• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling and BBQ in Western Canada

The Cowboy brand Charcoal is usually available at various Trader Joe's locations in Seattle, at ridiculous prices. Three or Four bucks for a twenty pound bag. It pays to stock up. It's nicely lumpty too, unlike the dusty crap consisting of floor sweepings you occasionally get at Ukrainian Tire.

I was in Gasland in White Rock on Friday and they had a nice stash of coal as well as Johnstones in North Van. The new location of Johnstones is just off Broadway in Port Coquitlam near the Mary Hill Bypass.

Anyone smoking Tri-tip's (beef)? If so, where are you getting meat?

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Ukrainian Tire.

I never quite understood this one...why Ukrainian Tire?

Because I'd already used Cambodian Tire upthread?

Its a colloquial name for CT in Western Canada! I've just never understood why?

I'd guess that it's because they sell a wide range of items with high utility but how to say it diplomatically, low design aesthetic. Two qualities that virtually sum up the Ukrainian experience in Western Canada. Plus their merchadise selection makes the heart of a Prairie dweller sing with potential, ratchet sets and cheap lightbulbs and pine scented rear view mirror air fresheners and maybe even tractor parts.

Basically Canadian tire is to Ukrainians as Prada is to Italians or Louis Vuitton is to Cantonese.

Plus it just sounds funny, comedy K's and all that.

I was smoking ribs this past weekend testing recipes. I started off with two full sides of ribs and I split them into two full racks each (cut along the cartilage separating the breast plate from the bones). Half of them went into a smoker (Weber) and half went onto my gas grill with indirect cooking. Both had the same slather, rub, baste and sauce. Interstingly, my guests found that they liked the grill roasted ribs for flavor over the smoked ones... hmmm? It wasn't necessarily that they didn't like the smoke flavor but they found that there was more diverse flavor from the grill roasted ones... interesting feedback for me.

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

yeah that Brian ... always hawkin' somthin'.  That BBQ class is coming up again at NWCAV in June.

As a BBQ newbie I'm really looking forward to the NWCAV class. That smoked meat that was brought to one of our NWCAV classes really got me interested.

mmmm

Can't wait.

My SO found that making pulled pork wasn't too hard with a slow cooker and nothing but time. Boy does that stuff stain tupper-ware containers. Better get them glass ones.

:biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

A couple of pics of the ribs...

TwoRacks.JPG

RibsClose.jpg

I thought they were good - considering I ate almost a whole rack! But the input was appreciated...

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

A couple of pics of the ribs...

TwoRacks.JPG

RibsClose.jpg

I thought they were good - considering I ate almost a whole rack!  But the input was appreciated...

Brian

Wow, those look beautiful! I am really glad I signed up for the NWCAV bbq class as well.

How I tell when our steaks are done.

For this system to work:

First, don't be a masher....one of those dreadful people that take the spatula and squeeze all the juice out of the steak (or hamburger patty - what the hell are those people thinking?). The steak has to be juicy, and preferably room temperature for this to work properly.

Second, you can't turn it over and over several times. If you're a serial fiddler when it comes to meat on the barbie, contain yourself.

Third, you have to like your steaks medium rare.

So, if all of those conditions suit you, here's my advice: Put your steaks on a hot fire (this works in a skillet as well) for five minutes. Then turn them over and watch them closely for small bubbles of juice to begin beading up on the surface. This is called "pearling," and when it happens, your steaks will be cooked to a perfect medium rare.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Wow, those look beautiful! I am really glad I signed up for the NWCAV bbq class as well.

Gorgeous. Magnificent. Meat.

I was casually browsing smokers yesterday. What are thoughts on the Weber 2820?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I was casually browsing smokers yesterday.  What are thoughts on the Weber 2820?

The Bullet as it's usually known, is IMO the best way to go for the casual smoker. Hell, even pros use them (ask Brian, Ronnie Shechuck, and many others), but it's really easy to learn how to use. Try chicken your first time out ... excellent results.

Have a look at www.virtualweberbullet.com for a great resource. Also, THIS thread (which focuses on pork butt) also has some good info on the Bullet.

Locally, Johnstones BBQ seems to have the best price.

A.

Have a look at www.virtualweberbullet.com for a great resource.  Also, THIS thread (which focuses on pork butt) also has some good info on the Bullet.

Thanks Arne!

:blink: The thread is hilarious and making me hungry. First the bullet then I guess a house to go with it. I assume smoking on a townhouse patio would earn the ire of my respective neighbors.

I hope Brian doesn't mind, but a couple weekends back House of Q was awarded Grand Champions at Ferraro Foods Smokin BBQ Cookoff in Trail, BC!

So what I want to know is ... how'd they do at Eat! Vancouver last weekend?

Brian?

A.

I hope Brian doesn't mind, but a couple weekends back House of Q was awarded Grand Champions at Ferraro Foods Smokin BBQ Cookoff in Trail, BC!

So what I want to know is ... how'd they do at Eat! Vancouver last weekend?

(grumble, grumble) oh raggle, fraggle, managle, baggle, fraggle....

Well, um, a first for us I gotta admit.... middle of the pack in everything where we are usually in the top 6 - there were 28 teams this year.

I, as well as the rest of our cooking team, had a fantastic time cooking musk ox which was the sponsored category for "Chef's Choice". I'll post pictures soon on that one as well. Each team that entered that category was provided a french rack of musk ox and long story short, it was like a cross of bison and beef. Rather lean but very tasty and not gamey at all as many expect. We seared it on high heat and went for a perfect medium-rare. Again, pictures soon. Dissappointingly, the coordinators of the competition do not provide full scoring sheets to know where you placed in that category.

Thanks for the question and yes we did qualify for the Kansas City Royal this year with the win in Trail. An invite to the Jack Daniels Invitational is still to be determined.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Here's a photo of the musk ox. The recipe we used was a pomegranate and mint marinade thus the nice carmelization on the outside.

Muskox%20compressed%20web.JPG

And Arne commented about the use of Weber Smoky Mountain cookers.... well I didn't get the chance to count how many teams are using them but it is at least half while some have home-made things and the remainder have the big trailer kettles. I thought this wall of kettles was cool:

Line%20of%20WSM3%20web.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

• 2 weeks later...

I just added to the gear... I bought a Weber Baby Q on Friday. I was tired of hauling around my deck grill to do cooking classes and demo's - ugh. The Baby Q is small, light and still stands up to the expectations that you want from Weber. Anyone else using a Weber Q as a portable grill?

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

We've got a Weber Q on our deck. We've had it for a year now, and are still in :wub: with it. There was a spot on bbq's on CTV news the other night, and the Weber Q was rated excellent, much better then many of the bigger, higher BTU brands. We also have the cart, which is great...makes it even more portable. Enjoy!

Just finished grilling pork burgers on the Baby Q - cool!

Recipe is real simple: ground pork and three tablespoons of my basic bbq rub - notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice - Apple Butter bbq sauce on the side - of course. Makes for a nice burger and the Baby Q did a fine job doing it's thing.

Wa hooo

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

I just bought a Weber Q a couple of weeks ago and can't stop using it. I especially love the heavy cast-iron grill, though I'm still trying to get it fully seasoned. It works great without taking up my entire balcony space.

We've got a Weber Q on our deck.  We've had it for a year now, and are still in  :wub: with it.  There was a spot on bbq's on CTV news the other night, and the Weber Q was rated excellent, much better then many of the bigger, higher BTU brands.  We also have the cart, which is great...makes it even more portable.  Enjoy!

I've had a Weber Q for just over a year now and I can't say enough good things. I am starting to see them absolutely everywhere on balconies. What I especially like about this grill is the grilling area! Oh my god. I can fit 20 patties easily on this thing (probably more if I didn't take up a chunk with an iron skillet full of onions. Yet, for such a surprisingly large area for grilling, the Q fits nicely in the back of my car for jaunts to the beach.

Taking the Q to work makes work so much nicer. Tell your coworkers you're bringing the 'Q' and have them all bring grill-ables. Set it up outside in the parking lot or a company patio and be the envy of coworkers on other departments (suckers).

When I first got mine I immediately modified the "propane" holder so it could take the chubbier propane canisters (which are coincidentally cheaper to buy).

I still need to buy a hose kit so I can use one of those cute "pony keg" style propane tanks.

Oh Pork Burgers how I love you. Brian you're on the right track. I have some pork loin defrosting right now. I picked up a recipe from a Magazine which involves a clove/saffron paste/rub which I intend to try tonight. I think it was called Pork with Adobo paste but it can't be the same adobo as in chicken adobo as cloves and saffron are not in that recipe. I better re-read the recipe when I get home :biggrin:

Edited by fud (log)