• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angostura Orange!

johnder

Robert Hess posted an update about the much anticipated Angostura Orange at his blog. In addition to revealing details about the date, he also has a great history lesson of bitters in general. But the killer is:

Recently I had heard a variety of rumors that Angostura's new bitters would be coming out fairly soon. Some were saying in a month or so, others were saying in the fall. I decided to take the bull by the horns and today got in contact with Patrick Sepe, the CEO of Angostura Spirits & Wine here in the US. As it turns out, Angostura Orange Bitters is set to be officially announced THIS WEEKEND [5/19/07], at the National Restaurant Associations annual show in Chicago. The plan is then to role out the product for nationwide distribution in late June or early July, with it expected to be available through every location that regular Angostura bitters is within six months.

The role out is going to be accompanied by both a marketing campaign aimed at raising the awareness of the importance that bitters can play in both cocktails and cooking, as well as a focus on getting bartenders to re-discover the cocktail craftsmanship that was common place prior to Prohibition. Angostura USA will also get it's own website, so that not only will information on it be more appropriate to an American audience, but it will also make it easier for contact, sales, marketing, and product information to be distributed quickly and efficiently.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

This will be very interesting indeed. Available through every location doesn't mean available at every location, of course, so we should start bugging the stores now. I somehow managed to convince a small place here that they needed Regan's orange bitters last year, so that's where I'm heading first.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I had an opportunity to try both test batches of Angostura Orange, and they both impressed mightily. I have every reason to believe that the roll out will put them at the head of an impressive class now including Gary's, Fee's, The Bitter Truth and Hermes. On another note... I wish more of these companies would try their hand at grapefruit bitters, lime bitters, lemon bitters (although there are two examples of this one now). Bergamot bitters would be very interesting.

--

• 5 weeks later...
Sam (and anyone else who's tried them), how does the Angostura compare to other existing bitters? I'm familiar with the Fee's and the Regan's, myself.

I've just received a bottle of AOB in the post (courtesy of Mickael Perron). :biggrin: I've yet to try them in drinks but hope to do so in the next few days.

Having tried a dash of it on it's own, they have an initial sweetness (similar to that of Cointreau), followed by a long finish of Cardamom and another spice that I can't put my finger on right now?!? :wacko:

They are exactly what you'd want/expect from a bottle of orange bitters, the sweetness and 'tang' of orange followed by a long bitter finish.

I think the Cardamom will work well with any liquor that has pronounced Vanilla flavours (Sailor Jerry for example), as Cardamom and Vanilla work really well together.

Rum Old-Fashioned with Sailor Jerry and AOB anyone? :smile:

Ciao,

Adam

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

• 2 months later...

i tried the angostura orange bitters last night at no. 9 park....

pretty cool stuff. i only tasted them on their own but ryan was mixing them up for guests....

they had an intensity that other orange bitters lacked. the actual bitter quality was real serious. very sexy stuff.

can't wait until i buy them at the supermarket....

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Angostura Orange Bitters have now reached London too !

Gerry's (Old Compton St) have just expanded their range of bitters and now have Angostura OB, Fee Bro's Barrel Aged and the Bitter Truth range (in addition to Fees Lemon , Regans OB and Peychauds which they have been carrying for some months).

The Barrel Aged is quite a price though - £10.50 - which at current exchange rates is just over $21. I imagine they are somewhat cheaper in the US.

gethin

• 6 months later...
I still haven't seen Angostura Orange anywhere in person or online. Any sources?

It looks like they're readily available in the UK, but I haven't been able to find them here either, and whenever I've asked about them at a spirits shop they've never even heard of them, and can't find them in their distributors book.

I just checked their website and couldn't find any information on them being available in the US, but I just sent them an email, so fingers crossed that I hear back with good news.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Sam (and anyone else who's tried them), how does the Angostura compare to other existing bitters? I'm familiar with the Fee's and the Regan's, myself.

I've just received a bottle of AOB in the post (courtesy of Mickael Perron). :biggrin: I've yet to try them in drinks but hope to do so in the next few days.

Having tried a dash of it on it's own, they have an initial sweetness (similar to that of Cointreau), followed by a long finish of Cardamom and another spice that I can't put my finger on right now?!? :wacko:

They are exactly what you'd want/expect from a bottle of orange bitters, the sweetness and 'tang' of orange followed by a long bitter finish.

I think the Cardamom will work well with any liquor that has pronounced Vanilla flavours (Sailor Jerry for example), as Cardamom and Vanilla work really well together.

I tried them a while ago at a bar here in NYC, and found them very oily and curry-like. I belive they were lower proof than the reg. and have a hard time imagining how they would incoperate in a stirred cocktail.

Toby

Rum Old-Fashioned with Sailor Jerry and AOB anyone? :smile:

Ciao,

Adam

I tried them a while ago at a bar here in NYC, and found them very oily and curry-like. I belive they were lower proof than the reg. and have a hard time imagining how they would incoperate in a stirred cocktail.

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Robert Hess just Posted over on the DrinkBoy MSN Forums:

I just got some e-mail from Patrick Sepe of Angostura USA, in which he said:

"Good News it's on the water expected to arrive in my warehouse end of the month distribution is by allocation but will be across the country April and May."

It's getting closer! :->

Soon we'll all know how it performs in cocktails!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 4 months later...

Been away from the forum here for awhile, so forgive me if this has been covered, but I still haven't seen these, despite checking some of the better sources for obscure or new cocktail ingredients in this area. Are they available?

Regards,

Tim

Why in the world is this stuff not available in stores in CA? How does that make any sense? I hate having to mail-order stuff like this, but I'll probably just do it. I think Amazon carries it too.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Why in the world is this stuff not available in stores in CA?  How does that make any sense?  I hate having to mail-order stuff like this, but I'll probably just do it.  I think Amazon carries it too.

Amazon's page for it links back to Kegworks anyway.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes