• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to cook when chefs come to dinner

Fat Guy

"Oh, I just wanted to let you know, my date for your dinner party is Alain Ducasse."

I spend a lot of time armchair quarterbacking the work of professional chefs. But once in awhile, a chef comes to dinner and I feel as though my bluff has been called.

It occurred to me that, in this day and age, with food being so much a part of pop culture in so many nations, with culinary school attendance skyrocketing, and with food awareness generally at an all-time high (especially in the New World), a lot more people are probably finding themselves in this situation than ever before.

I'd love to hear from those who have hosted chefs, and from chefs themselves, about how to deal with this situation. I may even get an article out of this, so I'll warn folks in advance I may quote them.

My two cents: keep it simple. I know I'm not going to impress a real chef with any of the "fancy" food I can cook to impress regular people. Rather, I'll tend towards rustic, simple items like braised short ribs or brisket, potatoes roasted with olive oil and thyme, a tomato salad in season, fruit for dessert. I think this accomplishes two things: first, it avoids triggering the professional cook's critical instincts, and second I think a lot of chefs really just appreciate a home-cooked meal and nothing says home-cooked like braised beef and potatoes.

Agree? Disagree? Any thoughts or experiences to share?

P.S. I was just using Ducasse as a hypothetical. He's never been to my house for dinner. I've never had a Michelin three-star chef over, though I have had guests who've worked in Michelin three-star kitchens. By the way, they tend to be a lot less picky than normal guests. I've never once heard a special dietary request or a claim of allergy from a chef guest.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What do you cook when anyone comes to dinner? I've never had anyone in the industry expect to be treated differently when they've been a guest at my table. Why change your menu? If you're worried that a chef will find out that you're a hack in the kitchen, don't you think other informed guests would figure that out also? I've cooked for several chefs, I've cooked 'fancy' food and simple food, I'm not going to dumb down my meal or try and harder based on who is coming to dinner. Granted, I wouldn't serve my grandmother monkfish liver, but that's a different story.

I agree that chefs don't expect to be treated differently. Indeed, they tend to be less picky than the average guest. But it's not about what they expect. It's about me, as the host, wanting to do what my guests will most enjoy.

It's like if you're a decent amateur pianist. Let's say you're in the habit of playing for friends after dinner, and of course they enjoy it. Then one night Alfred Brendel comes to dinner. Me, I'd skip the piano recital that night, or I'd alter it in some way based on Brendel's presence. I'm not going to make him listen to two hours of my hack piano playing, no matter how much he claims it's okay.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think the piano analogy holds true - everyone needs to eat, only a select few can experience your hack piano playing. Chefs in general eat horribly when they aren't at work, as does the general public for the most part. Unless you think you're cooking can't measure up to the slop they serve at generic fast food joints, you're probably in the clear.

In the end, it depends how comfortable you as the host/cook are with the dishes you serve on an average night. Nearly every meal we cook is an attempt to make the best use of the ingredients we have available to us. I think it would be idiotic to serve a chef an identical dish to one they serve in their restaurant, but aside from that - make the best food you can with what you have.

I also suspect a case of nerves would appear. I am expecting to host a chef for dinner this summer and already, I'm thinking about what this guy would think about my knife skills, roast beef etc. There's something about cooking for someone who does it for a living that just makes me feel dumb trying without ever having done it. Unless it's Anthony Bourdain coming for dinner, (who's more likely to tell you if he really likes it), I suspect any chef will choke down politely whatever you make, but that's not what I'm looking for. How will I know it really is good enough?

I'm a decent cook, but when I was cooking for Chef at cooking school, I felt like I shouldn't be doing it.

I like Fat Guy's analogy, because that's how I'm feeling about this upcoming dinner. I'm thinking of ordering in pizza. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Several years ago, friends of ours from Orange County came to northern California for a visit. He was part owner of a French restaurant in the San Gabriel Valley, and a very good cook. We grilled a tri-tip, baked some potatoes and added a salad. They thanked us for the tasty meal and commented that too often people try to impress them with fancy sauces and difficult entrees. We had a wonderful time.

I suggest treating them like any other guest in your home.

Michael

That's a scary question. Yes absolutely, I can't change my modus operandi. I have to cook what I know. But even with my own little Chef-boy-wonder I kinda freak out inside when he comes home. He cooks stuff I can't pronounce much less even spell. He studies potatoes for crying out loud. I mean I'm thinking, potatoes are red, or brown, some are gold, who cares. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, we had one of his buddies traveling across the country to a new gig. He was leaving Patrick O'Connell 's to go work for Thomas Keller. hahaha Going from sea to shining sea and he stayed the night here in our little house. :rolleyes: I just did my own little thing. I remember I made some spanikopita but it never got served because they had already eaten I think. I can't remember what else I made. They had cookies & brownies to go I remember that. I think we were gonna go get bar-b q if they hadn't eaten. :biggrin: Yeah I was like the cowboy that rode off in all directions.

It is a very scarry thought. And obviously these guys are not the big named chefs but they cook not just circles but whirling winds and bright rainbows around me.

And it's also true that the chefs I have met have unlimited appreciation for the homemade meals they are served.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

My husband cooks for Chefs all the time. He's just a home cook, and we have a lot of Chef friends. People think we're crazy. He cooks whatever he does best, Cassoulet, or Indian food, Tarte Tatin (of course), Tarte au Citron...they love it.

Years ago, when he was a Maitre'd, he waited on Paul Bocuse in Philadelphia. The owner and Chef prepped for days, getting special food items in. All Paul Bocuse wanted was a Cheese Omelette and a glass of wine.

"An Omelette and a glass of wine".

Elizabeth David.

Philly Francophiles

I have never cooked for a "chef" but I have cooked for people that know how to cook really really good, or are wannabe chefs. They seemed to have good feedback. If a real chef came to my house, it would be a little nerve racking, but I would also look at it as an opportunity to learn...what was good, what was bad, what could have been done better. It's hard to offend me.

If they're coming to my house for dinner and not the restaurant then I think I'd be completely relaxed. Since it's summer I'd probably throw some pig and/or brisket in the smoker and do my versions of the usual suspects that accompany that type of thing, toss 'em a beer from the cooler and hope they're happy. I'd like to think someone with a beer in their hand and bbq sauce running down their chin is just enjoying it and not going over their foodie checklist. I think the restaurant would be more intimidating, whether it should be or not.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Me? I'd smoke a brisket and/or a butt, get some squishy white buns and make some slaw, and churn some ice cream. It's what I know best, and is very simple for me to put on the table. I'm not going to compete with the chef, who probably doesn't do much smoking meat on the kettle at low and slow temps. Out on the deck overlooking my garden? I guess I'm not thinking I'd compete, I showcase what I can do well and easily, giving me plenty of time to be a proper hostess.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Me?  I'd smoke a brisket and/or a butt, get some squishy white buns and make some slaw, and churn some ice cream.  It's what I know best, and is very simple for me to put on the table.  I'm not going to compete with the chef, who probably doesn't do much smoking meat on the kettle at low and slow temps.  Out on the deck overlooking my garden?  I guess I'm not thinking I'd compete, I showcase what I can do well and easily, giving me plenty of time to be a proper hostess.

Susan has taken my answer. I would do the EXACT same thing. And I agree with Mr. Shaw's original idea. Keep it simple.

Almost every time I see chef types eating out, they're chowing down on something like steak-frites. I expect that they're after something simple after all the fancy-schmancy stuff they spend their days with.

The only time I actually had a chef or two over, I cooked cassoulet, because most if it is done in advance and because, of the many things that go into a good dish, it rewards time and quality ingredients -- both of which I could easily provide -- more than high-level technique, of which I have a lesser supply.

Parallel question: what wine do you serve when a couple of Master Sommeliers are in the house?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We have a friend who is a chef. The first time he came to our place was on Super Bowl Sunday a few years ago. Let me tell you, he enjoyed those pigs in a blanket just as much as everyone else!

But I was surprised and flattered when he asked for my recipe for this eggplant/olive dip that I made. He's really a very down to earth guy (or maybe he was just being nice!).

Edited by Cleo (log)

I invited over a noted food personality known for her knowledge of Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and French creations.

I prepared an extensive multi-course Japanese feast that included okonomiyaki. It was a hit.

Like a many of the other posters, I've had to do this a few times. One thing that's interesting to me is how differently I cook for a Chef vs. a friend who happens to be a chef. A good friend of mine is a very accomplished professional (awards, cookbooks, etc) and we've been friends for a while. The first time we had her to dinner I was nervous, less because it was "a chef" and more because she had cooked for us many times and I was worried about the hospitality. Now when she visits it's just like having any friend over, I cook, we eat, a fun time had by all.

The real question seems to be how do we cook for A Chef, that is someone we don't know but have heard of but happens to be coming by. I agree with simple but I also don't want to underestimate the importance of joy/love/fun in your cooking. In my experience, the professionals in the world can "taste the love" better than most and really appreciate it in their food; in a way, the act of hospitality makes the food taste better to them (perhaps because they so rarely get to be the recipient of such hospitality). Therefore, if you take great joy in making the fussiest food with 3 sauces and a bevy of specialty ingredients, do it. Cook what you love in the way you love to cook and you'll almost always receive (sincere) compliments.

Finally, I try to focus on balance of flavors a bit more when the real pros are in the house. Again, well developed palates appreciate well seasoned food so.....

A few things I avoid:

1) Don't go on and on about how it's not "professional food", I'll do that with friends but it's rude to do it with strangers, especially professional chefs. Nothing like making a person feel bad for coming to dinner.

2) Don't obsess over presentation, I find that a relaxed setting and relaxed style is best. Besides, few of us (with the exception of some folks on this board) can compete with the pros here. If they wanted to go to a restaurant, they would.

In the end, I suppose there's no difference in cooking for a Chef and any other stranger; have fun, be welcoming, cook with love and make the social aspect of the event the focus (unless the purpose of the evening is to foodgeek out). These are the things we should do for a dinner party anyway.

I have a few chef friends and I agree that simple is best. In fact, most every instance of where a chef is asked what they cook at home or prefer to eat when they dine out the answer is almost always--simple good food nothing fancy.

Roast chicken, barbeque, some clams or oysters of good quality works when I entertain chefs. They seem to want to just relax and enjoy whatever you provide. It seems pointless to try to impress a professional chef and most would be rather uncomfortable if they sensed you were trying to impress them.

I also agree that trying to impress with an expensive or rare bottle of wine is often not the best idea either. Most chefs I know basically want to just hang out have some food and enjoy the company. Invariably barbeque or simple grilled stuff and beer always works well.

Great question Fat Guy!

The chef is a guest in your house I don't think he's judging you, he's pleased to be there. I've heard many chefs complain that no-one asks them out to dinner parties because everyone is too scared. So they are just pleased to be asked out to dinner.

That said I don't think this would be the time to do your El Bulli lite! Keep it fairly simple. We once had a Michelin starred chef to lunch. We made grilled clams with rocket and herbs. Followed by some wild boar pappardelle. He loved it because a) Everything was seasonal b) It was simple and tasted good and c) He felt comfortable.

So I say treat him like your other guests and don't show off (too much anyway!).

I have a number of chef friends I've cooked for many times. The best advice has already been stated, do what you do well, and keep it simple, and within your own abilities.

If you know you don't grill steak well, and it's always overcooked, don't do steak. If you love pan-fried fish, and do it well, go for it. Food of some other origin or region than the chef cooks every day is always appreciated. The best advice my chef friends have given home cooks - don't underseason (or overseason) your food. Taste it!

Above all - don't try and recreate one of their signature dishes!! :raz:

Let's face it, chef is not coming to dinner to critique your food, it's the company that counts.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

From some of the post here it seems chefs don't always cook elaborate meals at home. I would keep it simple and do what you are good at. A roast chicken done well is basic and classic but really I think they would be happy someone else was doing the cooking.

We have a lot of chef members here. It would be great to get their perspectives.

I think your instinct to keep it simple is right on.

Not that you don't stand a chance of impressing them if you cook something high-end that you do well. Just a sense that a chef going to a dinner party might be happy to have some home cookin'.

Thomas Keller joked that he started Bouchon so that he and his staff would have some place to get a meal after slaving in the kitchen at the French Laundry. It's easy to imagine that steak frites would hit the spot after a long day preparing alginated urchin carpaccio.

A cousin of mine who's a chef commented that he likes to cook in the oven at home ... stews and braises. Because at work he mostly does fast, a la carte, stovetop cooking. That might be true for other chefs as well.

Notes from the underbelly

We have a lot of chef members here. It would be great to get their perspectives.

Errr... well... I prefer to call myself a cook but I'm the top of the food chain in my kitchen so whatever you choose to call that I guess. I'm not a celebrity (and don't play one on tv) and don't have a cookbook but it's what I do for a living. I don't try to impress friends who are cooks/chefs (or anyone else for that matter if they're eating at my house) with fancy presentations, complicated menus, cutting edge techniques, etc. I want to give them good food and plenty of time to relax and have fun. That's what I like to find when I eat at a friends house as well. After spending all day with fancy this and schmancy that sometimes a big bowl of chicken and dumplings is the best thing in the world.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.