• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Kit Kat exotic flavors

They sometimes have them at Angel Seafoods. But try giving them a call before heading over, as the majority of the Japanese chocolates they have are on sale after they got a bulk special, so they change frequently: (604) 254-2824.

Another place that I've seen some of them in the past is Daiso down in Richmond: http://www.daisocanada.com/richmond.html

I don't recall ever seeing them at Fujiya or Izumiya markets. But they may be able to order them for you if they don't stock them.

You may also get lucky and find them at China World/Rice World down in Richmond. They have a variety of chocolates from Japan that change regularly too.

Good luck!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

Yep, I get them all the time from a few different places (4 out of 6 places are in Richmond):

1) Osaka supermarket in Yaohan Centre in Richmond;

2) The candy store upstairs in Yaohan Centre (I forget the name - it's something obvious that has the word "candy" in the name) - turn right at the top of the escalators, and walk towards the downwards escalators, then turn left at the Chinese herbal store - you'll see the candy store right away (let me know if this is confusing);

3) Izumi-ya on Alderbridge, near No. 3 Road in Richmond - turn in at the XS cargo entrance on Alderbridge;

4) The konbiniya on Robson Street in Vancouver - they have a small selection of KitKat, but I'm not sure if they have special KitKat (UPDATE: they only have 2 kinds: a milk one (white chocolate, the milk is from some special region of Japan that starts with "Naz...") and the adzuki one);

5) You might also find them at T&T (since T&T and Osaka are owned by the same people);

6) The candy store at Richmond Centre. I have no idea what the name is, but it's almost right across from the cinnamon bun place & it's close to Kin's Farm. The candy area is on the left side of the store.

I would say that your best would be 2) the candy store upstairs in Yaohan. Keep in mind that the special flavours of KitKat and all other candies usually show up here at least a couple months after they debut in Japan. Also, there are certain flavours that are only available in Japan, such as the regional flavours. Good luck & let us know how your search goes! :smile:

ALSO, upon seeing Vancouver's post, I would hasten to add that you must check the ingredients label to make sure that the chocolate is a product of Japan, not China. Japanese candy that's made in China tastes different (read: bad).

Edited by chocomoo (log)

^ Candyland!  THAT'S the name of the candy store at Yaohan!  They also have a location at Aberdeen Centre and other places.

By the way, HungryDog, here's the eGullet thread on  Japanese snacks (it seems that Kristin tries out all the new KitKat!) and Japanese candy.

Yeah, I think the first time I went to a Candyland store was in Yaohan. Was pretty happy to see it in Crystal Mall after.

• 5 weeks later...

Checked out Yaohan, T&T, Candyland and other stores in Richmond and no exotic flavor Kit Kats. They said they won't get it in until fall.

Going to Richmond is a nightmare. Can someone recommend a store that is guaranteed to have these Kit Kats so I don't have to drive the mental streets in Richmond?

Checked out Yaohan, T&T, Candyland and other stores in Richmond and no exotic flavor Kit Kats.  They said they won't get it in until fall.

Going to Richmond is a nightmare.  Can someone recommend a store that is guaranteed to have these Kit Kats so I don't have to drive the mental streets in Richmond?

You could just call one of the stores mentioned here to find out if they have them in stock. That would be the best way not to waste a trip out there.

Yep, I get them all the time from a few different places (4 out of 6 places are in Richmond):

1) Osaka supermarket in Yaohan Centre in Richmond;

2) The candy store upstairs in Yaohan Centre (I forget the name - it's something obvious that has the word "candy" in the name) - turn right at the top of the escalators, and walk towards the downwards escalators, then turn left at the Chinese herbal store - you'll see the candy store right away (let me know if this is confusing);

3) Izumi-ya on Alderbridge, near No. 3 Road in Richmond - turn in at the XS cargo entrance on Alderbridge;

4) The konbiniya on Robson Street in Vancouver - they have a small selection of KitKat, but I'm not sure if they have special KitKat (UPDATE:  they only have 2 kinds: a milk one (white chocolate, the milk is from some special region of Japan that starts with "Naz...") and the adzuki one);

5) You might also find them at T&T (since T&T and Osaka are owned by the same people);

6) The candy store at Richmond Centre.  I have no idea what the name is, but it's almost right across from the cinnamon bun place & it's close to Kin's Farm.  The candy area is on the left side of the store.

I would say that your best would be 2) the candy store upstairs in Yaohan.  Keep in mind that the special flavours of KitKat and all other candies usually show up here at least a couple months after they debut in Japan.  Also, there are certain flavours that are only available in Japan, such as the regional flavours.  Good luck & let us know how your search goes!  :smile:

ALSO, upon seeing Vancouver's post, I would hasten to add that you must check the ingredients label to make sure that the chocolate is a product of Japan, not China.  Japanese candy that's made in China tastes different (read: bad).

The only place with exotic flavored Kit Kat is Izumi-Ya in Richmond and it's red bean. Everyplace is sold out. Couldn't get through the phone at Konbiniya (got a fax tone.)

The only place with exotic flavored Kit Kat is Izumi-Ya in Richmond and it's red bean.  Everyplace is sold out.  Couldn't get through the phone at Konbiniya (got a fax tone.)

Sorry :sad: Do you work in downtown? Are you looking for specific Kit-Kat flavours? I have some Chocolatier ones (ujimaccha, kinako & ume; strawberry, pistachio, almond & thyme) but the boxes have already been opened. Honestly, they're not that special & I wouldn't get them again.

slightly off topic, but I recently read that Coca-Cola in Japan is producing a cucumber flavored cola or soft drink now.

Yep, here. You can scope out Osaka supermarket, Candyland, or Izumi-ya for it in a few months.

It's Pepsi, not Coke. I still haven't seen it, but I don't usually go to the soft drink section. I'm still looking for ordinary pepsi with Le Creuset magnets!