• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southport, NC

What are the greatest finds in and around Southport?

Fresh seafood retail

Kid friendly porch-and-beer spots

Upscale seafood

and anything else!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What are the greatest finds in and around Southport?

Fresh seafood retail

Kid friendly porch-and-beer spots

Upscale seafood

and anything else!

It's been three years since I've been there but I was a regular visitor. What I remember is:

Fresh seafood retail -- There's a small market behind a divey tavern at the foot of the bridge that crosses over to Oak Island...across the highway from the airport. They sell same day catch along with all the accompaniments. Can't think of the name of the place but I could find it anytime.

Kid friendly porch-and-beer spots -- Without question, The Provision Company. This is exactly what it is along with well made seafood.

Upscale seafood -- Not only seafood but just an outright upscale restaurant...The Pharmacy. Also, if you drive into the far end of the marina, there's a seafood restaurant that juts out over the water right near a tiki bar and across from a motel. Again, I can't think of the name but it's pretty easy to find.

Hope this helps. I love Southport and the surrounding area.

We're heading back to Oak Island soon, where we go to visit some friends who have a beach house there. For any really strong restaurants you need to drive up to Wilmington, however you can certainly get good retail seafood in Southport. Bernie is almost certainly talking about Clem's (Clem's Seafood, 4351 Long Beach Road SE), which definitely seems to be the best. Also there's a guy standing on the side of that road many mornings selling shrimp out of a cooler -- highly recommended.

On Oak Island, the most enjoyable place we've found is the Fish House. It's in the Blue Point Marina on Oak Island. Totally casual, family-friendly, a little bit divey, simple, good-quality seafood.

If we discover anything new this time around I'll be sure to mention it, but we tend to do a lot of cooking at the beach house, with just a meal or two out during the week.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 years later...