• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking trout

Mr. Delicious

I recently caught some nice rainbow trout (1.5 to 2 lbs)and were going to smoke them, they are currently in a brine and was going to smoke them saturday. They are whole and gutted, I plan on wrapping half in bacon when I smoke them, should the bacon be partially cooked or would that cause too much fat rendering. I have smoked trout many times but are unsure on temperature and time. Any suggestions? Much appreciated!

Are you "hot" or "cold" smoking ?? as they are totally different things.

I suspect "Hot" .

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

I think I'd try it with uncooked bacon and see what happens (just make sure and have a drip pan!). Or, it you have enough trout, you could try some with uncooked bacon, and some with bacon that simply has some of the fat rendered out...

What kind of smoking apparatus?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I think I'd try it with uncooked bacon and see what happens (just make sure and have a drip pan!).  Or, it you have enough trout, you could try some with uncooked bacon, and some with bacon that simply has some of the fat rendered out...

What kind of smoking apparatus?

Its a cabellas stainless steel smoker runs of propane, and the temp is supposed to be very accurate (its a friends)

• 4 years later...

I've always wanted to try smoking or even just cooking trout. But it's a protected species here in NZ, and the only way to get hold of it is to either catch it yourself, or to be given it directly off the person who did. There is no commercial fishery and unless you live near a good trout river, there is no way to get it.