• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robert Brown Steps Down

Chris Amirault

On behalf of several generations of members and volunteers, I'd like to thank Mr. Brown for his contributions to the formation and development of the eGullet Society. He was instrumental in raising the level of discourse in our early years, always imbuing his posts with a higher purpose. There are few diners today who can speak with his level of experience, wisdom, knowledge and detachment. We look forward to whatever he has in store, and to his continued eG Forums participation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Robert, you've done so much work to make this site what it is. I look forward to many more knowledgeable, lucid posts from you. Enjoy life as an Emeritus staff member!

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Mr. Brown demonstrates that wit, wisdom, integrity, discernment, good taste, and elegance of thought and prose, not to mention menschkeit, are not necessarily incompatible with residence on the Upper East Side. (It must be that house in Nice.)

Best wishes always, Robert.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

Dear Robert,

With your wisdom and kindness you touched the heart of eGullet and made it smile. Without you, the well of inspiration dries up and the muses flee, but your words stay for other eGullet generations to see and learn from, and I hope we’ll have a chance to read many more of your thoughts and experiences.

Robert, you have always been a champion of "the informed diner" and have always provided us with great information. I hope to continue to glean pearls of wisdom from your experience.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

From time to time words don't jump into my head, even if swords do. This is one of those times. I'm sorry I didn't and couldn't do more in the forum of the coountry I love the most for culinary good times. I appreciate the kind words from my long-time eGullet pals, just about every one I've met and dined with here and abroad. Most of all, I'm not voluntarily going elsewhere and plan to continue my curmudgeonly and zealous contributions.

I like Robert for at least three reasons though I don't know him at all in person.

First, if there is anyone that has not read the eG forum The Symposium, I can say that there is some really good stuff in there, a lot of it by him.

Second, he has an expansive frame of mind, I believe, and seems interested in many things. A thinker.

Third, he just sounds like the nicest guy from his posts. I think he smiles a lot.

Don't be a stranger, Mr. Brown. :smile:

Carrot Top, I'm glad you mentioned and linked to The Symposium. I admit I forgot about that forum. There was indeed a lot of high-quality discussion there.

Robert, I think you should be the last person to even consider apologizing about not doing more work here, in any respect. You did so much great work, and of course you were paid in nothing but gratitude and satisfaction for your generous volunteering.

Michael aka "Pan"