• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Beef Shoulder / Chuck Roasts

Pam R

Sorry for the less than fabulous photos. I tried to get a pictures from each side of the roast. It's just over 3 kg, and I'd guess it's about 4 inches thick.

gallery_25849_641_98779.jpggallery_25849_641_83430.jpg

gallery_25849_641_8103.jpggallery_25849_641_70792.jpg

This roast came frozen and I was surprised to see that the bottom had slits cut into it (through the bones).

My rub:

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tsp. black pepper

1 1/2 tbsp. cumin

1 tbsp. kosher salt

2 tbsp. ancho chili

1 tsp. allspice

1 tsp. generic penzey's chili powder

1 tsp. smoked paprika

gallery_25849_641_54667.jpg

And here it is rubbed.

gallery_25849_641_112423.jpg

I just put the rub on now and it's in the fridge, open. I don't plan on smoking it until Saturday -- leave it uncovered or do I cover it?

Excellent. It was on the smoker for 12 hours or so - it was cold and rainy and a pain. Then I wrapped it up and it went into the oven for a couple of hours.

Bad weather and unplanned flu meant cancelled long-weekend plans, so most of it went into the freezer. I hope it thaws well . . :blink:

• 1 year later...

Has anyone ever smoked a chuck roast? I was watching them smoke pork ribs on America's Test Kitchen and decide to try it with a chuck roast.

You season the bejezus out of roast and then put it on the cold side of a smoker. I used a small Weber with pecan wood. Tent the roast with foil to keep moist. Then just let it go at 225F for about 3 hours...adding smoke and charcoal as needed.

Then completely wrap in foil and cook for another hour, either on the pit or in the oven.

I will take pictures next time...it comes out dark and crusty.