• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rockport, Maine

Hi,

The Market Basket has great (albeit expensive) sandwiches. The Corner Shop in Rockport Village is a local hangout, although my experience with their food has been mixed.

Will you be able to get to Camden or Rockland? That would expand your options quite a bit.

Jakob: log onto Chowhounds.com and you will find excellent dining in the Camden -- Rockland area......

Namely Primo is one of the top rated restaurants in New England and I see another chef coming up in Camden. I think it Francines...

Enjoy and report back

Hi,

I guess it depends upon what you like and how much you want to spend. I can second Cafe Miranda. I've only eaten there a couple of times but it was delicious. I can also highly recommend "The Edge Restaurant" in Lincolnville (just outside Rockland by about 20 minutes). The Edge.

Primo's has a good reputation too as does Natalie's at the Mill.

Enjoy dinner. :-)

Rob.

Breakfast joints... always good to know where to get a great breakfast! In Camden, Boynton-McKay... Good coffee and a fantastic huevos ranchero. The Mariner, across the street has gotten better recently. I can't say anything about the Corner Shop in Rockport because I haven't been there since it was remodeled. It was a beautiful old diner and the owner at the time tore everything old out and replaced with plywood boxes and new stuff. Tore my heart out... I loved that old place. For a local type breakfast experience there is The Rockland Cafe on Main St. Rockland. Best of all is the Thomaston Cafe for home baked breads and interesting specials... good eggs! good sausage! Good coffee! Comfy!

Primo is very good. Price and Melissa have added a new space upstairs and have moved the bar there. They have reopened just this week, I believe. Haven't been over there yet.

Cafe Miranda is not bad. The menu is bad. Way too many choices.

Amalfi. On Main St. Many people like it.

Francine in Camden is where we eat when Primo is closed. We share an order because the helpings are huge.

• 3 weeks later...

We live in NJ, but have a house in Stockton Springs (about 45 minutes north of the Camden area) that we rent out. When we are up there, we love to go to Primo. Also tried Francine last yr for the first time & it was terrific. Very cozy, great food, wine, & service.

We will be up there the wk of July 4th so would love to try some other places. I had heard about The Edge so maybe we'll give that a try this time. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog