• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You aren't supposed to eat it like that!

The last Philippina nanny would put ketsup on top of pasta that had tomato sauce already on it.

Oh my! Well, she's gotta be a little homesick. Many, but not all, recipes of spaGEEti (TM Giada) served at parties here (especially fiestas and children's birthday parties) have ketchup in them. So much so that some canned spaGEEti sauces are labeled "Sweet Style," thus making it more economical, not that people still don't add ketchup to them.

Interesting...when we were kids, my mother decided to make spaghetti with meat sauce. Well, since we didn't know any better being first generation Chinese immigrants and all, my mom decided that ketchup was tomato sauce. (which I guess it kinda is) So growing up I ate and loved my mom's speghetti and meat sauce made with ketchup, pork, onions and rigatonni. :wub: It might sound weird but it's actually very good.

you think that's bad? when my mom's friend's mother (whew!) first moved to the states from korea, she ate a can of dog food, because she thought it was for human consumption. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I have eaten doggie biscuits before and they taste really bland. Don't worry, they weren't alpo they were all natural organic ones from a specialty shop.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Abomination! Chips* should be eaten with lashings of vinegar and salt!

*(French fries, to you Yanks)  :raz:

I keep a bottle of Malt for such things esp. if I am makeing them fresh.I cringe when I see people drown good food with something as foul as ketchup as it robs food of heat anf flavor. I half expect to see a new fad of doing ketchup shooters.

Living hard will take its toll...

you think that's bad? when my mom's friend's mother (whew!) first moved to the states from korea, she ate a can of dog food, because she thought it was for human consumption. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I have eaten doggie biscuits before and they taste really bland. Don't worry, they weren't alpo they were all natural organic ones from a specialty shop.

I cut my baby teeth on Milk Bone dog biscuits; the dog stole my Zwieback, I stole his Milk Bones! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The last Philippina nanny would put ketsup on top of pasta that had tomato sauce already on it.

Oh my! Well, she's gotta be a little homesick. Many, but not all, recipes of spaGEEti (TM Giada) served at parties here (especially fiestas and children's birthday parties) have ketchup in them. So much so that some canned spaGEEti sauces are labeled "Sweet Style," thus making it more economical, not that people still don't add ketchup to them.

Interesting...when we were kids, my mother decided to make spaghetti with meat sauce. Well, since we didn't know any better being first generation Chinese immigrants and all, my mom decided that ketchup was tomato sauce. (which I guess it kinda is) So growing up I ate and loved my mom's speghetti and meat sauce made with ketchup, pork, onions and rigatonni. :wub: It might sound weird but it's actually very good.

I expect she thought it was tinned dog. Korean grannies love dog,I've been on some very amusing excursions in Seoul!

I expect she thought it was tinned dog. Korean grannies love dog,I've been on some very amusing excursions in Seoul!

I doubt it, she probably just didn't know any better. my korean grandmother has never had dog in her life :hmmm: I on the other hand would probably not pass up some dog in korea though

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

So, back to the origin of this thread, a bunch of eGulleteers in Philly went out for Korean Barbecue this past weekend. Armed with this new insight, we all tried making single-bite-sized packages by tearing our leaves in half, etc. I must say I failed miserably. I think everybody else did too. By the time I got a nice package with all the stuff in it that I wanted, even on a small-ish piece of lettuce, it was just too big to do in one bite.

I mean, it was possible, in fact I did one or two like that, but it was much more enjoyable to take a few bites from my clumsy, poorly-formed "burrito."

That said, we were watching the folks around us, and true enough the old Korean guys were amazing, handling pretty huge rolls in one smooth motion. We were in awe.

Darn, I think we might have to go practice some more.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com