days. Also, are the shelves themselves stained? If so, you might consider sealing those with polyurethane. And you're of course not storing your glasses upside-down . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If the cabinets were made with plywood (even cabinet grade), there are solvents involved in the making of the stuff that can linger for a while. It could also be regarding the moisture content of the wood that was used. The wood may not have been completely dry when it was built.

I would air them out extensively, including the use of fans. It may need more than 3 or 4 days, but move the air out if you are able to do so. If it just circulates the same room air, you really aren't fixing anything.

There are some more drastic steps to take that may help as well. You may be getting the smell from the unstained wood in the interior of the joints and the ends of the panels and such. You can use some clear silicone caulk on all of the edges where wood meets wood. That will keep the fumes and smells from intruding into the interior of the cabinet. You can also use a tack rag to make sure all of the sawdust and other particles are removed from the casework.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

It definitely sounds like your stain never dried properly. Do you live in a humid area, or is the bar in a finished basement where it's very humid?

Yes I live in Louisiana its very humid. The shelves are glass. I have opened the doors and we'll see what happens the next couple of days.

I am really worried because my regular cabinets have been up a year and they still make the glasses smell like wood.

Edited by davebr (log)

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I'd go with Julia's "never let 'em see you sweat" principle: in a proud, authoritative voice, tell your guests that the chardonnay is prized for being "extraordinarily oaky," and quaff with gusto. That should work for a few months if you vary guests sufficiently.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Order 1 or two packs of these Silica Gel Packs

put several in each cabinet, depending on volume.

You will have to sweep them out of the cabinet, spread them on a sheet pan and dry them in a very low oven every two or three months.

Get enough so you can rotate them.

I have friends who live on their boats in marinas and they buy these in bulk because it is the only way to keep mildew at bay.

Naturally, living in the desert, I have virtually no problem with humidity. However, when I travel, I always have silica gel packs in with my cameras, laptop and other electronics.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett