• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PDT (Please Don't Tell) -- St. Marks Place.

johnder

-- what are my chances and what is the best way to insure a spot for a drink(s) (and a Wylie dog??)

The most reliable way I've found is to show up right at 6 and get spots at the bar. But it has to be right at 6. Last week my coworker and I showed up at like 6:15, 6:30 and couldn't get in. In that case we went over to Death & Co for a drink, then went back and hung out at Crif Dogs till seats opened up. (You know how they say as soon as you light a cigarette at a bus stop, your bus will show up? I find the same works for hot dogs. As soon as the Crif Dogs lady hands you your order, bar seats open up at PDT.)

When I have a bigger group of people, I just call right at 3 and keep trying till I get through. I've usually been able to get something if I was a bit flexible about when I could make it.

FWD - possibly getting too intimately acquainted with that deer head at the end of the bar.

Elizabeth Licata

Will eat for food

• 3 weeks later...

Will be in town Saturday-Sunday July 5-6 and would consider it an honor to meet Donbert or Johnder. Assuming we can get in (we'll try the 3:00 res but still try for the bar, and come early, as we're quite unhip), are either there on Saturdays/Sundays?

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Will be in town Saturday-Sunday July 5-6 and would consider it an honor to meet Donbert or Johnder. Assuming we can get in (we'll try the 3:00 res but still try for the bar, and come early, as we're quite unhip), are either there on Saturdays/Sundays?

Their usual shift is Monday nights. There will be some excellent bartending though, whatever night you decide to go.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

After a couple drinks at Pegu Club a group of my friends walked over to PDT for our 10 pm reservation. I was quite excited to try the new menu and, through sharing, was able to try seven new drinks.

On the whole, the spring drinks at PDT are lighter than the drinks I've had there over the past 10 or so months I've been able to drink there. The Swiss Mist is scarily easy to drink, the kind of cocktail you could down in five minutes without even thinking about it. The French Maid was of a similar school but, to me, tasted like many other cocktails I've had before. The Mariner was, thankfully, not overwhelmed by the pineapple juice and picked up a really nice smoked spice note from the smoked cardamom syrup. I really liked the Coda though my friend didn't like the combination of creamy, citrusy, and spiced. The Beer Casis was an interesting drink but was a bit two-dimensional for my tastes. It tasted of beer, then fruit, almost like Lindeman's lambic. The Dewey D struck me as a well made negroni, though I would've liked a bit more bitterness. My memory of this drink is also a bit skewed. Finally, the Bee's Sip was kind of bizzare. It reads like a light, sweet drink but I actually found it pretty harsh. The distinct honey notes are there--the sake not so much--but it had a definite edge to it that I found nearly unpleasant.

So all in all, a very successful visit in which I got to try lots of stuff. The Wylie Dog is a good one, but I still think I like the Chang more. The lettuce on the former was a bit too much.

Would one of our PDT friends please do tell us how to make that? Is it 1:1 simple with a smoked cardamom infusion, or is there more?

We use smoked cardamom pods, bring it to a boil with a 1:1 simple syrup and let it steep. Cool. Enjoy.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Slipped in last night for a few drinks. The hostess was turning away several large groups when we arrived - Crif Dogs is not big enough to hold all the people who are interested in drinking at PDT.

Anyway, Bee's Sip was very nice and smooth. I liked the Mariner (even though I usually don't like scotch but the pineapple was a nice foil) and the French Maid more. The French Maid was perfectly refreshing and the first thing I had after I arrived. Really nice after being out in the warm night. Benton's was right on as usual, and on the smoky side. Liked the Coda but I wasn't in the mood for a spiced, creamy drink. My PDT-neophyte friend was suitably impressed with the drinks as well as the Wylie dog. The Dewey D and the Wylie dog were a fun pairing. I also turned my friend and my fiance onto the charms of the John John Deragon 'bagel' dog. Mmmmm.

Thanks to Don and John (the other John) for being such a great hosts. Can't wait for Don and Johnder's class at Astor on Sunday.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 2 weeks later...
Slipped in last night for a few drinks. The hostess was turning away several large groups when we arrived - Crif Dogs is not big enough to hold all the people who are interested in drinking at PDT.

Anyway, Bee's Sip was very nice and smooth. I liked the Mariner (even though I usually don't like scotch but the pineapple was a nice foil) and the French Maid more. The French Maid was perfectly refreshing and the first thing I had after I arrived. Really nice after being out in the warm night. Benton's was right on as usual, and on the smoky side. Liked the Coda but I wasn't in the mood for a spiced, creamy drink. My PDT-neophyte friend was suitably impressed with the drinks as well as the Wylie dog. The Dewey D and the Wylie dog were a fun pairing. I also turned my friend and my fiance onto the charms of the John John Deragon 'bagel' dog. Mmmmm.

Thanks to Don and John (the other John) for being such a great hosts. Can't wait for Don and Johnder's class at Astor on Sunday.

Speaking of PDT's dogs and cocktails, they are featured in the 'Pleasures' issue of MAP Magazine, where both Don & John are mentioned, as are the Chang dog and the John John Deragon...

MAP Magazine piece Please go to page 17.

I've tried most of the spring menu at this point - my favorite is "The Rite of Spring". Love that pickled ramp brine. It's refreshing and savory at the same time. Other favorites are the benton's old fashioned, the french maid, the swiss mist and the coda. I also enjoy the Hotel D'Alsace.

I can never decide between the chang dog and the wylie dog - they are both incredibly good. I haven't yet had the john deragon dog - but it sounds like it gets a lot of votes so I'll have to try it out soon.

I can never decide between the chang dog and the wylie dog - they are both incredibly good.  I haven't yet had the john deragon dog - but it sounds like it gets a lot of votes so I'll have to try it out soon.

I had a bite of the Wylie dog. Fried Mayo rocks! More than a bite would have been too much, after a tasting menu at momofuku ko.

The john deragon dog looks just a wee bit too rich for me (sorry johnder! :raz: ). Well, I guess on an empty stomach it would be manageable...

The Dewey D is cool. I would have a hard time figuring out that it had sherry in it if the menu didn't say so. Rye and Aperol are definitely the dominant flavors. The Bee's Sip is (surprisingly) not at all sweet. Very floral and rather exotic. I like. :smile:

sorry, been traveling a lot recently.

PDT is indeed open tomorrow. Normal operating hours for a Friday. 6pm - 4am.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

really like that Mariner.  who's is it?

That would be me. Glad you like it!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

The Mariner

2 oz Compass Box Oak Cross

1/4 oz fresh pineapple juice

1/4 oz fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz smoked simple syrup

stir, rocks

lemon twist

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

• 3 weeks later...