• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bailing Mushrooms

Dejah

I picked up a can of "Bailing mushrooms" on one of my jaunts to Winnipeg. I hadn't seen this type before and was curious. Opened it last night and the mushroom was huge! It was cut into chunks and looked like abalone. It sliced like abalone and had a similar texture when you bite into it. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and didn't take any pictures. I had stir-fried it quickly with some asparagus - thinking to have a quick supper with the mushrooms and rice.

I googled it today and it is "abalone-like". My brother went to Wpg. this weekend, and I've sent him in search of more.

Anyone familiar with this fungi?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

COINCIDENCE

I am in Ottawa on a little driving trip with my brother. last night we had a family dinner and one of the dishes i recommended was Ba ling mushrooms. No one has heard of them before and when they were presented cooked like you would abalone, a couple of people thought that they were abalone. The texture is very dense. These were fresh mushrooms which in its fresh form stands about 4" tall and are pure white with a beige top. A perfect rendition of a delicious *ahem* phallic symbol. :shock::rolleyes:

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

They look like large oyster mushrooms. And if these are what I once tried in Chinatown, they also taste like oyster mushroom!

Can someone find the latin name? I'd like to verify my guess.

They look like large oyster mushrooms. And if these are what I once tried in Chinatown, they also taste like oyster mushroom!

Can someone find the latin name? I'd like to verify my guess.

Thanks google! I found it! It is a kind of oyster mushroom (pleurotus ferulse).

It wasn't so much the taste, but the texture that really caught my attention.

I will have to look out for fresh ones now.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It wasn't so much the taste, but the texture that really caught my attention.

I will have to look out for fresh ones now.

King oyster mushrooms have a similar texture... they might be easier to find. I love these mushrooms!

COINCIDENCE

I am in Ottawa on a little driving trip with my brother. last night we had a family dinner and one of the dishes i recommended was Ba ling mushrooms. No one has heard of them before and when they were presented cooked like you would abalone, a couple of people thought that they were abalone. The texture is very dense. These were fresh mushrooms which in its fresh form stands about 4" tall and are pure white with a beige top. A perfect rendition of a delicious *ahem* phallic symbol. :shock:  :rolleyes:

except one of the pictures linked makes them look like breast implants

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The ba ling mushrooms that we ate 3 times in the past 5 days, and have purchased to bring home, looked not at all like oyster mushrooms. The largest ones are about 4" tall, 1.5" thick around the extended barrel shaped stem and topped off with a small cap. The stem is creamy white and the cap is beige.

ef0a989f.jpg

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

My brother brought me three cans of Bailing mushrooms and a package of fresh oyster mushrooms. I've been waiting to do a side by side test for flavour and texture, but the mood and motivation is not cooperating. I did stir-fry a few of the oyster mushrooms and found the stems quite tough. The caps were fine, but not like the firmer texture of the bailing.

I also wanted to steam the pickerel, but it's been pouring rain for 3 days. I need to go outside to scale the fish! :angry:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The ba ling mushrooms that we ate 3 times in the past 5 days, and have purchased to bring home,  looked not at all like oyster mushrooms. The largest ones are about 4" tall, 1.5" thick around the extended barrel shaped stem and topped off with a small cap. The stem is creamy white and the cap is beige.

ef0a989f.jpg

Isn't that King Oyster mushroom? Are they the same thing as Bai Ling mushrooms? I'm confused now. :huh:

Cornfoozed?? So am I, because I heard them called king oyster 'shrooms. Then 3 times in the past 5 days we had them in Toronto restos and the menu says they are ba lings.

They might be the same mushroom... but my guess is that people use the more widely available king oyster and call it bailing... The canned bailing I had and the fresh king oysters I had felt and tasted quite similar.

The pleurotus genus is quite wide but some mushrooms have more than one name, so it might also be the exact same mushroom with two different names.

On this web page, the author seems to suggest that the bailing mushroom (Pleurotus eryngii var. ferulae ) is a type of king oyster (pleurotus eryngii) once thought to be a different species (Pleurotus ferulae var. Lanze). It's all hiden in the title.