• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Photos from my trip to Mexico City

Just got back from a couple of days in Mexico City to see the family. Took as many photos as possible-I could not take my camera everywhere because the crime rate has gone way up and mugging/kidnapping is a serious threat.

We had many family obligations, but got a lot of tacos into a small time frame. I miss the food already...

You can see the photos BY CLICKING THIS LINK

Enjoy!

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

I miss the food already...

I've eaten my way around Mexico City several times. It is so underrated as a food destination. From street vendors, to open air markets, to fine dining, Mexico City has it going on. It is truly unfortunate that most Americans have no appreciation for the greatness of real Mexican food.

Here is a good guide book for those interested in the best food in Mexico City: Mexico City: An Opinionated Guide for the Curious Traveler .

Disclaimer: I am related to the author, but it is a great book, even according to independent book reviewers (who are in no way related to the author)!

I've eaten my way around Mexico City several times.  It is so underrated as a food destination.  From street vendors, to open air markets, to fine dining, Mexico City has it going on.  It is truly unfortunate that most Americans have no appreciation for the greatness of real Mexican food.

Amen 1000 times. I'm so sick of going out for "Mexican" food, and its the same menu -- by the numbers -- with the same 6 ingredients. So far my worst experience has been a place in Atlanta that I've ordered mole at 3 times, and I've gotten enchilada sauce 3 times. Sanborn's would cringe.

I miss the food already...

I've eaten my way around Mexico City several times. It is so underrated as a food destination. From street vendors, to open air markets, to fine dining, Mexico City has it going on. It is truly unfortunate that most Americans have no appreciation for the greatness of real Mexican food.

Here is a good guide book for those interested in the best food in Mexico City: Mexico City: An Opinionated Guide for the Curious Traveler .

Disclaimer: I am related to the author, but it is a great book, even according to independent book reviewers (who are in no way related to the author)!

It's a GREAT book!!! Best guide on the market..

Nice, appetizing shots. i may need to plan a return visit sooner rather than later!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Just got back from a couple of days in Mexico City to see the family. Took as many photos as possible-I could not take my camera everywhere because the crime rate has gone way up and mugging/kidnapping is a serious threat.

We had many family obligations, but got a lot of tacos into a small time frame. I miss the food already...

You can see the photos BY CLICKING THIS LINK

Enjoy!

Wonderful pics! It's such fun to eat in Mexico City, open air cafes, carnitas, street vendors galore.

I am interested in hearing about the increased crime rate, and am surprised as well. I spent the Winter in Mexico, several weeks of it in MX City, stayed in the Roma & Condesa areas. The had just added 200 additional English speaking policemen, and the major tourist areas were just thick with them. We went everywhere, even rode the subway later at night, and then walked 10 blocks to our hotel, all without feeling unsafe or concerned in any way. In fact, I wore my camera around my neck until my neck ached, lol, and was never concerned about it.

I am preparing to return for the month of June to MX, will spend some time again in MX City, so please update me on the latest crime concerns. And which areas to stay away from.

Thanks

I don't have any hard statistics to share, but both my parents, who are D.F. natives, seemed overly concerned with our safety versus our last visits there (and I have been going there since I was 3 years old). To see my father, who is in a different country every week, compulsively lock our car doors and remind us to do the same even when riding around during the day, was enough to make me overly cautious and I consider myself to be a seasoned traveler.

A trip to a relatively nice restaurant had me shocked at the armed guards out in front. Some of the stories we heard from our family were enough to make me be covert with the picture taking especially at night.

I would not recommend anyone make themselves stand out as a tourist in any way.

Just my opinion though.

With all this being said, a trip to Mexico City is still fabulous and worth it. I wish I could have been there longer.

• 1 month later...

Crime statistics are not reliable, as the vast majority of crimes go unreported. WIth that said, I have felt the safety situation in Mexico city improve slightly over the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong, the city can still be a very unsafe place, but at the end of the day, you just need to use some common sense, as you would in any large city. More specifically, I would advise against using public transportation like the subway and the buses, which are notoriously unsafe. I would also stay clear from flagging cabs down in the street, and would instead use a car service or go to a taxi "sitio" (taxi stops) which are located all around the city.

Arley Sasson

I live in Mexico City and do not find it to be dangerous. We who love this city are weary of hearing foreigners (and particularly the American press) promulgating untrue or exaggerated tales of terror, spreading fear and suspicion and thereby creating predjudice against Mexico and Mexicans. Of course there is crime here! Of course everybody knows of someone who was robbed. That's life in any big city. Ask a New Yorker or a Parisian. Yes, there are armed guards at places frequented by the privileged; that's life in a class-based society where there is a large gap between the haves and have-nots.

I never "advise against using public transportation" I use it myself every day; the only "danger" is pickpocketing which can easily be avoided by not carrying anything of value and/or stashing valuables where they cannot be reached. If one is doubtful about hailing taxis off the street, there are sitios or cab stands all over the place, in every neighborhood and at hotels and places frequented by tourists. And there are safe radio taxis as well, which any restaurant will call for you. Even the most expensive radio taxi service is much cheaper than the equivelant New York cab ride. But the metro costs 20 US cents and is fast and clean, and I highly reccomend it!

As many eGullet members know, Mexico City has a vibrant culinary culture and anyone interested in gastronomy ought to visit it to eat and study. I once more recommend the book "Mexico City: An Opinionated Guide for the Curious Traveler" by Jim Johnston, which is available on Amazon and explains in detail how to get around and deal with this admittedly formidible metropolis.

I am Mexican, and I lived in Mexico City for the first 20 years of my life. The last thing I would be interested in doing is slandering my own country or encouraging people not to go. To the contrary, as a tourist and culinary destination, I think that few destinations rival Mexico City. With that said, I would encourage people to use their judgement and be careful, the same way they would be in any large city (I do find New York to be a much safer city).

As nickarte mentioned above, even the most expensive taxi service is cheap compared to the US, so why not take advantage of that?

Edited by ASM NY (log)

Arley Sasson

• 1 month later...

I've always felt as safe in Mexico City as I did in San Francisco, but New York does not have one of the lowest crime rates and is one of the safest cities in the U.S., unlike Atlanta, New Orlean, or Detroit, if I remember statistics correctly. I did take the subway on a regular basis, but it did have some scary moments, especially when guys would drop a bag of broken glass in the aisle, throw themselves on top of the glass, pick it back up and then demand money for their performance. One of them got right in my face and was quite intimidating, but I refuse to encourage such behavior by giving them money.

I found several restaurants in Condesa that I liked, but most meals were prepared by servants at my friends' houses.

• 2 weeks later...
I've always felt as safe in Mexico City as I did in San Francisco, but New York does not have one of the lowest crime rates and is one of the safest cities in the U.S., unlike Atlanta, New Orlean, or Detroit, if I remember statistics correctly.  I did take the subway on a regular basis, but it did have some scary moments, especially when guys would drop a bag of broken glass in the aisle, throw themselves on top of the glass, pick it back up and then demand money for their performance.  One of them got right in my face and was quite intimidating, but I refuse to encourage such behavior by giving them money.

I found several restaurants in Condesa that I liked, but most meals were prepared by servants at my friends' houses.

The guys who do the glass thing are desperately poor and are "performing" for tips. While it is horrible, and I agree not to encourage it, they are in no way threatening to the public. The only bad thing I've ever heard to happen on the metro is pickpocketing.

My entire family lives in Mexico City and I would never put it down in any way. I definitely think D.F. is a gorgeous and virbrant place full of history and culture.

However, to say the crime is not a problem there is simply not true. My cousins have been robbed numerous times and I have had (middle-class) friends kidnapped for ransom. When I was last there, my cousin, who has lived there her entire 32 years, said she really loved Mexico City, but just did not feel safe there and she is a pretty tough gal.

Like many have said in this thread (which was originally started to share food photos from my trip Mexico City this summer), use your best judgment and you should be fine. But, to ignore the crime in the name of of city pride is simply ridiculous. I live in Atlanta and I love it here, but there are plenty of areas that are not safe and I know not to take public transportation at night, walk with expensive things on, etc. That doesn't mean I am putting my town down.