• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling and BBQ in Western Canada

I got the 220 with the collapsable stand.

I wanna hear about the clove/saffron recipe...  how'd that turn out?

Thanks

Brian

Ok no saffron. It was

- Ground cloves

- Garlic

- More paprika than I have ever been comfortable using

- Oregano

- Cumin

- Olive Oil

- Salt

- Pepper

The whole thing mixes into a nice little paste and I slathered it on my pork loins. mmm. My SO came home at this point complaining of being hungry so marination was fast tracked.

My BBQ was out of fuel :( (read above post and needing to buy one of them pony kegs of propane).

I seared the pork on my skillet at high and then shoved the whole thing into the oven at about 360C. I tried this new temperature probe and shoved it diagonally into the pork loin. It read 85C. Here's where I was a little confused. The recipe called for a temperature of 145C. I pulled the loin out only after 20 minutes because the temp probe read 145C. No way. It was definitely not done yet. It went back in for another 15 minutes.

On the second outing the pork was ready and resting. Served up with a quick salad. I really liked the flavours. The "crusty paste" was oh so good. I just ate a pork sandwich today from the leftovers.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Sounds like a good recipe.

I'm confused by the temperatures you say.... a pork loin would be a nice medium at 145 F - is that what you meant? I'd hate to see someone cook until their thermometer read 145 C ! Oh my!

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Sounds like a good recipe.

I'm confused by the temperatures you say....  a pork loin would be a nice medium at 145 F - is that what you meant?  I'd hate to see someone cook until their thermometer read 145 C !  Oh my!

Brian

Err... 145F yes. So that is a nice medium right? Then why was my loin totally rare inside when the thermo read 145F? I'm thinking it's not a very accurate measurement since I guess it takes a gradient reading (the thermometer is a long pole right? so the reading has to be an average of the entire length of the rod). Next time I might try burying the entire thing inside to see if makes a difference.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Well I'm reading into what you are saying... alot of grilling thermometers are metal probes with a cable wire to an outside reader. The temerature is actually taken near the tip of the probe thus when you use it, insert most if not all of the shaft thus you will be reading the deapest portion (thickest?) of the meat.

If you marginally inserted the probe and the temperature was 145 - that was likely the outside (i.e., 1-2 inches) of the meat and not the center of the roast where it can differ dramatically. This all leads to a under-cooked result.

145F for pork is rare-to-medium but if rested for 5-10 minutes it can rise to 150F - a good medium-rare temperature.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about coals to Newcastle. I'm off to Edmonton for a few days and I'm packing along a Vancouver bought piece of Tri Tip beef to do a BBQ when I get there (I don't want to take the chance of not finding the cut there).

I made this last year using the recipe Russ Parson's (one of our Gulleters as well as L.A. Times food columnist) gave in his L.A. Times article about Santa Maria BBQ, and with just crushed black pepper and garlic as the marinade it was phenomenally tasty.

I threw in some Applewood chips last time and was amazed at how much smoke flavour came through in the short cooking time (cooked rare).

Hey I hear Big T's BBQ in Calgary has closed a location(s)? Can anyone confirm where to get smoked bbq in Calgary?

By the same token, what other prairie cities have slow-smoked bbq restaurants?

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

CELEBRITY SIGHTING!

Saw Brian & Glenn on the BCTV morning news yesterday ....

... then came home to receive my monthly piece of propoganda from Coast Capital Savings, only to see the smiling faces of House of Q in the newsletter!

Brian, I think you guys have more than used up your 15 minutes of fame! Well done.

A.

Just shaking the money maker Arne!

The dishes we did for Global TV are really cool... at least in my completely biased opinion. Here's a couple that will be featured in the coming weeks:

Beer Brined Pork Chops with Smashed Potato and BBQ Onions

House of Q "Fish and Chips" - Citrus Halibut with Spicy Yam Fries

Grilled Cinnamon Toast with Stawberry and Banana Rum Flambe

Grilled Sirloin Taco's

BBQ (yes, slow-smoked) ribs - why not, it's a staple food

Everything was cooked on a grill, a side-burner or a smoker. We had three "stations" going all at the same time while filming - that was exhausting.

I hope you enjoy.

Brian

Edited by BBQ Brian (log)

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

A couple of tid bits:

- on the grill tonight - pork loin - pepper crust with orange glaze - maybe some rum as well since well, I like rum!

- for Baby Q users - have you had any issue with it not increasing the heat again once you've turned it down... let me clarify - the grill is hot, you turn it to the lowest setting then after a while turn it back up - but it doesn't come back to full flame?

- another bbq course coming up - similar to the now completed Serious Foodie class at NCAV - location Well Seasoned in Langley - Friday July 13th includes wine - course is called "Just Meats Please" - info at www.wellseasoned.ca

- anyone with an update on Big T's in Calgary?

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

A couple of tid bits:

- for Baby Q users - have you had any issue with it not increasing the heat again once you've turned it down...  let me clarify - the grill is hot, you turn it to the lowest setting then after a while turn it back up - but it doesn't come back to full flame?

- another bbq course coming up - similar to the now completed Serious Foodie class at NCAV - location Well Seasoned in Langley - Friday July 13th includes wine - course is called "Just Meats Please" - info at www.wellseasoned.ca

- anyone with an update on Big T's in Calgary?

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

The Weber Q I have (220) has a knack for lighting where the ignition point is and stopping midway through the ring. It seems that the Q likes to have ALL holes free of grime and bbq sauce for it to light cleanly. I quick skewer into each hole to clear any debris seems to solve any and all lighting - or "low to high" as you mentioned - problems I've ever had.

P.S. Great course at NWCAV. Useful info on BBQ's and smoking (!!). I really enjoyed the pulled pork and I intend to make the prawn skewers for Sandy for some wow effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a good source for bulk cheap hardwood, like hickory or apple, for smoking?

There has to be a better alternative to paying 5 bucks for a small bag of hardwood chips at Home Depot.

Does anyone know a good source for bulk cheap hardwood, like hickory or apple, for smoking? 

There has to be a better alternative to paying 5 bucks for a small bag of hardwood chips at Home Depot.

Go find yourself a neighbour with a fruit tree he/she is about to cut down.

Seriously. Any bbq-er/smoker is going to be very reluctant to give up their "source." Less of an issue in rural areas for obvious reasons.

Myself ... think millwork shops. A lot of off-cuts can be had if you know who to ask.

A.

I held a class on Sunday for those that wanted to learn more about competition bbq and smoking meat. One of the particpants, Ben, took alot of photos from the class. Here is his Fickr page with the photos...

Competition BBQ Class Photos

Try to not drool on your keyboard... please.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of bbq events coming up...

BBQ on the Bow - Calgary Sept 1-2 - Eau Claire Market

- 15th annual bbq competition - great time to be had in Calgary

BBQ on the Bypass - Langley Sept 9th - near Well Seasoned and Buns Master Bakery (on the Langley Bypass)

- samples for public as teams compete in 5 categories

info: BBQ on the Bypass web site

And, I haveta really encourage anyone with the slightest interest in competition bbq to join in at the Bypass... it's a single day cook where its perfect for those that are not sure if they want to get into the real thing. Let me put it this way, you probably are already cooking most of the items at home: sausage, ribs, chicken, salmon and beef are the categories. Maybe Neil and Arne will finally get a team together!

See you there.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

The BBQ Boys of North Vancouver came to Whistler and did a video of the festivities... including interviews with bbq competitors. (As a side note - BBQ Boys are the ones who have the DVD out on "how to grill" and hosted the bbq week on the Food Network in June...) Here's a link to the video:

Whistler BBQ Championships video

Twas a great time indeed.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all once again from the smoky hallows of my portable tent.

Two more competitions behind us (BBQ on the Bow in Calgary and BBQ on the Bypass in Langley) and after entering 11 categories we have come home with 9 more ribbons! Notable mentions are third place overall in Calgary (out of 23 teams), first place for bbq sauce (yes, the Apple Butter BBQ Sauce was the entry) and third for salmon at the BBQ on the Bypass (crab risotto stuffed salmon roll - grilled with asparagus) - it was tasty I admit.

Also, there are still a few bbq/grilling classes coming up including for those who know the Serious Foodie program at the NWCAV a Saturday class on September 29th. This is a hands on class where you cook tasty treats on the grill. Info at: NWCAV website.

Cheers and happy grilling!

Brian

Edited by BBQ Brian (log)

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

• 1 month later...

Greetings all,

Yeah I know it's the fall for us folks in Canada however for bbq-fans the grills and smokers go year round.

A couple of bbq teams from Western Canada are doing something notable this week... team Mad Cow from Langley with Wayne Fettback as the pitmaster and House of Q from Coquitlam (me) are off to Douglas, Georgia to represent Western Canada at the Best of the Best invitational championships November 2-3.

The tournament calls the top 5 teams from each North American region to compete to ultimately lay claim to who is really the best on the continent.

Friday, November 2nd is the day for turn-in trays to be sent to the judges for the invitational while Saturday will be the open category. There will be about 50 teams for the invitational and close to 100 for the open.

Here's a link for more information about the competition.

I'll post photo's when we're back and please, send us some good luck.

BBQ Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Greetings all,

Yeah I know it's the fall for us folks in Canada however for bbq-fans the grills and smokers go year round. 

A couple of bbq teams from Western Canada are doing something notable this week...  team Mad Cow from Langley with Wayne Fettback as the pitmaster and House of Q from Coquitlam (me) are off to Douglas, Georgia to represent Western Canada at the Best of the Best invitational championships November 2-3. 

The tournament calls the top 5 teams from each North American region to compete to ultimately lay claim to who is really the best on the continent.

Friday, November 2nd is the day for turn-in trays to be sent to the judges for the invitational while Saturday will be the open category.  There will be about 50 teams for the invitational and close to 100 for the open.

Here's a link for more information about the competition.

I'll post photo's when we're back and please, send us some good luck.

BBQ Brian

Good Luck !!!!

Bring home some hardware.

funny, Wayne Fettback has been to the HSG a few times................tell him I hope he comes in second, after you !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 4 weeks later...

Many of you have either met or heard of Lower Mainland BBQ legend Memphis Mike Well, Mike's turning 50 next month, and to celebrate he's holding a fundraiser for ACT (Autism Community Training). It's being held December 1 (Saturday) at Can Am Importique in Burnaby (3188 Thunderbird Crescent), with BBQ being served between 6 & 7:30, and blues (what else?) provided by "The So Tight Band."

Tix are $25 in advance or $35 at the door. Call Mike at 604-513-1777.

See y'all there!

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

• 1 month later...

Hey Calgary forum members.... I hear that Big T's is now one location only in the NW - true? It seems whatever (restaurant, nightclub) has gone into the McLeod location (near London Drugs) never lasts. It must be cursed. Can anyone confirm that the NW location is still going?

Also, what's the name of the churasco - Brazillian style - 'meat-on-a-stick - restaurant in Calgary? Any comments?

Thanks

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Does anyone know the background of the folks at the Smoking Crust by any chance? I've had their St. Louis style ribs several times now and they are by far the best I've experienced in the Vancouver area (including as a judge at the BBQ competition). Really blow others like Memphis out of the smoker.