• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tetsuya's Reservations

I'm trying to angle a reservation to Tetsuya's in June and I was wondering if anybody had the inside scoop on how to maximise my chances? Is it still a 4 week lead time to the day? Would it be better to call than email? Would I be able to get a weekday night on shorter notice or is it equally as booked out all week? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks

PS: I am a guy.

I'm trying to angle a reservation to Tetsuya's in June and I was wondering if anybody had the inside scoop on how to maximise my chances? Is it still  a 4 week lead time to the day? Would it be better to call than email? Would I be able to get a weekday night on shorter notice or is it equally as booked out all week? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks

Helen and I had dinner at Tetsuya's last year. We e-mailed them and they promptly e-mailed us back asking for a credit card number to hold our seats. They will give you a couple of time slots that are available. Enjoy! We had the tasting menu/ wine pairing it was fantastic. On the downside they will not call you a cab when you leave...you'll have to walk up the street and hail one yourself or you can drive and park in their enclosed courtyard.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

When we went there, we made our booking by phone. We booked about two months in advance, and we had a brilliant evening.

I would think that you'd have better luck getting a table during the week than on the weekends.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I'm trying to angle a reservation to Tetsuya's in June and I was wondering if anybody had the inside scoop on how to maximise my chances? Is it still  a 4 week lead time to the day? Would it be better to call than email? Would I be able to get a weekday night on shorter notice or is it equally as booked out all week? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks

The best way to get a table tis to have an Amex platinum Charge card where you can use the concierge service. they have 2-3 tables on permanent reservation.

Thanks

The best way to get a table tis to have an Amex platinum Charge card where you can use the concierge service. they have 2-3 tables on permanent reservation.

Anyone willing to book it for me then? Send me a PM. Or does it not work that way?

PS: I am a guy.

They don't have the email address listed on their webpage. Did they recently change the policy to phone only or something?

It looks like they want you to fax them your intentions now rather than e-mail. You can download the reso form off the site.

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...

It's probably too late now for Shalmanese.

If you stay at a 5-star hotel, such as the Westin, you can get the concierge to make a booking for you as well.

I didn't know this a few years ago.

So I made a booking 4 weeks in advance, and ended up having lunch there on a Saturday, which was still very nice nevertheless.

Shalmanese,

The trick is to book for at least 4 people! I know from first hard experience last week.

The story goes like this.... my husband had kindly offered to treat me and his brother to a meal at Tets, as a celebration of his new overseas job. His brother then rings Tets, only to find out that there are no booking available for the 1.5 months. By that time, my husband would already have left for overseas, to the deal was called up.

However, at work, a couple of colleagues were reminiscing about their meal at Tetsuyas, and I enquired with them how far in advance the had booked --> the answer --> 2 days! Agh. So, I decided to try myself.

I rang the number on the website, and enquired about tables for 3. Surely enough, nothing was available on any night, for any sitting, until September. What about a booking for two people? Nope, still booked out. I tried one last time to wrangle myself a spot.... how about 4 people? Sure, no problems, the well spoken woman at the other end of the line said. Then, she even asked which night we would prefer!

Is this a lucky occurrence? No. Several friends have correlated this phenomenon.

Would I recommend Tetsuyas? I hate to break, but the meal seemed a bit flat for my likely - similar tastes, similar temperatures, similar textures for each of the 12 dishes. However, I'm glad to have satisfied my desire to know what really goes on in there. The service and ambience is definitely a bit cut above the normal Sydney fare. I hope you get a reservation and enjoy your food better than our table of four did.