• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinatown and Penn Quarter

Hey all--I'm meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time tomorrow, and I'm trying to find a nice spot to suggest to them for dinner. I'm going on a tour of NPR first tomorrow, so we'll be in the Chinatown area. Anybody have a suggestion? Middle of the road price-wise is good, doesn't have to be Chinese food.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Probably too late to help, but I'd add Rasika (Indian) to the Jenny's list and -- just to piss her off -- strike Zatinya as being the most overrated place ion the city. Not bad, just not 3-stars. I'd go to Matchbox but not to meet parents for a first time on a Saturday night. Atmosphere-wise, it's as much a bar with very good food as a restaurant.

As always, check and see if there's an event at Verizon Center and adjust your schedule to avoid the hour immediately before face-off or opening number, and just after whatever time you think the thing will end.

And, if someone in the party says, "oh the hell with it, let's just get a burger at Clyde's," slap them and run away.

(Note that no one's reccomending the Chinese.)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

There are far better options in that part of town.  Why eat a corporate burger?

Why? Because I think Clyde's has one of the best burgers in DC... True, it's not "the best", but there's nothing wrong with it... It's definitely very good! But I guess I am in the minority in thinking this... :shock:

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

Why? Because I think Clyde's has one of the best burgers in DC... True, it's not "the best", but there's nothing wrong with it... It's definitely very good! But I guess I am in the minority in thinking this... :shock:

Actually, not only do I like Clyde's burgers, I let my son work for the place. :laugh:

But, the Chinatown/Gallery Place location is out of control. Too big and too crazy and the few times I've been there, the service has been awful. If you want a good burger, go to the Chevy Chase location and ask for... (heck, I don't want to get him fired, he owes me money :wink: )

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Actually, not only do I like Clyde's burgers, I let my son work for the place. :laugh:

But, the Chinatown/Gallery Place location is out of control. Too big and too crazy and the few times I've been there, the service has been awful. If you want a good burger, go to the Chevy Chase location and ask for... (heck, I don't want to get him fired, he owes me money :wink: )

You know, I've never eaten the burger at the Chinatown location... In fact, I've only eaten there once, and don't remember if the food was good... I usually just hit the bar there... I'll heed your advice and avoid that location for food...

My experience with Clyde's is almost entirely based on the Georgetown location... I love that place... They actually cook my burger medium-rare when I ask for it medium-rare... Another bonus is 1/2 price wine on Sundays! :biggrin:

BackwardsHat.com

Hey all--I'm meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time tomorrow, and I'm trying to find a nice spot to suggest to them for dinner.    I'm going on a tour of NPR first tomorrow, so we'll be in the Chinatown area.  Anybody have a suggestion?  Middle of the road price-wise is good, doesn't have to be Chinese food.

Ahem. How about Chinese food in the area?

John

PS Yes, with your boyfriend's parents do the Cafe Atlantico, it's quite special, but for me selfishly, what Chinese is fun there?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Hey all--I'm meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time tomorrow, and I'm trying to find a nice spot to suggest to them for dinner.    I'm going on a tour of NPR first tomorrow, so we'll be in the Chinatown area.  Anybody have a suggestion?  Middle of the road price-wise is good, doesn't have to be Chinese food.

Ahem. How about Chinese food in the area?

John

PS Yes, with your boyfriend's parents do the Cafe Atlantico, it's quite special, but for me selfishly, what Chinese is fun there?

The "famous" places are holes in the wall: Full Kee and Chinatown Express (where they make the fresh noodles)

I don't really like either of those places... My 2 personal favorites are:

1) Chinatown Garden - This is where you go with a group of people or a date - NOT a hole in the wall, great atmosphere, great food, super friendly staff, full liquor selection (Scorpion bowl, volcano, etc...)

2) New Big Wong - This is where you go if you just want some good food - Hole in the wall, great food, no liquor (BYOB I think, but I've only ever gone there for the food), open till 4AM, best name for a Chinese restaurant ever...

Oh, and if you really want a "unique" experience, go to "Magic Gourd" restaurant in Columbia Plaza in Foggy Bottom! That place is great... Excellent Chinese food... And guess what John? They have steak frites on the menu!! And it's actually pretty good! I've gone there before for a nice wonton soup and some other chinese appetizers, then gotten the steak frites... :)

Edited by BackwardsHat (log)

BackwardsHat.com