• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Coolest "Sculpture" Evah

K8memphis

Click here and then click on the "See the baking of" in the left corner, Just start clicking and following all the foodie things and all the lifesavers and when you get 'inside' you click on stuff that takes you to the most charming video ever made.

I am in love! don't care where they put the steering wheel I want one!!!

And for someday when the linkage expires, it's a full size car made from cake including the engine and lights and interior. Inside the lights are placed dragees to reflect and then the red covering of a light is placed over just like a real tail light only it's edible. And the outside panels of the body of the car are made from poured rice krispie treats and it's all more than beyond amazing. The hood really opens up and you see all the detail of the engine, done in cake and candy.

:wub::wub::wub:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Wow! Did you notice that they were pouring syrup into the engine to simulate oil/transmission fluid? Now that's attention to detail. And they were using fresh ingredients in the cake. I wonder who got to eat it? I think that the rice krispies panels are a brilliant idea. Did anybody write down the recipe that they provided? :biggrin:

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

"Full of lovely stuff" indeed!

That's just too cool for words. 

Just don't let anyone at the Food Network see it - or we'll see a whole new set of Cake Challenge shows...

Ny sentiments exactly. Duff Goldman will be putting fireworks in it so it can spit out

smoke and flames! :laugh:

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I would probably be the last person you'd expect to say this, but I find that the more that food is handled or fiddled with, the less appetizing it becomes. Too many hands, too many people....bleah.

It's "edible" sure.....but would I want to eat it? Not really. To me, this is where food crosses "the line" and ceases to be food. :wacko:

I think it is at the least one of the kick-ass-in'est cakes ever. Put it this way, top that, personally or in print somewhere.

I'm still mad at myself for not participating in the construction of a ginormous gingerbread house here in Elvistown some years ago. The guy was building another one to break his own record. It was two stories high as I recall and he took helpers on and I didn't help. <where's the cut yourself deeply smilie face> And I was through with cakin' and had a heavy duty job & bladeebladeebla. Yeah he said this was his last one hahaha I know he's said that before. Wonder where he's building this year?? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure the point of the car was not the serving and eating of it although I could be wrong. But I'm so very curious about it only having 180 eggs. Did I read that right as the ingredients list sailed past? Fifteen dozen eggs. Lessee 15 x 12 = 180. That ain't a lotta egg man.

But I'm so very curious about it only having 180 eggs. Did I read that right as the ingredients list sailed past? Fifteen dozen eggs. Lessee 15 x 12 = 180. That ain't a lotta egg man.

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. Although I suppose that all the rice krispie panels didn't have any eggs in them. There sure were a lot of cake "blocks" though. Maybe they meant 180kg of eggs? But that would be too many! Maybe they just lost count.

Pretty cool. I better not let my husband see it or he'll expect me to make a full size motorcycle cake for his business LOL...

I went back & forth & back & forth over the little video and there seems to be ten rows high-ish give or take and across the front it's three cakes wide. It's not solid cake all the way through & through. So roughly figure the car is twice as long as it is wide ish gives you 3x6x10. So like that would very approximately be one egg per cake. Still isn't much but..I bet they used some powdered egg white or something.

I would love to get the home economist on here to talk about it! That cake seemed very forgiving and uncrumbly. They baked the heck out of it too.

The cake is really gorgeous!!! That's true, I would never eat it (see, they have the shoes on when go at the cake area and there are many others not sanitary things). I think it was made as advetisment :rolleyes:

I'm wandering how that poured rice krispie treats stand their weight?

Interesting, how did thay cover the cake with fondant...

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

yes, this is currently (May 07) an ad on UK TV.

I have to say I think it's utter, utter genius. In fact, since we're in the spirit of truth-telling, it is so beautiful - the whole ad - from people stirring raisins into fruit cake batter, to the final reveal of the whole car made out of cake + icing, it made me well up! Such a brilliant idea.

(And I am so ridiculous.)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese