• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Cheeses

Alberts

Parmigiana Reggiano: If I was on a desert island, this is the one thing that I would just have to have!

Pecorinos in all their manifestations

Sheep milk ricotta

Gorganzola!! Dolce and Piquante.

Was I supposed to pick one (!) favorite??  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'll have what she's having, in a different order and on a different kind of island where nothing gets too melty unless I want it to.* No toma. Nothing esoteric. But:

1) Sub mozzarella di bufala for the piquante (if I have to give one up) and

2) Bump Gorgonzola up to second place.

3) If I settle for a single aged pecorino (Locatelli), please add Montasio, Medio. I fell in love with frico last year and now I can't buy Montasio ANYWHERE nearby since Whole Foods says it doesn't sell and they won't order it anymore. :sad:

Sub for ricotta made from sheep's milk: in a pinch. Please excuse me if it's heretical and hardly ricotta, but Whole Food's does sell a very creamy, mild French feta made with the milk of ewes. Good mixed with pasta.

*Marble in a nice, big modern kitchen somewhere in Sicily, perhaps, with as many special gadgets as Franci owns.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

At school last week, we tried Grana Padano, which is very similar to Parmagiana Reggiano and a fraction of the price. Worth a try if you haven't had.

-mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

At school last week, we tried Grana Padano, which is very similar to Parmagiana Reggiano and a fraction of the price.  Worth a try if you haven't had.

-mark-

Grano Padano is certainly good, and fun to say, but to me, it doesn't have the depth of flavor that a good Parmagiana Reggioano has.  Were you able to do a side by side tasting? Would  be interesting.

Parmigiana Reggiano: If I was on a desert

Sub for ricotta made from sheep's milk: in a pinch. Please excuse me if it's heretical and hardly ricotta, but Whole Food's does sell a very creamy, mild French feta made with the milk of ewes. Good mixed with pasta.

*Marble in a nice, big modern kitchen somewhere in Sicily, perhaps, with as many special gadgets as Franci owns.

Na, don't feel bad for picking the sheep's milk ricotta. In the little town of Zagarolo where i lived for the last 6 months the cheese guy always looked happy when I chose the ricotto pecora.

next up to try is Formaggio Ubriaco (drunken cheese), of course, now i need to get an Italian cheese guide and a journal too.

As for Grana Padano, it's a fine cheese to grate over some pasta but it doesn't touch Parmigiano Regg. But Grana is great when you're broke, like me!

Pecorino toscano from Pienza

Real Fontina-just about impossible to find in the US

One-hour old mozzarella di buffala

What Mark said, although I would substitute Gorgonzola Dolce for the Fontina. Fresh sheep's mlk ricotta is right up there as well. I couldn't not include a nicely aged Provolone as well.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

i'm there with the taleggio, toma, gorgonzola and montasio...but when i think of the south i think crotonese-especially aged and goat

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I had my first taste of burrata on friday. Sublime. Herb notes of sweet thyme, buttery obviously, silky smooth texutre. Unbeliveable. Ate it with some first of the season asparagus, lemon, a light fruity olive oil and salt.

Taleggio has always been a favourite but I have recently come across a cheesmaker from Dorset in Southern England who makes a cheese called Alderwood to a similar meathod of taleggio and is exceptional.

Finally some quote decent provolo? a hard mature cows milk cheese which a shaved over some broad beans.

I had my first taste of burrata on friday. Sublime. Herb notes of sweet thyme, buttery obviously, silky smooth texutre. Unbeliveable. Ate it with some first of the season asparagus, lemon, a light fruity olive oil and salt.

Taleggio has always been a favourite but I have recently come across a cheesmaker from Dorset in Southern England who makes a cheese called Alderwood to a similar meathod of taleggio and is exceptional.

Finally some quote decent provolo? a hard mature cows milk cheese which a shaved over some broad beans.

Sounds like you scored a beautiful burrata. When it's good, it's divine.

I think I would add my support to Pecorino Toscano, and I'm glad Provolone was mentioned, but I have to mention Asiago. A really good Asiago is delicious!

Michael aka "Pan"

Just thought I might share this experience with you. Over the Memorial Day weekend, I wound up at Stu Leonards in Danbury Ct. It's a large 'dairy' grocery store that is set up in a terrifying, claustrophobic, maze pattern, has Stephen King-like singing animals posted around, brick floors that are uneven and make even more noise; in short, it gives me nightmares. But, every once in awhile, I get sucked in, thinking, "Oh come on. Stop being a weiney snob, it can't be that bad."

Back to cheese: I stopped by the cheese counter, where a woman was cutting up pieces of Grana Padana for tasting. She handed it to a man and said, "It's called Grana Padana and itsparmesan chesse." I took the bait, and said, in my most 'well, isn't it great to be here' voice, "Excuse me but Grana Padana and Parmigiana are not the same cheese."

She said, "Oh, here it is."

The man tasting the cheese spit it out and said, "It's hard as a rock." (which it wasn't. I tasted it.)

The cheese lady went on to tell me more stories about people tasting cheese. One woman said why would she want to eat grated cheese with her wine?

Sometimes, a little reality check is a good thing. In Stu Leonard's world, parmigiana comes in plastic tubs and that's just the way it is.

I bought some tallegio, and moved on.

Just thought I might share this experience with you. Over the Memorial Day weekend, I wound up at Stu Leonards in Danbury Ct.  It's a large 'dairy' grocery store that is set up in a terrifying, claustrophobic, maze pattern, has Stephen King-like singing animals posted around, brick floors that are uneven and make even more noise; in short, it gives me nightmares.  But, every once in awhile, I get sucked in, thinking, "Oh come on. Stop being a weiney snob, it can't be that bad."

Back to cheese: I stopped by the cheese counter, where a woman was cutting up pieces of Grana Padana for tasting.  She handed it to a man and said, "It's called Grana Padana and itsparmesan chesse."  I took the bait, and said, in my most 'well, isn't it great to be here' voice, "Excuse me but Grana Padana and Parmigiana are not the same cheese."

She said, "Oh, here it is."

The man tasting the cheese spit it out and said, "It's hard as a rock."  (which it wasn't. I tasted it.)

The cheese lady went on to tell me more stories about people tasting cheese. One woman said why would she want to eat grated cheese with her wine?

Sometimes, a little reality check is a good thing. In Stu Leonard's world,  parmigiana comes in plastic tubs and that's just the way it is. 

I bought some tallegio, and moved on.

Parm is probably the great Italian cheese that I take most for granted. That is probably because it is generally readily available and maintains good quality on the journey to the US. At its best, it is sublime!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Top three cheese experiences in Italy:

1 - Mozzarella di bufala for antipasti at a trattoria in Rome (a ball of cheese with one hand-stretched side, just a bit of olive oil). My wife was laughing at me I was in such ecstasy.

2 - Four cheese sauce (unfortunately I can't remember the cheeses) on gnocchi in San Gimignano

3 - Walking into any cheese shop in Italy and smelling something that I can only describe as old feet but realizing that the separate elements that create that caucophony of smells are all delicious. Yes, my mind works in mysterious ways :biggrin:

- This afternoon, my neighbor gave me some Robiola di Roccaverano from Cascina Furné in Monestero Bormida. Here abouts it is traditionally served when you die and go to Heaven.

- I use Montasio in my polenta for great effect.

- On my hit list: Bitto

Edited by SWISS_CHEF (log)

Just thought I might share this experience with you. Over the Memorial Day weekend, I wound up at Stu Leonards in Danbury Ct.  It's a large 'dairy' grocery store that is set up in a terrifying, claustrophobic, maze pattern, has Stephen King-like singing animals posted around,

Hahaha! I know the store well! You mean you don't like the singing farm animals? I think that's the reason most people go there! I like the golden rule carved in stone!

Stu must have been related to the Ringling brothers.

Buffalo mozzarella, preferably fresh off the farm in the south.

And, in one of the best/worst cheese experiences of all time, buying a big "scoop" of fresh sweet gorgonzola from a cart beside the road near Torre Pellice and everyone scooping it up with their fingers. After we all just took a pee break beside the road behind a rock.

• 2 weeks later...

This year our favourite cheeses from Piedmont (echoed by others)

* Robiola di Roccaverano - goat cheese

* blue Montecenisio

* Castlemagno, the real thing from artisan cheese shops if you can't get to Castlemago.

And from outside Piedmont

Fiore di Sardegna - sheeps cheese from Sardinia.

a meal without cheese is like a kiss without a smile!

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

• 3 weeks later...

Hello- This seems to be just the place to ask a question that has been on my mind(such as it is) for some time:Is there an Italian version of frommage blanc? I make this style of cheese at home and am curious to know if there are Italian dishes I can use it in.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Hello- This seems to be just the place to ask a question that has been on my mind(such as it is) for some time:Is there an Italian version of frommage blanc? I make this style of cheese at home and am curious to know if there are Italian dishes I can use it in.

While I'm only guessing that your reference to fromage blanc is to a versatile fresh cheese that can be sweetened or drained and molded, there are many. The most obvious is ricotta, of course. Marscapone--though it's not drainable. (Ditto mozzarella or fior di latte.)

There are other regional varieties that are extremely popular, some sold far from home, some under the brand names of major dairy companies. (Sort of like Philadelphia Cream Cheese which is also popular in Italy since it has a similar milky, clean taste.) E.g. Crescenza/Stracchino, which is sort of like marscapone, though with more body--the consistency of a very runny Brie while still chilled--and without a ripe cheese's smell.

Some of the regional cooking threads contain references to local, fresh cheeses that are sold immediately after production.

ETA: A couple links to get you going (just type in "formaggi freschi" and "italia" for more google searches): One. Two.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath