• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to cook when chefs come to dinner

Fat Guy

Cooking for chefs has always been easy and not intimidating at all. They're happy to have someone cook for them.

Yesterday, however, I had a similar situation that was a bit more daunting: cook for a restaurateur, his wife, and their 4 friends -- a dinner that they won in an auction for a local charity. They had heard that I was a good cook and got involved in a mini-bidding war. Thus, the pressure was on.

Luckily, everything went well. I did use some luxury ingredients (summer truffles, aged balsamic), but we had a very good meal. And seeing they brought the wine -- and it was damn fine wine -- I'd say I ended up the big winner!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

a dinner that they won in an auction for a local charity.  They had heard that I was a good cook and got involved in a mini-bidding war. 

The worst is when that happens and 1) you're actually not a good cook and, 2) you have to make the dinner at someone else's house and, 3) they're the only rich people in America without a mint-condition/rarely-used 48" Viking range, instead they have a ratty 30" Magic Chef from the 1970s that can't even boil a big stockpot full of water in less than an hour, because they give all their money to charity.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I am a pro and have been in the game for more than 20 years. I will admit that when I have the rare opportunity to dine out at a Restuarant, I tend to be critical. When I am at someone's home, you can serve me pancakes and bacon or a pot roast or grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's Tomato Soup and I will be happy. We come to dinner to be with friends and family. We work in the trenches everyday. The opportunity to hang-out and enjoy people is what really matters to most of us on the rare day off.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Haven't entertained any chefs myself, but my parents often have their restaurant-owner friends of a well-regarded fine dining spot over for meals. I happened to be over at the 'rents this weekend and we had a simple casual grill -- grilled whole prawns, fresh BC salmon, lamb, ribs, plenty of bread and a couple salads. Fruit, cookies, ice cream for dessert. All washed down with copious amounts of wine. Messy, delicious, and enjoyed outside on the deck. Sometimes my parents and their restaurant friends will cook a meal together. Other times, the friends will cook. But it's always simple food family-style, and we always have a blast together. :smile:

On the rare occasion I do get off for an evening (like tonight, huzzah!) I not looking, like most other chefs I know, for anything fancy. I wish people would just not be afraid I'm going to critique. I was rather refreshing about a month ago and I was at a dinner party at a good friends house and the guests commented 'oh, I'd be so scared to cook for a chef'. My friend, god bless her, responded 'well once you've been through the drive through at Wendy's at 2am with someone it kinda erases that.'