• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fairway Finally comes to NJ!

The Record reports that the REAL Fairway from the UWS is coming to Paramus, at the Fashion Center, circa Fall 2008. It will be about 50K sq ft.

This is not to be confused with the imposter of the same name in Fort Lee.

This also means that one will no longer have to trek into NYC for great Nova, great cheese, and all the other great stuff at Fairway.

Welcome to NJ, Fairway!

I saw this article yesterday too, and thought to myself, "Great. Another yuppie supermarket requiring you to pay for your groceries with a mortgage or rent payment."

But just for kicks, I went to their website to see if they had an online flyer. They do. And I was very impressed. Good looking stuff, very reasonable prices. Now I'm excited too! It would be great if they could put a "zipper" sign on the front of the store, but it probably won't happen.

Here's a link to the Plainview store's online flyer:

Fairway Market Online Flyer

They'll probably have a massive grand opening sale too. That means lots of bargains! As Menton said, Welcome to Paramus and NJ, Fairway!

The Record reports that the REAL Fairway from the UWS is coming to Paramus, at the Fashion Center, circa Fall 2008.  It will be about 50K sq ft. 

This also means that one will no longer have to trek into NYC for great Nova, great cheese, and all the other great stuff at Fairway. 

Welcome to NJ, Fairway!

To all eGullet posters

Menton1 is dead wrong about Fairway of Fort Lee being an "imposter". The name Fairway has been on the store front since the early 1900's with the third generation Cafasso's now running it, well before the NY stores opened their doors. A little research would go a far way before posting mis-information.

Edited by Hank (log)

Hank

It's only an imposter because it's less famous than the Fairway in NYC. They also do nothing to dispel the fact that they are a different store, different owners, and a different MO. But the Ft Lee Fairway hopes that you think it's the same as the one in NY.

Actually, nobody (including myself) cares one whit about the Fort Lee Fairway either way.

This thread is not about the Ft Lee "Fairway". It's all about being happy about the idea of the NY Fairway coming to Paramus! Great news! One of the best cheese departments anywhere, olive bar, myriads of prepared foods, smoked fish, and a great service deli dept. Should be a gala opening!

• 3 weeks later...
The Record reports that the REAL Fairway from the UWS is coming to Paramus, at the Fashion Center, circa Fall 2008.  It will be about 50K sq ft. 

Welcome to NJ, Fairway!

I'm a little late to this thread, but in defense of Cafasso's Fairway in Fort Lee (and that's the name of the store), it was around for decades before the store in New York stole its name. It was and remains one of the top food stores in northern New Jersey; in the Fort Lee area, I don't think any store even approaches it. The produce, the prepared food, the bread from many bakeries, the fish and meats are all top-notch. The store was cramped until the owners finally got permission after many years of opposition to expand. Indeed, it's a smaller version of the New York Fairway, but different enough to have its own identity. It's too easy to dismiss everyting in New Jersey as inferior to food stores and restaurants across the river or border.

• 7 months later...

Any updates on this Fairway opening? There was a flurry of news about 8 months ago here, but so far, there is no sign of any construction or ground-breaking over at the Fashion Center.

Is Fairway still scheduled to open later this year in Paramus? Any new information?

• 5 months later...

I read on Progressive Grocer (link below) that Fairway will be coming to NJ in Oct/Nov 2008. I did also email Fairway directly for an update on the Paramus location. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Quote from Progressive Grocer Website:

The Pelham Manor store will bring the number of the company's stores to six. Fairway currently operates four supermarkets in Manhattan, Long Island, and Brooklyn, with a fifth set to open in Paramus, N.J. about six months from now.

Progressive Link to quote:

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/progressi...003fe0f36feeb99

Deldino

• 2 months later...

On "Food Talk" on WOR Radio back in mid August Michael Colameco was interviewing Steve Jenkins from Fairway and he said they hope to open a New Jersey location by the first of the year. Show aired on 08/18/08 and should be available for Podcast.

Edited for Steve Jenkins' name.

Edit

Off subject slightly. I just listened to the Podcast and Steve Jenkins said they would be opening in Paramus around the first of the year and that they would be adding stores in Pelham and Queens as well.

Edited by MikeyMike (log)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whole Foods will open first, with a Middle Eastern food stand, to boot. I've started a blog about food shopping that you might want to check out:

http://doyoureallyknowwhatyoureeating.blogspot.com/

From Fairway's website March 2009.  See the right side of the page 3rd banner down.

http://www.discoverfairway.com/

Tour of Paramus Fairway from the same site.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I heard on the radio that the grand opening is today.

http://www.discoverfairway.com/Paramus/

edited to add link

Whole Foods will open first, with a Middle Eastern food stand, to boot. I've started a blog about food shopping that you might want to check out:

http://doyoureallyknowwhatyoureeating.blogspot.com/

From Fairway's website March 2009.  See the right side of the page 3rd banner down.

http://www.discoverfairway.com/

Tour of Paramus Fairway from the same site.

Edited by MikeyMike (log)

I went to check out this new revolution in supermarket shopping on Saturday 3/28. I got there at 7:45 a.m., and there were a few people mulling about. By opening time at 8 a.m., there must've been 50 or 60 people waiting to get in. By the time I left, the first half of the lot was pretty much full.

Initial thoughts of the place? I like it. A lot. Their non-sale prices aren't going to put Maywood Market or Corrados out of business anytime soon, but they have some terrific stuff, and the sale prices were amazing. Everything I've tried so far has been absolutely terrific (with one exception) and prices on most items, given the quality, were fair. Some highlights:

Their smoked salmon is amazing. It's a lot less salty than most other places, but the quality was stellar. They actually had a guy with a knife slicing razor thin pieces off the fish.

Got the fruit cheesecake on sale for $7.99. Probably sells for double that regularly. Outstanding. Lots of fruit, and great creamy flavor.

The deli counter is huge. They had some incredible, novel prepared foods. I got some mediterranean chicken salad, with nice pieces of chicken and goat cheese. I got another Indian style chicken dish, chicken breasts made with yogurt and spices. And perhaps the best noodle kugel I've ever had. Nice and creamy, not as tangy as the typical noodle kugel, with lots of raisins and I think red currants. Wonderful. Most of the meat-based prepared foods were around $6.99 per pound. A hair high, but not too bad, especially considering the quality. I think the kugel was $4.99 per pound.

Captain Tony was at the fish counter, slicing fish with his crew. I got some beautiful salmon for $5.99 a pound. It was cool to meet him in person.

Of course I had to get the filet of beef for $4.99 a pound. The line to get the meat and get it cut was insane. But it was worth the wait. Very good quality, U.S. beef.

I had to get some of that fresh mozzarella for $3.99 per lb. Very good. Very smooth and creamy. Perhaps just a pinch too salty (and I like my mozzarella salty) but still very good. I didn't get a chance to check out the cheese counter in detail, but it looked great in passing. I did get some of that parmigiano reggiano for $8.99 per lb. though.

They have some fresh pasta as well, including all kinds of filled raviolis. The fancy stuff is very expensive ($7.99 or $8.99 per package), but the plain pastas at $3.29 for 12 oz. isn't too bad. It was very good too!

The coffee section is awesome. I was kind of looking forward to jumping into a barrel of that freshly-roasted coffee, but alas, they have coffee mongers to scoop the coffee for you. I got some of the sale $3.99 per lb. hazelnut. The coffee is very good, but I wouldn't say it's leaps and bounds above what I get at Maywood Market. Maybe a pinch better. It is cool seeing the coffee roaster in action though!

Dairy prices are incredible. Gallons of Farmland milk (including whole milk) for $1.75. Quarts of Farmland heavy cream were an astonishing $2.49. (I usually get quarts of heavy cream at Food Basics, for $3.68 for the A&P brand. It's about $4.99 or $5.49 at the regular A&P.) $2.49 is an astonishing price. I don't know if this is a sale price, so get it while you can! They also had Breakstone's pints of sour cream for $.75.

In the produce department, I got some beautiful vine-ripened tomatoes for $1.49 per pound. These were the nicest tomatoes I've seen in a supermarket in a long time. They also had garlic 3 for $1.00, and it was nice and fresh. They also had a big vat where you could pick your own mesculen salad for $5.99 per pound. This was cheaper than buying the prepackaged salads, so I got some from the bin. The lettuce looked nice and fresh.

The only dud I bought was a bunch of basil. It was a nice sized bunch, but at $2.89, a bit expensive, and after one day, it's wilted already! I can usually get a comparable bunch at Maywood Market for around $1.49 and it usually lasts about a week before it wilts significantly.

I also got some Kosher for Passover Coke in the grocery aisle. 3 2L bottles for $4.00. And they had plenty.

The store was insanely busy, but surprisingly, there were no lines at the checkouts. The layout of the store is unusual with the produce in one compartment of the store, the groceries, frozen foods, and checkouts in another part, and a long narrow pathway with the deli, seafood, meat, cheese, and coffee departments. If you forget something in produce and you're in the grocery section, you have to track all the way back through the store. No shortcuts!

Danny and Howie were all over the store. Howie doesn't talk much. Danny is the PR man who talked with all the customers and tried to help everyone out. He saw me looking around puzzled and asked me if I needed help. I said no, I was just taking it all in, and complimented him and Howie on the great store. I was kind of star struck, after seeing Howie, Danny, and Captain Tony in person!

Overall, I enjoyed my trip. I'm $200 poorer now, but boy have I been enjoying the food! This is a great addition to the area. Be prepared to go first thing in the morning for at least the next six months, or be prepared for big crowds. Welcome to Paramus, Fairway!

Edited by zhelder (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write up. I agree with what you said. I didn't by the filet, how was it? I did buy the basil however and had the same results, it died in one day.

I went back on Sunday 04/05/09 and the milk gallons are now $2.45. Still a pretty good price.

Nice write up.  I agree with what you said.  I didn't by the filet, how was it?  I did buy the basil however and had the same results, it died in one day. 

I went back on Sunday 04/05/09 and the milk gallons are now $2.45.  Still a pretty good price.

Both filets, the salmon and the beef, were fantastic. I'm not an expert on either, but I know what I like. And I liked both of these better than what I usually get at the supermarket. (Especially the beef.)

While on the crazy line to get the beef, I started talking to a guy next to me. He helped me pick out a nice piece and told me to get it cut in half and tied, as roasts. He said to salt, pepper, and butter it, and cook it in the oven for 30 min. at 500, without opening the oven.

I tried this, and it was fantastic!

BTW, since my inaugural visit, I've been back two more times. I went on a Saturday night, at 10 pm, thinking the store would be quieter. WRONG! The place and lot were full.

I went last Monday, in the middle of the day, in the pouring rain, thinking the store would be quieter. WRONG! The place and lot were full.

The way things are going, this place is gonna be a zoo from the crack of dawn to way late in the night for at least the next year.

I don't care though. I love the place!

• 2 weeks later...

I went this morning at about 9 :30 am and it was fine...not too crowded yet.

One thing that aggravates me is that they refuse to make any ORGANIC rotisserie chickens in the morning. I spoke to the owner and he said " at the end of the day, more Organics are left over, so we don't make as many" . Well, my answer to that is..you can't buy what isn't there. I was there twice looking for Organics and none to be found..

Regarding other items, I found them to be cheaper here..for instance,

15 oz Fage yogurt is 4.29. That's the best price I've seen anywhere.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

You might try trader Joes. Their house brand of Greek yougart is $2.99 for a 16oz container.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 3 months later...

I finally got up to Fairway last night. Their selection of olive oils, which prompted the trip, is excellent, & reasonably priced - huge variety for under $20 / liter. The cheese counter was such a treat. Numerous other delicacies. I don't know of another store in this region that packs such quality & variety at such reasonable prices under one roof.

Tip: early Sunday evening is a great time to go. Thanks to the Bergen County blue laws, there's very little traffic up that way, which makes it easy to navigate the Fashion Center Mall.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845