• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I get some Indian/Alphonso Mangoes in NJ?

So I heard last week on the radio about how Indian mango importation is set to begin into the US. A Pittsburgh newspaper article talked about the frenzy over the Alphonso and Kesar mangoes, so I was curious if anyone knew when these would be hitting local Indo-Pakistani groceries?

I'm not opposed to taking a trip down to Oak Tree Road to make this happen.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Diggin' the avatar! :-D

I googled Patel Brothers NJ and found an address: 1361 Oak Tree Rd. Anyone know if this is the one?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

You might also try the Indian grocers in Jersey City; wish I could tell you a name, but I don't know them! Just a tad closer than Oak Tree Road...

Another thought--when I saw Chef Floyd Cardoz of Tabla speak in Montclair a few weeks ago, he mentioned Casbah, an Indian market in W. Caldwell/Fairfield as one of his local favorites. Of course, I've now done a pretty extensive Google search and can't find it--anyone know it? He mentioned it being near Pio Costa...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I did go to Casbah a few weeks ago. It's in the Pia Costa industrial area. When heading west of Bloomfield Avenue, it's about a half mile or so before you hit Route 46 - on the right. Upon entering the complex, they are easy to find, just to the right. They must have another name, because they don't have a phone listing as Casbah. They had a fairly substantial produce selection, but I don't know if Indian mangoes were there.

Good luck. Marie

NJDuchess

Thanks, Marie! Just to clarify, if you're heading West ON Bloomfield Ave, you cross over Passaic Avenue and pass the Kings shopping center, correct? Want to be sure!

Curlz

ETA: Chef Cardoz mentioned that it's a great place to buy Indian ingredients in general...

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I'm looking at a map. It's in the vicinity of where Oak Road crosses Bloomfield Avenue and it's on the right. The name Pia Costa is on a prominent sign. This is heading west towards Pine Brook.

It is a great place to shop for Indian ingredients. I wanted to get Chat Masala. The woman at the register helped me find it (it wasn't with the spices) and steered me towards what she felt was the best brand. I also wanted to try frozen coconut, which they had. I am always intimidated by working with a fresh coconut, and this was a wonderful alternative. They had a great selection of papadum. I bought a bag of tiny ones - maybe 500 to the bag. For a quick snack, I place 10 or so on a paper towel in the microwave for about 45 seconds on high. I did get fenugreek seeds, and I forgot to look for fenugreek leaves (dried). If someone sees them, please let me know. It's a fun stop!

By the way, one of my clients told me about a place in Parsippany where she gets all of her Indian ingredients. (She doesn't like to go to Oak Tree Road.) She doesn't drive, so she couldn't tell me where it was. Anyone heard of this?

Marie

NJDuchess

I know the market you guys are mentioning in Fairfield. I think the name is Apna Bazaar.

That's on my way back from work on Mondays and Thursdays, and I can stop at the market on my way to work one day this week in Parsippany. If I find Alphonsos or other Indian mangoes, I'll keep you all posted.

I stand corrected, Apna Bazaar has become Kazbah!

I went in, and there was a sign saying "Indian mangoes coming soon, ask cashier!"

I did ask, and the cashier (some kid who's probably been plagued with us mango zeitgeist types by now :-D) said that what they had was Indian, but it was just standard Mexican mangoes. I eventually talked to another guy, who I think is the new owner. He gave me his card and said to call later this week. Ohoho!

I'll keep you guys posted. Apna Bazaar has changed; the half of the store that had hardware and other non-Indian housewares/goods is all empty, but there were tables and chairs being put in. The makings of a new Indian joint, maybe?

They DO have Kurkure now, which makes me so damn happy. A co-worker brought some back when he went to India for a wedding, and I've been hooked ever since. They just recently started coming into the US. Kurkure is basically Indian Cheetos, only instead of orange cheese powder, they're covered with different Indian spices. I'll report back on the ones I got - Hyderabad style and one other variety, I forget which. Kurkure is <3

There's an article in today's Ledger about Indian mangos...try this link!

Just called Kazbah... they expect to have Indian mangoes (don't know if they're Alfonso, Kesar, etc.) in on Friday. I'll try to make it out to them in the morning if at all possible.

• 2 weeks later...

A side-by-side comparison (with photos) of Mexican vs. Indian mangoes can be found here. (Original link via Serious Eats)

MJP, did you ever get any of the Indian mangoes?

No luck yet. Kazbah hasn't had them for weeks and their sign is gone. They were even out of the regular (Mexican) mangoes. :-(

The store is pretty much a shadow of itself, so chances are they may never have 'em. I think this is going to necessitate a trip to Patel Bros. on Oak Tree Road.

Edit: Subzi Mandi on Rt. 46 East in Parsippany gave me a weird look and a shake of the head when I asked if they were going to have any Indian mangoes in. I got my Kurkure Masala Munch, though, so at least they have their snackfood quotient up!

Edited by MJP (log)

SCORE!

Kazbah had three boxes of Kesar mangoes when I got there, and I swooped upon one. I talked with the lady in charge and she wants me to call her tomorrow to get in on a box of Alphonso. She's putting in an order for her wholesaler on Friday, and she reported that not many people have been able to get their hands on them in terms of supply.

I actually gave out a few as gifts: one to my physical therapist, two to my parents, and my roommates got one each. I had one... and oh Hare Krishna, Hare Rama, it's enough to instill a joy into my heart. They taste as mangoey as a good mango gets, the flesh is a little less firm, and it has a twinge of melon to it. There's astronomically less fibrousness around the pit and the skin comes off almost like a banana.

If you love mangoes... GET SOME.

If anyone wants me to snag a case, let me know and I'll grab one if it's available. Same for the Alphonsos next week.

These mangoes are made of love and win, hands down.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a sample of what I got from the site above.

The skin did not turn deep yellow or golden like normal Alphonso mangoes do when they ripen (perhaps due to the irradiation?) but they tasted very sweet and delicious...just like the ones in India.

gallery_21049_162_816.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

After reading all the above postings I was surprised to find Indian mangoes at the Kings in Verona. I was ready to buy them but they all felt very overripe and mushy. I think I was 3 days too late.

• 9 months later...

Mango season is again upon us. Kazbah, the Indian market at Pio Costa, has again changed hands (for the better; I wasn't happy with their produce selection and prices) and is now Patel Shah. They have boxes of Mexican mangoes for $8ish a dozen and Champagne mangoes for a little less.

I spoke with one of the employees last week and they weren't sure about Indian mangoes. This week, I stopped in and they pulled me aside to tell me that within the next week or two, they'll be stocking Kesar mangoes.

I'll post with this year's haul information. :-D

In an article posted on April 11th 2008, it was reported that the Kesar Mango growing season was very cold this year and that much of the fruit was stunted and damaged. Very few if any are going to be exported. I don't know if this same situation applies alphonso mangos.

Just to check, I did call one of the Subzi Mundi's that abound on Newark Avenue in Jersey City, NJ, where I go to do my Indian food shopping. They don't have any in yet and say they aren't sure if they will be getting any.

http://english.ntdtv.com/?c=151&a=2675

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 2 weeks later...

Patel Shah has their Indian mangoes in! They've got a stack of dozen-mango boxes of Alfonsos in, and they are beyond delicious. :-O

$34 a dozen but worth it if you really like mangoes.

Thanks for the tip, MJP! Picked up a box from Patel Shah on Friday (I think it was their last box - it had the paper with the price taped to it.)

Unfortunately most of the ones we got had significant sized brown spots inside, but still quite delicious nonetheless!